PDA

View Full Version : movie made in wick

blacktreacle
10-Sep-10, 22:18
does any one remember a movie that was made in wick about football i think it was made a bout the time of the Quatercentenary any one no the name of the movie :confused

rangers1873
10-Sep-10, 22:21
think the film was called the gift and it was crap

Skifter
10-Sep-10, 23:39
It was called " The Gift" and Aline Mowat played the role of the mother. The young footballers were played by local kids.

Douglas Cowie
10-Sep-10, 23:42
think the film was called the gift and it was crap

The film was anything but crap Ranger 1973 it featured local actors and was written by a young and up and coming Caithness writer Colin Macdonald (see link below) It was great to see emerging local talent getting showcased on the BBC and I thought the play was very effective and well written.
My father George Cowie played a small part as a bus driver in a dramatically shot scene with a bus driving up Scalesburn, which looked as if the bus was emerging from the sea. He had fond memories of driving the cast around Caithness to the various locations.

http://arts.caithness.org/article.php?id=250

Green_not_greed
10-Sep-10, 23:48
does any one remember a movie that was made in wick about football i think it was made a bout the time of the Quatercentenary any one no the name of the movie :confused

No but I do remember a few made in Wick by Oban Joe! I was at a stag night once watching one of his movies and a guy shouted "that's my neighbour"! Bet he never looked at her in quite the same light after that!

scorrie
11-Sep-10, 01:47
This was covered a while back:-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52965&highlight=gift

I contacted the BBC shortly after and was told that it last aired in March 1990 and that they had no record of it being available to buy.

Despite George's bus driving skills, the bulk of the cast appeared in association with Ronseal and Cuprinol. If it hadn't been a local interest film we wouldn't have watched it to the conclusion. Jim Baxter with a scrunched up chip poke was the highlight if I recall.

"The BBC would like to apologise for the scenes of tedium and wooden acting throughout this program. We hope that this did not spoil your enjoyment too much and would like to remind viewers that these incidents were above, and beyond, the control of the BBC"

Nostalgic viewing only now I would think.