PDA

View Full Version : Crows- how do I get rid of them without WMD's

Even Chance
14-Sep-10, 10:50
I have a crow problem.
There are hundreds of them around our area in Wick every morning around the back of 6. They land on the house roof and wake me up with the noise of them landing on it, then squaking. Its doin ma heid in an ats a fact. They calm down or leave by the time I get up at 7.

I'd dearly love to nuke every last one of them, but I dont believe thats allowed in the town.:eek:

Any ideas?

Whats attracting them?

Help!

ducati
14-Sep-10, 11:15
Can't. You'll have to move house.

But if a mysterious, stealthy UAV...........:eek:

Even Chance
14-Sep-10, 11:22
Now Ive actually thought using the UAV a few times now to buzz them but getting myself motivated to fly it at that time of the morning after a rude awakening is difficult to say the least. I'd have to get up early and lie in wait for them.
Ive read that the US air force use them to scare crows away from their airbases!

Kodiak
14-Sep-10, 11:48
Just get your Mother-in-law to come and stay with you for a few weeks. Then get her to stand on the roof every morning as the sun comes up. That should do the trick, Simples. [lol]

DeHaviLand
14-Sep-10, 11:54
Crows are solitary birds, what you have is a rook problem!

Kodiak
14-Sep-10, 11:56
Ahhh Those Chess pieces do tend to flock together. Good job it was not the Bishops Gathering. [lol]

Even Chance
14-Sep-10, 12:34
Aah well.

How do I rid myself of these Rooks then?

Machine-gunning them would be fun, but no use Im afraid.......

Dog-eared
14-Sep-10, 12:44
You can get plastic owls from yacht chandlers for keeping birds off of fancy boats.

Even Chance
14-Sep-10, 13:40
Aye, I saw these in the Gael-Force chandlery catalogue.
All the yachting forums I frequent say these are a load of rubbish that the birds get used to and ignore.

Saveman
14-Sep-10, 13:46
Some would locate their roosting area and take them out when they're "branchers."

That's what some would do.

Even Chance
14-Sep-10, 14:37
Some would locate their roosting area and take them out when they're "branchers."

That's what some would do.

"Some" have thought about that, but the trees at the Parish Kirk are where they live. Still no use for the machine gun.:(

My best thoughts so far are to use my UAV or one of its smaller model aircraft brothers "dressed up" with big eyes painted under the wings to look like something mean and distressing to Rooks, and dive bomb them when they perch on my roof. Surely a few days or so of this will get them the idea to move on in peace?

ducati
14-Sep-10, 22:06
Yep, my local Rookery gets very disturbed when there is a Rock Eagle :cool: about.