PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Drugs For Dummies

scorrie
07-Sep-10, 01:08
Please, don't read this if you are offended by earthy language.

I had an experience with a neighbour recently. It was regarding a drug he was taking to help lose weight. We have all had prescriptions and seen the endless leaflets, explaining how your medication works and listing endless side-effects which make you wonder if it is actually a good idea to take the bloody things. Anyway, my neighbour was prescribed a drug called Xenical, also know as Orlistat. He seemed keen to explain to me exactly how this drug helped him to lose weight. The official blurb describes it thus:-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The fats we consume in our diets are made of molecules that are too large to be absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream. They need to be broken down into smaller molecules during the process of digestion, in order to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Gastric and pancreatic lipases are the compounds in the gut that carry out this function.

Orlistat works by preventing gastric and pancreatic lipases from working. One Xenical capsule is taken three times a day at mealtimes to prevent fat that is eaten in the meals from being broken down and absorbed by the body. This means the body cannot use the fat as a source of energy, or convert it into fat tissue. Instead, the fat is excreted in the faeces. This helps weight loss."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My neighbour seemed keen to cut out the science of the process and cut to the chase.

"Well, you know when you are having a steak. Well the beef part of the steak stays in your stomach. But, see the fat, well, the fat goes flying straight out your arsehole!!"

Cheers Tommy, I think I'll nominate you for a Plain Speaking award.

ele21
07-Sep-10, 08:07
I got them prescribed to me annd stopped taking them had got bad stomache cramps and you woulld need to stap a toilet seat to your a--se not worth the hassle:lol:

Walter Ego
07-Sep-10, 15:46
Please, don't read this if you are offended by earthy language.

I had an experience with a neighbour recently. It was regarding a drug he was taking to help lose weight. We have all had prescriptions and seen the endless leaflets, explaining how your medication works and listing endless side-effects which make you wonder if it is actually a good idea to take the bloody things. Anyway, my neighbour was prescribed a drug called Xenical, also know as Orlistat. He seemed keen to explain to me exactly how this drug helped him to lose weight. The official blurb describes it thus:-
"The fats we consume in our diets are made of molecules that are too large to be absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream. They need to be broken down into smaller molecules during the process of digestion, in order to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Gastric and pancreatic lipases are the compounds in the gut that carry out this function.

Orlistat works by preventing gastric and pancreatic lipases from working. One Xenical capsule is taken three times a day at mealtimes to prevent fat that is eaten in the meals from being broken down and absorbed by the body. This means the body cannot use the fat as a source of energy, or convert it into fat tissue. Instead, the fat is excreted in the faeces. This helps weight loss."

My neighbour seemed keen to cut out the science of the process and cut to the chase.

"Well, you know when you are having a steak. Well the beef part of the steak stays in your stomach. But, see the fat, well, the fat goes flying straight out your arsehole!!"

Cheers Tommy, I think I'll nominate you for a Plain Speaking award.

[lol] nice one.

brandy
07-Sep-10, 16:00
i tried them as well, as they do work.. but i think their main purpose is to train you not to eat fatty foods. the less fat you eat the less horrible poop you have.. but alas, with my other medication... insulin and metaformin.. it kept me on the loo.. even with a low fat diet! could not leave the house!!
saying that i was loosing about 2lbs a week when i started.

Beat Bug
07-Sep-10, 16:07
I agree with Brandy. I too was prescribed them many years ago, and lost a lot of weight. But when the weight stopped dropping, I was taken off them. That's when the weight started creeping up again. I've got to the stage now that I just try to eat healthily, and if I'm fat then I'm fat!