PDA

View Full Version : What's the weather like?

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 01:09
I have just had a bit of a look at the pictures from you local show, it looks great. I noticed in another thread that the weather has been hot. How hot? And how cold is it in winter? Is caithness a rural area. I have read a lot of info, but that doesn't really always mean that much, because I know in my area if you just took the websites as all there is, you could be led to believe that we only have vineyards and wineries. But there is much more!:Razz

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 01:17
Weather etc is such a relative thing - have you looked at -
http://www.caithness.org/links/weather.htm

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 01:22
Thanks, is it early morning there? Which day? It is 10.30am here on Monday 17th July. I have been doing my bookwork for the end of financial year and am about to leave for the accountants, so I am a bit fuddled. My brain goes into overdrive at times and then I actually get no where. I will go to the site, but what does the weather "feel" like? And how is it relative? Relative to what? I am talking about now, today, at this moment where you are. EG it is sunny with a cold wind here. In the morning.

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 01:26
Here in Caithness it has gone 1.30 on Monday morning - it is dark - I'm inside and not going out - but it has been warm and clammy this past evening. Warm/hot/cold are all things to all people - that's what I mean about 'relative'. I can't take heat. Polar conditions suit me best.

dirdyweeker
17-Jul-06, 01:28
...........and in Wick we have had showers tonight.

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 01:31
Pretty much over the county I think

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 01:34
Thank You both. King you would not like it in Australia, it gets hotter here in winter than it does there in summer. But still, even though this conversation has for me seemed at times a bit disjointed, I have actualy been able to glean a bit of background info from all the different posts.

You also asked early in the peice why I chose Caithness? Well I have always dreamed of visiting the UK and in particular Scotland. I had an idea for a childrens novel and thought it would be good set in a castle. So I looked on the net for pictures of suitlable looking castles for my setting. I just wanted to have a picture in my mind of a place. I chose Ackergill Tower and it went from there.

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 01:39
Been there - Queensland - all the way up to Cairns/Townville/Keppel Island. Stayed in Rockhampton. Liked my stubbies.
Keep us updated on the book huh?

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 01:43
I will keep you up dated on the book. Again thanks for your help. Might see you when I get up your way or next time you come here. :cool:

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 01:49
Can you find out the original reason for Maitland being so called?

canuck
17-Jul-06, 03:49
I have just had a bit of a look at the pictures from you local show, it looks great. I noticed in another thread that the weather has been hot. How hot? And how cold is it in winter? Is caithness a rural area. I have read a lot of info, but that doesn't really always mean that much, because I know in my area if you just took the websites as all there is, you could be led to believe that we only have vineyards and wineries. But there is much more!:Razz

Don't believe them when they say "hot". It is just a warmer form of cool. I wore woollen stockings until the end of July when I was in Caithness. The locals were in short sleeves and sandles.

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 04:51
Hi King, I will find out how Maitland got it's name for you and get back to you. I will post is under Maitland for King!! OK.
have a good day, maybe you should get some sleep? Your up quite late! :lol:

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 08:18
Thanks very much.

cuddlepop
17-Jul-06, 09:40
Instead of opening a new thread thought i'd ask the same question.Whats the weather like?
Here on Skye its doing exactly as the forecasters said.Rain,Rain and then more rain..The thing is its very clamy and windy,too hot for a jacket but you'll get soaked if you dont.
At least the dreaded midge is in hiding,its just too windy.[lol]

golach
17-Jul-06, 09:44
In Edinburgh at 10am it is 25C today not a cloud in the sky, and Im working today [disgust]

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 09:48
Up here dull, overcast and will probably rain. Not much of a day to start the week off with.

cuddlepop
17-Jul-06, 09:52
The forecasters aren't too optimistic for the rest of the week for the north west either.
Emigration seems like a good idea[lol]

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 09:57
Emigrate? You might find thats where the midges are hiding?

candyfloss
17-Jul-06, 10:28
10.30am, in Wick just now its very hot and humid, too hot for me really but quite dull, could do with some thunder and lighting to clear the air, i love watching it just as long as am inside when it happens :)

George Brims
17-Jul-06, 19:16
Here in LA we are forecast to have temperatures in the region of 95-105F (35-41C) today, and it's muggy as well. Not tropical muggy, but RH in the 50% range which is unusual for here. Please stop complaining about the cold Caithness summer!

The other day the hottest spots in the mainland USA were both in California - 120F in Death Valley, and 35F overnight at Truckee (near Lake Tahoe). I bet somebody moaned about both - probably an exiled Brit (we're rightly notorious for always talking about the weather).

BTW, Lolabelle, there's a handy web site to find out the time in other parts of the world. It's http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Caithness is in the same time zone as London and Edinburgh (somehow the great metropolis of Wick is missing from the list).

Ojibwa
17-Jul-06, 19:22
35 degrees with humidity here in Northern Ontario, phew!!!! Lots of cold showers today. I'd love to feel the Caithness wind right now. :lol:

golach
17-Jul-06, 19:30
Edinburgh 27C at 19:40, I am melting :eek:

Kenn
17-Jul-06, 20:11
20.23 on the south coast UK temp.32C an' ferget the mozzies we have clouds of flying ants.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jul-06, 20:39
It rained today!!!!:~(

My first day of ma Summer Holidays.I apologise to all ye Caithness folk now,cos the minute I go on ma holidays the weather changes.Don't worry though in two weeks it will be a heatwave!!!!:lol:

Billy Boy
17-Jul-06, 20:50
It rained today!!!!:~(

My first day of ma Summer Holidays.I apologise to all ye Caithness folk now,cos the minute I go on ma holidays the weather changes.Don't worry though in two weeks it will be a heatwave!!!!

lol your such an optimist :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jul-06, 20:55
:lol: :lol: Aye an optimist is me,hopefully the gala and bonfire nights will be roastin!!!

Billy Boy
17-Jul-06, 21:00
if you stand close enough to the bonfire lol you'll be roastin :lol: :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jul-06, 21:04
if you stand close enough to the bonfire lol you'll be roastin :lol: :lol:

No to close though or ye'll be mair than roastin!!!!!!

Billy Boy
17-Jul-06, 21:14
No to close though or ye'll be mair than roastin!!!!!!

a know what you mean, a have been there an done that and got a free lopsided hair style for ma efforts lol , that was a few year back :lol: :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jul-06, 21:19
a know what you mean, a have been there an done that and got a free lopsided hair style for ma efforts lol , that was a few year back :lol: :lol:

At least your is just lopsided Billy Boy,I got that close that now I have no hair at all!!!!Hope to see you t"hair" though!!!!

Billy Boy
17-Jul-06, 21:26
At least your is just lopsided Billy Boy,I got that close that now I have no hair at all!!!!Hope to see you t"hair" though!!!!

lol it aint mr billy boy he aint got enough hair to get lopsided :lol: :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jul-06, 21:38
lol it aint mr billy boy he aint got enough hair to get lopsided :lol: :lol:

I now know its you Mrs Billy Boy,ma apologies.See yer boy has the same hair style as me though!!!

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 22:28
Well thanks everyone for all your help, you have no idea how it has changed my "ideas" of what it is like up there. I am gleaning all manner of usefull titbits from all the different conversations going on here.:)