PDA

View Full Version : High on oven cleaner

porshiepoo
07-Sep-10, 11:43
Anyone have any tips on something that will clean an oven without having to use chemicals??

I've just finished cleaning my oven (a job I always put off) with the help of Mr Muscle and I swear that's the last time I use something that makes your ruddy lungs burn!
The can lets you know not to inhale the stuff but how are you supposed to avoid it when your head is shoved inside the blinkin oven? :confused

Wouldn't be so bad but it doesn't even do a good job really and it's impossible to spray the shelves without the stuff going everywhere.

I need alternatives people!

Corrie 3
07-Sep-10, 11:57
Clean oven with Brillo and get it spotless...after that, sprinkle bicarbonate of soda onto it and spread all over oven with a dampish cloth, this will dry out and when you come to clean it next time it the dirt and burned on stuff will just wipe off !!

C3.....:)

mrlennie
07-Sep-10, 12:04
Get kids to do it? They have the young lungs. Will put hair on their chest anyway (male or female)

unicorn
07-Sep-10, 12:36
I used oven pride last time but it was pretty messy, I agree that Mr Muscle is pretty rough stuff to use.
There are some tips for homemade here http://www.mrscleanusa.com/en/cleaning-tips/kitchen/safe-oven-cleaning.html
Let us know if they are any good :lol:

sintra307
07-Sep-10, 12:55
I use a polti steam cleaner it blasts the dirt off even the seals on the ovens come up like new. and the best bit is there are no nasty chemicals mixing with your next meal. expensive to buy but you can clean a lot of things so it pays for itself in the long run. great for cleaning bathrooms leaves everything sparkling wthout a lot of effort.

unicorn
07-Sep-10, 12:58
I have a high pressure steam cleaner and now having a duh moment as I had never thought to use it on the oven :D

teenybash
07-Sep-10, 13:05
Definately a good steam clean.......wouldn't be without my steamer for all sorts of jobs around the house and no more having to buy chemical cleaners.

mrlennie
07-Sep-10, 13:25
I would have thought pressure steaming would cause damage? I don't know.

Dadie
07-Sep-10, 13:25
I just use the steam cleaner and kitchen roll on mine...then jump straight in the shower afterwards as I then feel grotty and greasy...should steam clean myself afterwards too!
And anything that fits in the dishwasher goes in!

Beat Bug
07-Sep-10, 16:19
I too use a Polti steam cleaner. But as I have an Aga type cooker, I only use a wire brush on the oven, and the shelves go in the dish washer if they get too grubby!

porshiepoo
07-Sep-10, 18:49
Weirdly, my mum sent me a hand held steamer up (received yesterday) and I did consider it.
However, (and this is probably going to sound stupid) I was worried about using it on an electric oven. :confused:
Am I just being anal????????????

squidge
07-Sep-10, 20:54
I just cleaned mine lately too

The glass on the inside of the door was the worst - i made a paste from washing powder and water and coated the glass and left it for a weewhile then scraped it with the thingie i use for the hob. You canbuy them from comet and the grime came straight off. for the shelves - in the bath with washingpowder - it has to be biological and then either give them a good wash with a greenie or put them in the dishwasher - sparkle sparkle. I use the bicarb thing too and it works a treat

poppett
07-Sep-10, 22:07
Few spillages on the self cleaning oven. It gets wiped out when cooling down with a damp cloth and the rails go into the dishwasher once a month when the rest of the cooker is stripped and thoroughly cleaned. The hob is wiped with washing up liquid on a damp cloth after every use. It is not OCD, just something we always did at home as a follow on from washing dishes and wiping down the worktops after a meal.

I can`t use any Mr Muscle cleaner without breathing difficulties.

Bazeye
07-Sep-10, 23:01
Use the microwave.

porshiepoo
07-Sep-10, 23:11
Sadly I now cannot wait for it to get grimy again so that I can try all those suggestions.

I should have realised about the Bicarb as I watch Kim & Aggie often enough.
I also should have thought to put the ruddy trays in the dishwasher :roll:. All these bloomin years of tedious scrubbing.
Sometimes I wonder where my heads at!

The man from Delmonte:
Fry ups? You've got to be kidding! I could fly a plane without wings better than I could make an edible fry up. lol.
I actually do try the foil on the bottom but it would seem I have kitchen elves that remove it every time they decide to cook something.
Hmmmmm, guess I should get those elves to clean the ruddy thing behind themselves.

Aaldtimer
08-Sep-10, 03:00
Mr.Delmonte seems to have diappeared from this thread...wonder why?
:confused

mrlennie
08-Sep-10, 06:59
he got banned he opened a thread with some naughty words.

Rheghead
08-Sep-10, 08:12
he got banned he opened a thread with some naughty words.

I can't understand that, he isn't foul-mouthed in real life. :(

Liz
08-Sep-10, 13:31
I would agree with the others re using a steam cleaner as they are great and perfectly safe to use in your oven as it is 'dry' steam.

These cleaning blocks are great as well though used in conjunction with the steam cleaner. They are brilliant at removing really stubborn stains.
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.828525.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

Happy cleaning!:D

Dadie
08-Sep-10, 22:28
If in a tizz switch it off at the wall...but think about the amount of steam created (and spills) in a normal oven during the cooking proccess.