PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

only me
15-Sep-10, 21:57
Hi

Just wondering what everybody is doing for halloween this year as it falls on a Sunday, do you still go out on the Sunday or do you go out on Saturday 30th instead?

Dadie
15-Sep-10, 22:02
Erm...im still looking at outfits!
3 bears....if I can take Euan or I will have to have a lot of wine and dress up myself....:lol:
I think its still the day halloween falls on..but if you get a lot of kids on the sat dont blame me:D
Still need a goldilocks..but might have that covered!

balto
15-Sep-10, 22:21
i mind the last time it fell on a sunday, most kids went out on the saturday, i for one wont allow my kids out trick or treating on a sunday, it seems wrong.

Aaldtimer
16-Sep-10, 03:03
i mind the last time it fell on a sunday, most kids went out on the saturday, i for one wont allow my kids out trick or treating on a sunday, it seems wrong.

Actually Balto, in Scotland it's called "Guising", and what's wrong with doing it on a Sunday?:confused

golach
16-Sep-10, 08:28
Actually Balto, in Scotland it's called "Guising", and what's wrong with doing it on a Sunday?:confused

Hear hear Aldtimer, I cannot stand this Americanism, Guising was fun and harmless. dressing up, no "special" outfits, laddies usually in a mothers owld dress or skirt, lassies in some masculine outfit, faces painted, part of the fun was the disguise in Guising, and doing your little turn, before getting a treat.

Dadie
16-Sep-10, 08:44
Aye we try to get our kids to do a turn....even if its a rendition of incy wincy spider!
And if its me that opens the door the kids there have to do something before they get their bag (sweets, apple or tangerine and crisps stickers etc).
I put quite a bit of thought and efforts into making up the bags and decorating the porch so a wee bit of an effort by the kids with a wee song, joke or rhyme etc goes a long way!
Just shouting trick or treat gets nothing!

And I dont really like teenagers at the door (not dressed up expecting money and not a bag of goodies)
We would get a few of them when in town every year...
... think guising is just for primary school kids and at a push 1st year highschool..

brandy
16-Sep-10, 10:12
traditionally, its on a sat. when Halloween falls on a Sunday. i will be taking the boys out on Sat.

_Ju_
16-Sep-10, 12:36
And if its me that opens the door the kids there have to do something before they get their bag (sweets, apple or tangerine and crisps stickers etc).

I had an apple (given by another household) thrown against my window one halloween, so now I make sure I go to bed early or am out of the house on halloween/guising.

ShelleyCowie
16-Sep-10, 13:26
Aye we try to get our kids to do a turn....even if its a rendition of incy wincy spider!
I put quite a bit of thought and efforts into making up the bags and decorating the porch so a wee bit of an effort by the kids with a wee song, joke or rhyme etc goes a long way!
Just shouting trick or treat gets nothing!

And I dont really like teenagers at the door (not dressed up expecting money and not a bag of goodies)
We would get a few of them when in town every year...
... think guising is just for primary school kids and at a push 1st year highschool..

I had 5 teenagers at my door last year, couldnt believe it! they were about 15 years old! Asked them if they were havin a laugh. Not dressed up either. Might make me sound nasty but i turned them away!

Does anyone still give monkey nuts? I loves them! :) But i end up eatin alot o them myself and have to run and get more to give to the kiddies haha.

Its nice for the kids to do a wee song or joke, so i agree with you dadie, if we can go to the effort of anything then so can they.

Big N Rich
16-Sep-10, 13:35
Does anyone else think that is too early, we are not even in October yet. Soon enough you'll be talking about Christmas.
When I was young I made a costume the night before and didn't need to plan in advance.

This year I am going as Batman :Razz

EDIT: Ok there already is a Christmas thread

Kodiak
16-Sep-10, 13:38
I find that where I live that most Kids who come round on "Halloween" are only interested in getting Treats.

They bang on my door and when you answer they thrust a big plastic bag under your nose and yell "Trick or Treat". They then just stand there waiting for their treat.

If you ask them what are they going to do for their treat they say either "Nothing" or repeat "Trick or Treat"

Some of the tounger ones are nice and polite but as they reach 10 or 12 they become quite rude.

I now find the whole "Halloween" experience ruined by this "Trick or Treat" attitude and I now in two minds whether to open my door at all to these Trick or Treaters. I just might go to bed early this year.

mumof2
16-Sep-10, 14:40
on the subject of kids doing a turn i am trying to think of a wee rhyme or something to do. my daughter is quite happy to sing a song but my son is shy, he is eight so nothing too babyish. would ideally like something funny but i have no ideas. Oh and they will be guising on the Saturday then back to mine for a wee party involving dooking for apples and strung up doughrings (not pancakes or scones cana hang them up as easily)

orkneycadian
16-Sep-10, 18:11
do you still go out on the Sunday or do you go out on Saturday 30th instead?

Folk dont celebrate Christmas or New Year on a Saturday, so it beats me why everything else gets done on the nearest Saturday. :roll:

Personally, I'll be dooking for apples out of cider on the Sunday evening! Makes for a lot more fun when your rubbish at getting the apples![lol]

Duncansby
16-Sep-10, 18:22
dooking for apples out of cider[lol]

:lol:that's brilliant I can't believe I've never thought o' at

Duncansby
16-Sep-10, 18:23
on the subject of kids doing a turn i am trying to think of a wee rhyme or something to do

What about one of Roald Dahl's revolting rhymmes. I'm sure at'd appeal to your boiygie ;)

Scarybiscuits03
16-Sep-10, 18:52
Folk dont celebrate Christmas or New Year on a Saturday, so it beats me why everything else gets done on the nearest Saturday. :roll:

Personally, I'll be dooking for apples out of cider on the Sunday evening! Makes for a lot more fun when your rubbish at getting the apples![lol]

I'll 2nd that, why would you celebrate it on another day? Im sure there will be a lot of people unprepared for guisers on the Sat night as they are a day early!!! Why wouldn't you do it on the Sunday? Confused!

orkneycadian
16-Sep-10, 19:09
:lol:that's brilliant I can't believe I've never thought o' at

Go for it, but you'll need to start thinking about getting the cider brew on about noo!

Dadie
16-Sep-10, 19:46
Mo what about...
One fine day
In the middle of the night.
Two dead men got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
drew their swords and shot each other

think there is more but thats all I remember

Vistravi
16-Sep-10, 19:56
My step dad makes a good show on halloween. Has cobwebs, black fabric everywhere, remote control spiders and other creepy crawleys(much to mum's horror ha ha) The kids love it. Everyone in the house has to be dressed up too.

dessie
16-Sep-10, 23:32
You come to Lybster Hall Fancy Dress Halloween Party on Saturday 30th at 8pm JUDE playing live, Not to be missed.

Fran
18-Sep-10, 00:40
I used to love haloween and giving things to the kids when they came to the door. Now I hate it as it will be 3 years since "himself" died, and the kids were knocking at the door as he was dying. He had been so looking forward to haloween as usual.Hopefully I will be working this year.

2boyz1girl
19-Sep-10, 16:22
Mo what about...
One fine day
In the middle of the night.
Two dead men got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
drew their swords and shot each other

think there is more but thats all I remember

My son just had this in his Reading book for school. You had it bang on, no more to it! I luv Halloween, we decorate the hall so the kids get in the mood, but last year we hardly saw anyone. My kids will be going out on the saturday night, I'm sure that's what happened the last time it fell on a Sunday. And yes I think there should be more than trick or treat said. Mine all practice their jokes, I'd be mortified if my kids just expected to get sumfin for nothin!

Dadie
19-Sep-10, 19:59
I thought it was short enough to be learned off by heart...but long enough to show that some effort went into it for a 8 year old!
Plus it has a halloween type of story to it!
*sigh*
Sorry everyone if you get 20 odd kids reciting the poem...

annemarie482
19-Sep-10, 23:15
when i lived in the village i used to turn off all the lights and go watch telly in the bedroom.........or most years......hit the pub to avoid the naff jokes!! :lol:

but now i've got 2 wee kiddies i suppose they'll be wanting me to chaperone them about!:roll::lol: