PDA

View Full Version : Current dental appointment procedure?

Sara
19-Jul-06, 08:13
I had a filling fall out sometime in the night I think and woke up with some horrible toothache, so I thought I'd check here that there aren't any new developments on places to go while I wait to call the highland dental line...

Anyone doing free care if you're pregnant? I'm thinking that they will suggest pulling the tooth, but do have the free card if I'm able to use it anywhere.

Is my best bet still to phone the dental line and wait, or is there a better option??

Thanks!

Lucy
19-Jul-06, 08:17
i would phone the dental line. My husband and daughter have both used it and it was quite cheap (the dearest was £8). that way you should be seen quickly and they will probably just put in a temporary filling to keep you out of pain. this will give you time to look around to use your free card to get some proper treatment done.

Sara
19-Jul-06, 08:21
Thanks Lucy. Yes, I used it last year and the filling that has now fallen out was £4 to put in, but it wasn't temporary... or at least he didn't mention that bit! He wanted to pull it then, so if he suggests it again I'll go for that option.

simpsoney
19-Jul-06, 09:28
If you phone the NHS Dental Helpline and they will give you an appointment at the Bridgend Dentist in Thurso or Neil Erridges in Wick, but remember to tell them you are pregnant. You should not have to pay anything if you are pregnant. Just tell them when you go in and all you have to do is sign a form to say why you do not pay for your treatment at the moment.

I am pregnant at the moment too and i have been to see the dentist several times now with broken teeth etc.

Hope you get it sorted!

Sara
19-Jul-06, 09:56
Thanks Simpsoney. I'll bring my card with then and let them know. :)

Buttercup
19-Jul-06, 12:22
You can only phone the Helpline between 9am-10am (call outwith this time and your told to phone back then).They take your details. If they decide you need urgent treatment you'll get a call from the local dentist with an appointment. If they decide it's not urgent you're just told to ring back if you're in pain. If the "emergency dentist" does "temporary" work you phone the helpline and they once again take your details and you will eventually be given an appointment with a dentist but they don't do anything to your teeth just assess them to see if you can be given priority and if not your just left as before i.e. four years without a dentist to attend your teeth and cavities getting bigger and beyond repair - quite annoying for someone who used to attend regularly for checkups!
You do not pay the "emergency dentist" but will be sent a bill from the NHS.

Of course there is always a way of jumping a queue.
Personally know of someone who (was with a private dentist and gave it up), has managed to get an appointment for herself and her daughter because she's a friend of a dental assistant!

babybunt
19-Jul-06, 19:12
I work in a dental practice and you need to phone first thing in the morning to the helpline and then the helpline put the list through to us late morning and then we phone the patients on the list with an appointment that same day probably in the afternoon.
You will not need to pay as you are pregnant and you just need to sign a form. The treatment that will be done will only be temp just to get you out of pain. 0845 6442271.

engiebenjy
19-Jul-06, 19:39
Are there any dentists locally that will take on NHS patients, or do they all want to charge you ludicrous amounts just for the priviledge of being on their books?

dirdyweeker
19-Jul-06, 20:12
do we not have the new dental premises opening soon at the business park?

babybunt
19-Jul-06, 20:17
no none of the dental practices in thurso or wick are NHS only private but if you are a private patient your children will be seen on the NHS.

Sara
19-Jul-06, 21:02
Thank you everyone for the input. My update is that I sat on the phone ringing just at 9 so that I could get through as soon as the answering machine went off! I did and then they got back to me before 11am with an appointment in Wick. I thought it might be just a temp fix, but they did a full wisdom tooth extraction & accepted my exemption card, so no fees to pay. :)

Phoebus_Apollo
19-Jul-06, 22:14
Are there any dentists locally that will take on NHS patients, or do they all want to charge you ludicrous amounts just for the priviledge of being on their books?

I, along with countless others no doubt, have the privilege (ahem!!) of paying £15 per month for a dentist in Thurso[evil]. i am considering opting out of the scheme and using the emergency helpline as a last resort. The situation up here is insane why we suffer in silence is worse.

connieb19
19-Jul-06, 22:31
I, along with countless others no doubt, have the privilege (ahem!!) of paying £15 per month for a dentist in Thurso[evil]. i am considering opting out of the scheme and using the emergency helpline as a last resort. The situation up here is insane why we suffer in silence is worse.I pay the £15 a month too, for me a filling is £45, after hearing a filling is only £4 on the emergengy treatment, I think I will definitely be cancelling my directdebit to the dentist in Thurso. It also costs you £10 if you miss[disgust] an appointment!!

Phoebus_Apollo
19-Jul-06, 22:34
I pay the £15 a month too, for me a filling is £45, after hearing a filling is only £4 on the emergengy treatment, I think I will definitely be cancelling my directdebit to the dentist in Thurso. It also costs you £10 if you miss[disgust] an appointment!!

Yeah - it kind of makes a mockery of the people who have to fork out this £15 charge when you can get it done on the cheap!!:lol:

babybunt
20-Jul-06, 19:37
£4 on the emergency dental service is not for an actual filling but for a temp filling and that will only last 3 months approx