PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Caithness contacts

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:04
Hi I am a writer and I live in Australia. I am currently writing a childrens story and have set it in the Caithness area. Never having actually been to Scotland this could prove to be a bit of a stretch. So I am looking for some local input, and possibly some one to read and edit my story for authenticity??? Any one interested? I would appreciate any help at all, for example; weather descriptions landscape local attractions and then the things that the locals actually do, not just the tourists ect. Well thanks for reading this, and anyone who might have a bit of time to give me a hand, please post a reply.
bye for now, Lola

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:12
Hi Lola,
Enquiring minds might be interested in why you chose Caithness.
I'm sure there's lots of knowhow and expertise from folk here to help you with your project.
Maybe you could give us on here a taste of where you are - urls to (your) interesting local scenes maybe?
James.

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:15
Sure, I live in NSW, in the Hunter Valley. I am not sure how to do the url thingo though. I will work it out and then post some of them. Not very internet literate am I. [lol]

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:24
here's one as an example -
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/nsw/huntervalley/cessnock

and from here -
http://www.caithness.org/

Ok?

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:29
OK, but do I just type in the website address? Luckily I am a writer and not a IT person!

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:34
Can do but best way is highlight whatever is in the address bar, right click & click copy then come to this forum & click paste in your opened message.
There's other ways which I'm sure folk will come out with but that's a start.

dirdyweeker
17-Jul-06, 00:35
OK, but do I just type in the website address? Luckily I am a writer and not a IT person!

right click on the address bar, copy and then go to reply in caithness.org and paste. Bingo!
If I can do it any one can.

dirdyweeker
17-Jul-06, 00:37
Oops.....sorry. We both seemed to reply at the same time. At least we both gave the same advice.

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:40
Thank you both, I will do this as soon as I find something to show you, I'll be off to have a look now.

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:46
Thank you both, I will do this as soon as I find something to show you, I'll be off to have a look now.

Welcome!
Just Google for Hunter Valley NSW - I did!
Surprise us eh?

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:46
here is one, they are all mostly about the wineries, but as I live right on the edge of this area at least you can see what its like.:roll:
http://www.huntervalleywinetastingtours.com.au/hunter-valley-photogallery.shtml

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:49
here is another, I am getting into the swing of it now. This one is for the National Parks. Ther is a map and I live between Maitland and Singleton.

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:51
here is another, I am getting into the swing of it now. This one is for the National Parks. Ther is a map and I live between Maitland and Singleton.
Except I think on this one you missed the url?
I'm very interested in the name Maitland (as a surname) and also in the Wine aspects of the Valley.

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 00:52
Whoops forgot the url thing. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/parks.nsf/parkContent/N0002?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0002&Type=xo

Kingetter
17-Jul-06, 00:56
You've got the hang of it now. Good sites.
Good Luck.

Moira
17-Jul-06, 02:12
Hi I am a writer and I live in Australia. I am currently writing a childrens story and have set it in the Caithness area. Never having actually been to Scotland this could prove to be a bit of a stretch. So I am looking for some local input, and possibly some one to read and edit my story for authenticity??? Any one interested? I would appreciate any help at all, for example; weather descriptions landscape local attractions and then the things that the locals actually do, not just the tourists ect. Well thanks for reading this, and anyone who might have a bit of time to give me a hand, please post a reply.
bye for now, Lola

Have sent you a pm

flyfifer
17-Jul-06, 12:52
Hi Lolabelle! Nice to hear of another writer having chosen our lovely county as the setting of their new book! A few months ago a childrens' book was published by Berwyn Butler, a lovely writer from Texas but originally from Australia or New Zealand. It is called "Dinky the Doorknob" and is set in a house in Thurso Road, Wick, Caithness. She came over to promote the book and gave talks in schools and churches, and also did a book signing in the local bookstore. My daughters loved the book and enjoyed meeting the authoress in person! Good luck with your venture, and I am sure you will find many helpful hints about the area from this message board and other sections of Caithness.org.

Lolabelle
17-Jul-06, 22:34
I will have to find this book and have a read. Thanks to everyone for thier input, you would not believe how much help it has been already.
:D