PDA

View Full Version : trinkie

wicker
14-Jul-04, 14:53
I know the volunteers are doing up the north baths this year so just wondering if that means that the trinkie isnt being cleaned up?

AllanT
14-Jul-04, 18:22
The Trinkie has been cleaned out. Just need the weather!

brokencross
14-Jul-04, 20:44
I consider myself old, yes, 51 years on this earth is old. Many times as a child, (and once as a scardied cat, fully grown man) I have had the pleasure of paddling, swimming and messing about in both the Trinkie and the North Baths. Picnics, family get togethers, the water is cold and does bring a lump to ones throat sometimes but it was good fun. I also remember that many events in the Wick Gala were held there. Many a lad in Wick regretted doing the greasey pole event and went on to win the soprano singing event later in the evening!!

At the risk of opening a proverbial can of worms, I think that, in the good old days, before the proliferation of cars and when people actually walked to their social events, the North Baths were used by the high class persons from Wick.....and the Trinkie was for the "other" people from Wick who lived on the Puntley side of town.

Whatever the history of the baths, I hope that both the Trinkie and the North Baths are nice and clean safe and well attended.

Well done to all the volunteers, well done indeed!!

Fish yet again
15-Jul-04, 20:37
Further to brokencrosses' comments, I would assume ALL Health and Safety measures are in force, to ensure that both pool sites comply to ALL regulations regarding Public Bathing areas ???
unfortunately in todays modern society the blame culture is very much to the fore. An oportunity to have a "nasty accident" can so easily clear the way for MASSIVE compensation claims.....or am I being naive?
In "the olden days" we all had accidents, wich were usually our own faults.
Today, we expect someone to be at fault for our "accident"

brokencross
16-Jul-04, 08:21
I am glad that "Fish yet again" has brought up the H & S aspect for the baths. Water is dangerous stuff. An eleven year old boy drowned last week, he was on an organised school trip to an indoor pool, there were two teachers and life guards in attendance. So please take great care.

The compensation culture is a nasty one, as Fish Y A says, it is always someone elses fault. If you trip it is the council's fault because the pavement is not level.

When I was in the Merchant Navy a sailor tried to sue the company because he jumped into the swimming pool and hurt his back. The pool was empty and he was drunk, the company did not have to pay compensation but were found at fault for not "locking" the gate to stop access to the pool when empty.

Even a disclaimer notice is not worth the paper it is written on, so bathers beware.

Mr P Cannop
16-Jul-04, 08:45
I am glad that "Fish yet again" has brought up the H & S aspect for the baths. Water is dangerous stuff. An eleven year old boy drowned last week, he was on an organised school trip to an indoor pool, there were two teachers and life guards in attendance. So please take great care.

The compensation culture is a nasty one, as Fish Y A says, it is always someone elses fault. If you trip it is the council's fault because the pavement is not level.

When I was in the Merchant Navy a sailor tried to sue the company because he jumped into the swimming pool and hurt his back. The pool was empty and he was drunk, the company did not have to pay compensation but were found at fault for not "locking" the gate to stop access to the pool when empty.

Even a disclaimer notice is not worth the paper it is written on, so bathers beware.

i heard that one the mfr news and his mum was crying on the news yesterday 15/07/04

George Brims
16-Jul-04, 18:01
The "compensation culture" is partly brought about by the principle under which current Health and Safety legislation works, that *everyone* is responsible for the safety of themselves and everyone else. So if for instance you see an unsafe condition or practice at work you are obliged to complain about it rather than waiting for someone to get hurt. The plus side fo that is that it does increase the number of eyes and ears looking out for problems. The bad side is that it gives you more people to sue if you do get hurt!

However I do think too much is made these days of the "silly lawsuit" news item. These have always been around, and just like in the "good old days" they are thrown out of court if they have no merit. They make good filler items for the evening news though, evoking both laughter and cringing.

dpw39
16-Jul-04, 19:41
We should be like France who do not follow our approach to Health & Safety, they feel that if you're "stupid enough to go and do things which are of a dangerous nature, then more fool you! as opposed to the UK's H & S budget, which is reputed to run into billions a year (!!!), possibilities of a nice debate here...

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

golach
16-Jul-04, 19:45
We should be like France who do not follow our approach to Health & Safety, they feel that if you're "stupid enough to go and do things which are of a dangerous nature, then more fool you! as opposed to the UK's H & S budget, which is reputed to run into billions a year (!!!), possibilities of a nice debate here...
:

Dave I am 100% behind you on this issue,

Golach

Fish yet again
17-Jul-04, 01:15
Ok George, "silly law suit news items" or not, it stands to reason that ANYONE who feels aggrieved as a result of an accident / incident will take ALL necessary steps - and legal advice -to ensure that compensation is paid to them. In the real world "victims" are told to "get compo" they hear and read the ads for "No win No fee". Unfortunately todays society insist that after an individual suffers then heads should roll, followed by money rolling into their pockets.
Dont believe me....well others know differently, there are a lot of folk who deliberately go out of their way to "suffer", if it means "compo" all the better as far as they are concerned. When you have nothing, money, job, prospects cracking a "fair go" at the establishment for a wad of "compo" is no hardship. Working for a short time in the Insurance business opened my eyes, folk WILL lie- no matter what the consequences- if it means money for them. Most are told "You'd be daft not to try for compensation"

I expect the first - God forbid - serious accident which occurs (and one will), at either the Trinkie or North baths, may well be followed by lucritive claims.

Still, I know where to go for a swim - and a fall - if I'm ever short of a bob or two......ah e'Trinkie, always worth a grand or two. But the North baths......so much deeper - and, probably dodgier, well worth a DFC (Double Figure Compensation) double figures as in Thousands.

By the way, which "body" has responsibility / control for the sites,Council ? :evil

AllanT
17-Jul-04, 21:06
As far as I understand nobody has control/responsibility for either the Trinkie or north Baths.
Nothing to do with the Council.
The "friends" are simply a group of people who enjoy clearing weed from old swimming pools and applying some whitewash, I doubt they have a constitution, bank account etc.
The pools are filled with sea water at high tides so I suppose if it came to compensation claims they could go after whoever is responsible for the tides. :D

Fish yet again
17-Jul-04, 23:33
Allan, compensation claims would be placed against the individuals responsible for the construction / upkeep and maintainance of the site i.e "the friends". The compensation need not necessarily have to come from "the friends" although if required I'm sure the Baliffs could sort something out.....