PDA

View Full Version : Could a Scottish P. B. T. Wick....Just a Thought

Anonymous
17-Jul-04, 14:02
Of course it could, everything starts with a thought, so start thinking positive, and create a new Wick, Im not saying a building like the S.P.B. :lol: Start creating you Wickers :D What you always think is what youll always get :( Just a thought, thats all it takes, be positive :D

Anonymous
17-Jul-04, 15:07
PS The harbour seems like as good a place as any to start :D

trinkie
17-Jul-04, 16:34
I'd love to see a Festival of Carving based in Wick once a year.

Tree trunks would be delivered to the town and wood carvers from all over the world would gather to create unique pieces of sculpture. Their creations would then be left in the county, dotted around, mostly in Wick to enhance a place that knows so few trees.

People would come from far and wide to watch the wood being carved , it is a most wonderful sight..I dont think there is anything like this in the north of Scotland.

Yes, I'd like to see more works of art on a grand scale dotted around the town.

SD

Anonymous
17-Jul-04, 17:01
That put shivers up my spine..........what a brilliant idea. :D Ever seen the bear at Ravens Gorge in Sutherland, hes georgeous, you just want to hug him, there are a few wood carvings at the Castletown Flagstone Trail Tree Plantation Park or whatever its called. I love these carvings. Brilliant idea SD :D

John Traill
17-Jul-04, 18:03
there are a few wood carvings at the Castletown Flagstone Trail Tree Plantation Park or whatever its called. I love these carvings. Brilliant idea SD :D
I can't remember the name of the man who did these, but he'll be doing demonstrations at Dunnet Forest on the 7th of August.

JT

trinkie
17-Jul-04, 18:20
That's great, though I wont be able to see it.
Are there pictures of the Caithness carvings on Caithness.org?

Anonymous
17-Jul-04, 18:34
That wood {pardon the pun} be very interesting JT Thanks for that, Ill make a mental note of that date {on second thoughts Id better write it down, bad memory} . Dont know if theres photos of the carvings on Caithness.org SD, if not maybe Bill Fernie could pay a visit with his camera {Tell him watch out for the Rats, Midgets,etc} sorry I couldnt resist that.Hopefully the grass would be cut sos he could see them :o)

John Traill
17-Jul-04, 19:32
Are there pictures of the Caithness carvings on Caithness.org?
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/castlehill/castlehillhist.htm

The pictures are from a few years ago though I see the page was last updated three months from now :confused

And the carver is called Pete Bowsher (It says that on the page, I didn't suddenly remember)

JT

JAWS
17-Jul-04, 20:23
Had a look at the web page and Wow, didn't even know the place existed.

Isn't it time Caithness stopped keeping such things to itself. There are some wonderful things here and some wonderful history but it seems they are only mentioned in hushed whispers like some terrible family secret.

Come on Caithness, be proud of what you have, let's tell the world and let them come and see for themselves.

golach
17-Jul-04, 20:24
Come on now all ye cheils from Wick, surely ye can come up with something a lot better than the monstrosity that destroys the Old Canongate.
The building is I consider one of the most ugly pieces of architecture I have ever seen.
If I had had the foresight to see this abomination sitting at the foot of the Royal Mile....then I might never have supported devolution.
No tourists are coming to view this building........they are coming to laugh at us!!!
Ok you say Edinburgh's house prices are rising as a result.....but is that a good thing, not if you are a first time buyer, I would not like to be a young couple trying to buy in Edinburgh, they can't......they all have to go to Bathgate, Whitburn or the like just so they can get a mortgage.
Dinna get me wrong I have lived and worked in Leith and Edinburgh for over 40 years and I have grown used till it, please please dinna wish this building or its ilk on Kaitness
Golach

trinkie
17-Jul-04, 20:46
Thank you John Traill, I've just had a look at the web page and was thrilled to see such beautiful works of art.

The flagstone objects were great and the wood sculptures fantastic.
I had no idea they were there.

Thanks for that.

Lets have more art around the place

Anonymous
18-Jul-04, 10:03
SD There are lovely carvings down at Arrochar if you ever get the chance to go there. I was trying to post a picture of the bear at Ravens Gorge..........dont know how to or if its possible. It would be lovely to see carvings like these in Wick.