PDA

View Full Version : Young Colt

GruesomeTwosome
15-Sep-10, 16:47
Hi All

Looking for some hints and tips with my new clydesdale yearling colt. I have just had him a couple of weeks and he is starting to come round and get quite boistrous now. He was hardly handled before I got him and when he was he was handled very roughly which has made him quite jumpy. He has come a long way in just a couple of weeks but I am struggling to get anything done with him when I am on my own as he wont tie up yet, I usually have to wait til my OH can come and hold him. I dont let him off with any bad behaviour but all the corrections is leaving very little time to actually do anything with him yet.

Any hints and tips??

munron
15-Sep-10, 19:52
Hey GT, I am useless in the tips department as I do everything wrong :) I hope you get some useful info, best of luck x

donnick
15-Sep-10, 21:26
Hello not sure if she does joining up but she has a round pen so worth a try why dont you give Jean Gunn a call 01955603270

froal
16-Sep-10, 21:27
hi, You can make your own round pen with electric fencing but you can do a join up anywhere, i've done many and is handy when you've a horse it won't catch ! :roll:
just takes time and patience plus the recent weather will not be helping !
pm me if you need help ! :)

GruesomeTwosome
20-Sep-10, 13:07
Thanks all, we are getting on a lot better with him. He is finally standing for more than two minutes to get groomed and tended too and hopefully he will start to enjoy it. I will be starting ground work with him shortly so hopefully that will help too.

froal
20-Sep-10, 17:29
Hi Gald your getting on well it takes a horse/pony time to settle in to a new home and as long as he doesn't fear you he should come on leaps and bounds...!!!:D
You'll have to post pic's of this handsome boy :D

Jovi
20-Sep-10, 19:29
Hi,glad to hear that your colt is settling,hope all goes well with your groundwork :D

GruesomeTwosome
21-Sep-10, 16:16
Here's the boy

munron
21-Sep-10, 16:25
He is fantastic looking GT, I wish you all the best with the feather washing for shows though :)

Look forward to meeting him in the big bold handsome flesh soon x

AliciaMackinnon
21-Sep-10, 19:11
I want!!!! Hes gawjus!!!!!!!!!

froal
21-Sep-10, 19:22
What alovely Big boy how big will he make ?? :D

amanda
21-Sep-10, 21:24
Hello
Hes a hansome boy did you get him from orkney.Im sure Ive seen that hansome boy before

merlzin
21-Sep-10, 22:12
He's gorgeous.I love clydesdales.:D

Jovi
22-Sep-10, 08:21
Handsome, lovely big man :)

GruesomeTwosome
22-Sep-10, 17:09
Thanks for the lovely comments, yes he came from Orkney, my family came from Orkney so it only seemed right! ha ha. He should make approx 18HH.

Nic - I have a secret weapon there which works fantastic on the feathers. Does Dino have big white hairy feet too as I will share my secret with you! ha ha

munron
22-Sep-10, 20:09
Ha ha GT no way, Dino will go in a hunter class so off with the feathers I say if I can get at them :) Just need my magic white pooder although sometimes use a bit much I think I was the cause of all the clouds above Canisbay this year :)

donnick
22-Sep-10, 20:14
aww you lad is lovely and glad to hear he coming along ;)

GruesomeTwosome
24-Sep-10, 10:40
Ha ha GT no way, Dino will go in a hunter class so off with the feathers I say if I can get at them :) Just need my magic white pooder although sometimes use a bit much I think I was the cause of all the clouds above Canisbay this year :)

Ahh, that explains it, I thought it was steam coming out my sister's ears when my neice took a tantrum! ha ha. I am dying to see Dino, I must pop in and have a wee pet with Paddy too of course!

I think Wullie has had bits and pieces trimmed on him prior to his arrival [evil] but I am hoping he will come on and it wont have caused too much hassle.

AliciaMackinnon
24-Sep-10, 10:43
Thanks for the lovely comments, yes he came from Orkney, my family came from Orkney so it only seemed right! ha ha. He should make approx 18HH.

Nic - I have a secret weapon there which works fantastic on the feathers. Does Dino have big white hairy feet too as I will share my secret with you! ha ha

My god hes gonna be huge!!! Always wanted a big clysdale!!! Stupid question but ruffly how big do horses grow?

Thanks!