PDA

View Full Version : How to Look Good Naked

bagpuss
18-Jul-06, 23:09
Like many ladies I've been watching this with great interest. Forget the man who does the show- it's June Kenton of Rigby and Peller who is the real star for me.

How many of us larger ladies have felt short changed since all undergarments have been made outside the UK? I used to be able to find things that fitted and didn't itch like hell when M&S had all their stuff made in the country. Nowadays all undies tend to be made in China and M&S- and lots of other stores sizing has changed drastically.

I have an amazing bra that I bought in Mackays-which does the lifting and arranging business- but it has a raw seam in a very delicate place and after about an hour it itches like hell. It's made in China.

I have no problem with clothing made anywhere in the world- I'd just like to know it will serve its purpose and not bring me out in a rash. But it looks as if decent underwear nowadays comes at a price. (I wonder where Underworld in Corrie supplies?)

perhaps Mr Mandelson can do us a favour- only European undies allowed?

goldenguernsey
19-Jul-06, 03:18
Hi, there is a good website in Caithness that does bra's for us larger ladies. I think I found it from the business section on here, looked really good and worth a try.
Hope this helps....

Lolabelle
19-Jul-06, 03:42
Hi,
as a larger lady also, I can tell you that it is awful trying to get a decent bra. I went to a lingerie shop last week and asked for my size. The insy winsy little girl (12yrs old I think), told me that the only go to size 16, so feeling spitting mad I left the shop with no comment. I have found that any decently constructed and designed bra's cost about $60+ au. I am not sure what that would be in pounds but most likely more than double. Let alone if you want a pretty one as well. Mmmm. Maybe that is a business worth looking into, lovely looking, good support & comfort lingerie for lovely larger ladies??;)

Ricco
19-Jul-06, 07:34
One inspired lady (a farmer's wife) founded a new business back in the desperate times of BSE culling, etc. She started up a site for ladies of a larger size and is doing very well. She has taken over most of the farm and the business keeps expanding.

www.amplebosom.com (http://www.amplebosom.com)

mccaugm
19-Jul-06, 10:08
http://simplybeuk.drct2u.com/home.jsp

http://www.bravissimo.com/bravissimo/CategoryList.aspx?cid=Lingerie&language=en-GB

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/nsf/qwiser.asp?term=Plus+Size

Hope these help. I buy my underwear in either Tesco or M & S and I have no problems but I am not that well endowed so I do feel for you.

Murdina Bug
19-Jul-06, 11:15
I have bought from the Figleaves website and the range is great but, as with all clothing, different manufacturers have different takes on sizes and fit so I tend to end up sending 75% of stuff back.

Try SECRETS lingerie shop in Dempster St, Wick. I haven't been in since they moved to that location but they certainly were stocking sizes larger than a D cup!

I had to laugh not too recently in a Thurso shop when I enquired if they stocked anything higher than a C cup - the woman serving said no and she found that awkward as she had to go to Inverness for hers as well !! She works there for heavens sake - you think she could have suggested to whoever was ordering that a bigger size range might be helpful..... :eek:

Tristan
19-Jul-06, 11:50
doing a quick Google it seems that average British bra size is a 36C. So if the shop only carries up to C they are excluding half the female population.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=395223&in_page_id=1879

rockchick
19-Jul-06, 16:53
<snip>

Try SECRETS lingerie shop in Dempster St, Wick. I haven't been in since they moved to that location but they certainly were stocking sizes larger than a D cup! <snip>

Why do they call it SECRETS when there are no window coverings, so that anyone walking by can see who is in the shop?

Hint for the shop owners - ladies buying lingerie like a bit of privacy! or at least should feel like they have some. Cover up the windows or put a screen up!

Bingobabe
19-Jul-06, 17:45
No problem in the bra area always been on the smaller size but my friend has a lot of trouble buying a bra and has to go to a city to get one and the prices are unreal. I feel for you larger size bra lady,s and in another way i envy you.

bagpuss
19-Jul-06, 23:03
I used to rely on M&S, but found that in recent years their sizing has gone all to pot. These days I do end up shopping at Bravissimo. The rest of me isn't that big, actually. To get something that is well constructed and comfortable means spending serious money- but it's worth it to be free of discomfort.

The Mackays stuff looks great-the sizing is a bit odd though- and you need to look inside the cups to see if there are raw seams.

M&S have a fitting service- but you can still end up with the wrong size- and a lesser quality garment- not matter what your size.