PDA

View Full Version : First Chinese clothes… now Mandelson bans Anchor butter

Countryman
17-Jul-06, 15:05
Tonys friend has has done it again does any one agree with this nonsence.

EU goes crazzy again

Thee EU has suspended the import of all New Zealand butter after a decision that the current arrangements are "illegal".

All New Zealand butter imports have been suspended

But Mr Mandelson, the EU trade commissioner, imposed the ban last week on leading brands, such as Anchor, while the commission considers Tuesday's ruling by the European Court of Justice, which says parts of this agreement are invalid. The ban has been attacked as "outrageous" by politicians from Westminster to New Zealand.

mccaugm
17-Jul-06, 16:31
Why is the butter banned from being imported...don't use the brand but annoyed that I am not being given the choice. I agree with the "nanny state" when it is prudent for health reasons.i.e. the smoking ban but a butter ban.

Why is Mandy allowed to make choices on our behalf anyway - the mans a total "nyaff".

Ricco
17-Jul-06, 17:47
Why is the butter banned from being imported...don't use the brand but annoyed that I am not being given the choice. I agree with the "nanny state" when it is prudent for health reasons.i.e. the smoking ban but a butter ban.

Why is Mandy allowed to make choices on our behalf anyway - the mans a total "nyaff".

Do you mean Mandy's a nancy? :roll:

mccaugm
17-Jul-06, 18:01
:) Erm his sexual orientation I am not concerned about but his making choices on our behalf I am. He is a to coin a phrase " A Plonker!".

Ricco
17-Jul-06, 18:13
:) Erm his sexual orientation I am not concerned about but his making choices on our behalf I am. He is a to coin a phrase " A Plonker!".

I'll second that.

George Brims
17-Jul-06, 19:06
The ban is not to do with health - you can away and clog your arteries with European-produced butter to your heart's (dis)content. It's to do with agreements that were set up when Britain first joined the EC to protect countries like Australia and NZ that depended on exporting agricultural products to the UK for a big chunk of their economy. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the Brusselscrats to get around to challenging them. Strictly speaking once you join the EC or EU or whatever its initals are this decade, you are supposed to "forsake all others" and buy from within. British polititians were reluctant to jilt our Antipodean friends so abruptly.

Minty
17-Jul-06, 19:21
Whatever the reason for the ban, I will not be able to face the day ahead without my daily fix of Anchor Butter. I can feel the panic setting in already. I know you can freeze butter, but does anyone know for how long? Hope its years.:(

George Brims
17-Jul-06, 22:14
I never used to like Anchor. A bit too salty for my taste.

taylor.4
17-Jul-06, 22:17
Whatever the reason for the ban, I will not be able to face the day ahead without my daily fix of Anchor Butter. I can feel the panic setting in already. I know you can freeze butter, but does anyone know for how long? Hope its years.:(Don't no how long you can freeze it for, don't no what my hubby will do, loves anchor butter on his toast, prefers it to other butter. will have to try others and find an alternative for him:~(

golach
17-Jul-06, 22:26
They are going to ban Mince made with finest Scotch Beef, because our beef is hung by our butchers longer than they do in Europe, is that not nearer home than some New Zealand Butter?