PDA

View Full Version : The Sporran

sandyr1
14-Sep-10, 16:42
Today I read that the Sporran, yes the Traditional Scottish Sporran is usually/ normally made from.......wait for it...... Seal Skin!
It seems that those who produce same, are complaining that they are having trouble obtaining this item, and feel that that they are being discriminated against.
Seems a tad strange that the last talk on seals was how Canada was such a 'heathen country", when the Scots require the 'finest pelts' for their Sporrans........and by golly they are going to continue their tradition.
Kind of like the United States complaining about the Canadian Oil Sands, when it fact much of the oil produce is shipped to the Unites States, in fact they are demanding that Canada raise their output!
Perhaps those from the UK who do the shouting, should take a look closer at Hame! Without demand there would be no supply.

Duncansby
14-Sep-10, 16:51
The EU baned the sale of seal skin and the sale or manufacture of anything made from seal skin has been illegal in the UK since the 20 August.

You might find this Scotsman (http://news.scotsman.com/news/Pony-used-for-sporrans-after.6526864.jp) article interesting.

sandyr1
14-Sep-10, 17:24
Perhaps you can attach the Sporran with the ' Disgusting' one.....tks....s

brandy
14-Sep-10, 17:56
other than the pop. levels of seal is there any other reason the use of meat skin is "discusting"?
something i never understood .. being the backwards redneck hillbilly that i am..
if its cute and furry.. its bad and evil to kill it, eat it or wear it.
yet things like cows and pigs are slaughtered by the masses every day so that we can eat, and wear their skins.. what is the dif?
saw where a whale died on a beach in florida and a local man cut off the tail to take home to make into a stew.. he was considered a monster.. why? its meat.. why not use it.. why is it desecration?
i think hunting for sport is wrong. but that if you hunt and use skin, fur and meat then whats the big deal.. unless its an endangered species that we are trying to up the pop. in

Rheghead
14-Sep-10, 20:10
No tradition is worth any cruelty to animals, especially if there are alternatives.

sandyr1
14-Sep-10, 21:18
Well, it would appear that every person who wears a kilt is wearing part of a baby seal!

Alba.gu.brath
14-Sep-10, 21:26
Cow pig Sheep Deer Seal ? not endangered

Duncansby
14-Sep-10, 21:39
Well, it would appear that every person who wears a kilt is wearing part of a baby seal!

Only if they wear a sporran.

Besides sporran's have traditionally been made from a variety of different materials. Vegan ones have also been produced by a few company's so everyone who wears a kilt is not necessarily wearing part of a baby seal.

golach
14-Sep-10, 22:09
My sporran is leather, and my kilt is made of wool, not seal skin sandy[lol]

sandyr1
14-Sep-10, 22:16
My sporran is leather, and my kilt is made of wool, not seal skin sandy[lol]

You could be correct.....Leather....dark sealskin, rabbit.....a great selection!