PDA

View Full Version : Windturbine for Castletown primary school

onecalledk
09-Sep-10, 19:52
Just wondered peoples thought on the proposal by highland council to site a 15 metre wind turbine in Castletown primary school. It seems the council has to make some electricity to save money.

Am a little in disbelief that this information was sent home with the children via a school letter as this would affect more than just the children in the school!

K

Rheghead
09-Sep-10, 19:57
What is the turbine's rating?

Alice in Blunderland
09-Sep-10, 20:19
I am wondering if this is similar to the turbine which was proposed for our school at one stage. :confused

Our one has gone by the wayside however for Rhegheads information I have copied this I had regarding it.

I would advise you that we are looking at turbines that would be 5-15kW rated and could provide 10,000-20,000kWh annually. The units will generally be on a column 9m -12m in height with a blade diameter of around 5.5m (6kW) and will need to be located 80m from an adjacent dwelling.

I did have a look at the windmill at Tain primary as I was led to believe that it would have been something similar to this and took some photos just so that I could show a few folks how it actually looks.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs631.snc4/59135_496565923221_748518221_7106552_2958162_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs678.snc4/61842_496566028221_748518221_7106556_6978113_n.jpg

onecalledk
09-Sep-10, 20:19
according to the "renewables newsletter" it is going to be rated at 6Kw, is expected to generate 10000- 12000kWh each year and save 4T of CO2 from the school.

They have said that depending on the study outcome the planning is dec 2010 and the installation will be mar 2011.

The start of the letter says that a wind turbine is being "investigated" for the primary school over the next few months.

K

Gronnuck
09-Sep-10, 21:05
One school stopped using its wind turbine earlier this year because of the number of bird deaths. The manufacturer said they could expect one a year but they had 14 in less than six months. The head teacher got fed up having to get to the school early just in case he had to clear up any dead birds before the children arrived. Full story here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/7870929/Primary-school-forced-to-turn-off-wind-turbine-after-bird-deaths.html)
IMHO it's a good opportunity for children to learn that there are pros and cons with the installation of any wind turbine.

Rheghead
10-Sep-10, 01:13
according to the "renewables newsletter" it is going to be rated at 6Kw, is expected to generate 10000- 12000kWh each year and save 4T of CO2 from the school.

They have said that depending on the study outcome the planning is dec 2010 and the installation will be mar 2011.

The start of the letter says that a wind turbine is being "investigated" for the primary school over the next few months.

K

They will be probably looking at about £15,000+ outlay. Even if they sold all their energy to the grid, they would probably expect around about £1000 pa return each year. So hardly a worthwhile investment if it would take 15 years to get your money back. Still in terms of reducing their carbon emissions then it may be worth it by any carbon penalty under the climate act.

oldmarine
10-Sep-10, 01:20
One school stopped using its wind turbine earlier this year because of the number of bird deaths. The manufacturer said they could expect one a year but they had 14 in less than six months. The head teacher got fed up having to get to the school early just in case he had to clear up any dead birds before the children arrived. Full story here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/7870929/Primary-school-forced-to-turn-off-wind-turbine-after-bird-deaths.html)
IMHO it's a good opportunity for children to learn that there are pros and cons with the installation of any wind turbine.

If this device causes that many bird deaths it is certain that it's use would be limited or curtailed.