PDA

View Full Version : Horse cut knee and now swollen..HELP

cameroncara
06-Sep-10, 20:06
Frodo somehow managed to cut his knee today and what started off just as a cut within a few hours has swollen up. My instinct is not to panic and he is not lame and cut is not deep, i have cold hosed the knee but does anyone have any other advice or experience. Thanks

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Sep-10, 20:15
generally find wounds on joints are mostly going to require vet attention - best thing is cold hosing as you are already doing....

aurora32
06-Sep-10, 20:24
Keep on with the cold hosing and if you can get calendula and hypericam cream, hypercal it is very good at drawing cuts and wounds pop it on some gauze after hosing then bandage, as long as it doesnt swell any more and he isnt lame see how it goes.

cameroncara
06-Sep-10, 20:39
Keep on with the cold hosing and if you can get calendula and hypericam cream, hypercal it is very good at drawing cuts and wounds pop it on some gauze after hosing then bandage, as long as it doesnt swell any more and he isnt lame see how it goes.

Thats great have just spoken to my homeopath so will pick it up in the morning along with arnica tablets.

aurora32
06-Sep-10, 20:44
Hope he gets better soon :)

AliciaMackinnon
06-Sep-10, 21:18
Your doing everything you probs can do but as your horse is not lame I doubt its anything to worry about! Keep going with the cold hosing... but if it doesnt clear up in the next 2 or 3 days id get it checked by a vet to be honest!

craigmancie
06-Sep-10, 21:29
You sound like your doing everything right. Swelling is usually the bodies way of fighting off any infection that may be present, as long as your tetanus is up to date im sure he'll be fine.

cameroncara
06-Sep-10, 21:31
Thanks, thats my plan i have told myself to give it until thursday. its always a worry though, but im following my instinct at the moment.

cameroncara
06-Sep-10, 21:34
You sound like your doing everything right. Swelling is usually the bodies way of fighting off any infection that may be present, as long as your tetanus is up to date im sure he'll be fine.

Yeah all vaccines are upto date. to give you a laugh although its hard to explain, but after i cold hosed him, i turned him back out and he went for a roll when he was getting up he went to favour one leg - but funny thing was it was not the sore leg, then when he realised he swapped but gave me a funny look, im sure he is loving all the attention he got today.

teenybash
06-Sep-10, 21:58
Hope your Frodo heals well and quick........:)

Leanne
07-Sep-10, 00:03
i agree with everyone else-keep up with the cold hosing-the longer the better, think 20 mins not 5. Another good tip is to smear with honey and wrap in a baby's nappy to draw out any infection. If the swelling hasn't gone down in 48 hours i'd get a shot of broad spectrum antibiotics. I don't take any chances with legs-there's not much skin to graft if infection sets in.

I'm sure he'll be fine-you caught it quick...

cameroncara
07-Sep-10, 10:00
Swelling is slightly better today and i have just collected the hypercal amd arnica so when i get home from work i will dose him up etc. Thank you so much everyone for your support it means alot. xx

Liz
07-Sep-10, 13:08
Glad Frodo's knee isn't so swollen and hope the remedies will make it completely better.:D

cameroncara
07-Sep-10, 21:15
Thanks all, been back out at him again tonight i was going to cold hose him again but the rain i think has done that. The knee does not seem as bad, its still swollen but im sure its not as swollen as yesterday, and he certainly cant be bothered about it as he was prancing around the field and playing with Bracken. So as long as the swelling goes down in a few days i will be hppy but if not i will get the vet out at end of week.

teenybash
07-Sep-10, 21:28
Glad you fella is full of beans...always a good sign;)

cameroncara
10-Sep-10, 20:09
Had the vet out today, and they say he is ok, he has a slight infection brewing but they say no lasting problems, so i have some cream and bute for him but hopefully by end of weekend he should be much better.