PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Grouse is this?

catherine nicol
16-Jul-06, 08:23
This grouse ran across the road the other day but I captured a quick shot of it before it disappeared.

What kind of Grouse is this? I can't find anything looking like this in any of my field guides.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/rinard/IMG_0243.jpg

spurtle
16-Jul-06, 11:31
It looks like a normal male grouse (lagopus lagopus).

Seabird
16-Jul-06, 23:16
This grouse ran across the road the other day but I captured a quick shot of it before it disappeared.

What kind of Grouse is this? I can't find anything looking like this in any of my field guides.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/rinard/IMG_0243.jpg

Red Grouse
Their numbers will decrease over the next few months due to the slaughter carried out in the sport, game shooting.

chiccool
17-Jul-06, 00:23
Red Grouse
Their numbers will decrease over the next few months due to the slaughter carried out in the sport, game shooting.
and also because of me looking for something for my dinner :mad:

buggyracer
18-Jul-06, 14:45
Red Grouse

they wouoldnt be there in the start if they were not looked after by keepers in "the name of sport" left to there own devices they would virtually disapear if it were not for land management moor burning etc.

Seabird
18-Jul-06, 21:41
they wouoldnt be there in the start if they were not looked after by keepers in "the name of sport" left to there own devices they would virtually disapear if it were not for land management moor burning etc.

Grouse have been around for gererations and can survive without assistance of game keepers.
They only breed the grouse and burn the heather to increase the numbers so they can shoot them.
But over the last few years they have killed more than the Grouse numbers can sustain.
Have you ever considered how many birds are just winged and die in agony over several days.
There is nothing wrong with eating Grouse or chicken the difference is how they are killed.
The people who shoot them do it for fun not for food, the food is a by product of a jolly good shoot, a what ! (and £££££££££)

buggyracer
19-Jul-06, 10:08
yes but the introduction of sheep changed the population of grouse more than any shooting did, which is why well managed grouse moors are sheep free, yes they make more money this way but id rather this than no grouse?

and id rather a wild grouse than a chicken reared in a cage all its life and then electrocuted and left for god knows how long before it reaches the supermarket shelf?

man is the top of the food chain, deal with it, we have been hunting for 1000,s of years deal with it.

Seabird
19-Jul-06, 17:34
yes but the introduction of sheep changed the population of grouse more than any shooting did, which is why well managed grouse moors are sheep free, yes they make more money this way but id rather this than no grouse?

and id rather a wild grouse than a chicken reared in a cage all its life and then electrocuted and left for god knows how long before it reaches the supermarket shelf?

man is the top of the food chain, deal with it, we have been hunting for 1000,s of years deal with it.

Years ago man had to hunt to survive that no longer applies.
I would suspect from your attitude you get some sort of kick out of killing things.
I have been in situations where killing a person would have been no problem at all, that is survival.
But to kill when it is not essential for survival or pest control is moraly wrong.
Man is supposed to have evolved, but looking at some of the moronic behaviour in society today i question that assumption.

buggyracer
19-Jul-06, 19:39
Years ago man had to hunt to survive that no longer applies.
I would suspect from your attitude you get some sort of kick out of killing things.
I have been in situations where killing a person would have been no problem at all, that is survival.
But to kill when it is not essential for survival or pest control is moraly wrong.
Man is supposed to have evolved, but looking at some of the moronic behaviour in society today i question that assumption.

I hardly think comparing killing a person is comparible to killing an animal? :(

to say killing another person in a situation would have to you been no problem at all, is imho moronic!

i shoot and i fish, more often than not i come home empty handed, its not just about killing something, i re-lease more fish than i keep ten fold and i only shoot what i will eat, and yes i do get a kick from being out there in the wild away from all the hustle catching my supper, and until this gets made illeagal i will continue to do so, i am not breaking any laws.

i enjoy seeing animals in the wild as much as any part of hunting or catching them, i will often just take the camera out and shoot them with it, and i can safely say i will have seen more to what this countryside and its wildlife has to offer than 90% of its population, im off for a walk now (with the camera youll be pleased to know!), in all fairness half of the wildlife you see would not be in the well conditioned state it is now were it not managed! nobody wants to see them eradicated pro shooters or antis :)