PDA

View Full Version : Wasps?

Dadie
13-Sep-10, 10:54
Is there anything I can use to kill the ones that get in my livingroom as I have a fishtank and cannot use raid.
Im going through a can of raid a week at the moment in the rest of the house as the wasps keep coming in and they are angry...the rest of the time its easy stick a glass over them and put them back outside..but at this time of year...not a hope!
We dont have a nest in our house or shed!
Any deterants would be good to stop them getting in ...
Windows and doors are left open by kids....

Shabbychic
13-Sep-10, 11:08
Try making a wasp trap. You will find simple details here (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap).

Dadie
13-Sep-10, 11:23
Always wondered about how to get the wasps out...
These type are fine in the garden..but dont fancy them in the house, just incase Iona or Lauren investigate them!
It was interesting to find out you could bait them with other things instead of the sugary water..
The washing up liquid is to reduce the surface tension on the water so the pests drown easier!

Scunner
13-Sep-10, 12:00
pour it through a sieve, recycle, recycle

Cattach
13-Sep-10, 12:27
Try making a wasp trap. You will find simple details here (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap).

I made a couple years ago - with undiluted orange juice in them they work a treat.

Scarybiscuits03
13-Sep-10, 12:29
Might be worthwhile investing in a fly net - they velcro to your door frame so it doesn't really matter if the door gets left open.

Julia
13-Sep-10, 13:22
I have a fly-zapper bat which electrocutes then on contact, you need to kill em quick tho as they send out a signal to other wasps for backup. I usually have a bad wasp problem every summer but not too bad this year, only had about about six whereas the norm would be at least 6 a day!

Dadie
13-Sep-10, 13:36
Im at the 6 a day situation at the moment:eek:
Its making me paranoid that the kids will get stung!

Dadie
14-Sep-10, 13:52
5 killed this morning...and another tin of raid bought!
I hate their silly season...hopefully it wont last too much longer!

Scarybiscuits03
14-Sep-10, 13:59
That's an awful lot of wasps, are you sure there isn't a nest nearby? We had a nest in the eaves of the house and never had that many!!! Got rid of the nest and not seen a wasp since. Might be worth watching where they are coming from/going to....

Green_not_greed
14-Sep-10, 14:32
Is there anything I can use to kill the ones that get in my livingroom as I have a fishtank and cannot use raid.
Im going through a can of raid a week at the moment in the rest of the house as the wasps keep coming in and they are angry...the rest of the time its easy stick a glass over them and put them back outside..but at this time of year...not a hope!
We dont have a nest in our house or shed!
Any deterants would be good to stop them getting in ...
Windows and doors are left open by kids....

I presume you know about the jamjar trick? Try smearing some jam around the inside of your fishtank above water level. It will attract the wasps and then they'll fall in and drown. It may also save on fishfood......

Dadie
14-Sep-10, 21:09
The fishtank has a lid on it......
Toddler loves jam.....
That could get messy:lol:
Plus fishing out a wet toddler would not make my day....
But the fish would get a shock!