PDA

View Full Version : Secret Britain

starry
05-Sep-10, 22:02
Did anyone watch it tonight ?

Can anyone tell me the name of the beach they visited at the very end ?

Kodiak
05-Sep-10, 22:22
That beach was at the mouth Keavaig River and the Bothy was the Keavaig Cottage. The Keavaig is a great River for Salmon as well.

They never got to Cape Wrath as that is still a further 6 to 7 miles up the road where the Lighthouse is.

I lived at Cape Wrath Lighthouse for nearly 5 Years.

Here is a Pic from GoogleMaps of the Keavaig Beach and you can see the Cottage on the right.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1zlg31k.jpg

starry
05-Sep-10, 22:49
thanks Kodiak

so how difficult would it be to get there ?

Joboco
05-Sep-10, 22:54
I think there is a 1 car ferry across the estuary.
But if you want a real adventure do the Cape Wrath trail from Fort William to Cape Wrath 200mile or so.

Kodiak
05-Sep-10, 22:59
You drive to Durness and then to the Kyle of Durness. There is a Landing there where you get a small ferry across. Goiung by the programme tonight it is now run by Roberta of the MOD.

I do not know how to get in contact with them but if you enquire at the Cape Wrath Hotel they might be able to tell you. The hotel is not far from the Kyle of Durness landing.

The ferry will take you across the Kyle of Durness and there used to be a Mini-Bus that ran from the Landing up to the Lighthouse, but I do not think it runs now.

It is Eleven and a Half Miles from the Landing to the Lighthouse up the single track road. It would be a long hard hike up to either Keavaig or Cape Wrath, I know I would not like to do it even when I was stationed there.

You can walk in from the other side. There is a Road that takes you within about a mile of Sandwood Bay, That is the first beach they were at, and you can walk in over the moor.

It is a little dangerous but it can be dome and would take 2 to 3 Hours to walk from Sandwood Bay.

You would be best to look up a good map of the area. No point in using Google Maps as most of the area is Fogged out due to it being MOD Property.

Kodiak
05-Sep-10, 23:09
I think there is a 1 car ferry across the estuary.
But if you want a real adventure do the Cape Wrath trail from Fort William to Cape Wrath 200mile or so.

It is not a Car Ferry it is just an open Launch with an Outboard engine. Many Many Years ago it wa John Muir who was the Boatman who ran the ferry. He lived on the other side of the Kyle and he used a NLB Launch. He also built a Raft that he took Cars across on. That was how the NLB Tractor and Land Rover was landed on the other side.

Since then there have been quite a few differt Boatmen and women and some have had a facility to take cars across and some have not.

On saying that I do not know if this boat woman has a raft or not as I do not know her. It has been too many years since I have been out that way and I must go again before it is too late and I cant go at all.

starry
06-Sep-10, 08:11
thanks both

I just thought it was so so lovely I really want to go, but won't be doing the Fort William route ;)

Cape Crusader
06-Sep-10, 14:21
The Cape Wrath ferry leaves the slipway at Keoldale, two miles south of Durness. The ferry is a passenger-only service. Current rates are £5.50 adult return and £3.50 single. Sailings commence at 11.00 am during September. The service closes at the end of the month. The ferryman is John (Carbreck) Morrison on 01971 511 246. He has operated the service continuously May to September inclusive since 1984.

The Cape Wrath Hotel no longer exists. It is now a private lodge.

Roberta MacKay has no connection with the ferry. She is employed by the civilian contractors managing the MoD Bombing and Firing Range.

The Cape Wrath Minibus service operates alongside the ferry service and provides public transport to the Cape Wrath lighthouse, usually twice a day (11.00 am and 1.30 pm-ish) during September. Return fares are £10.00 adult and £6.00 child 14 and under. Further details from 01971 511 343.

I know all this because I conduct the minibus service (and have done for the past nine or ten years). I have also acted as Good Neighbour to the lighthouse on behalf of the Northern Lighthouse Board since 2005; this year I was appointed Retained Keeper.

The Secret Britain programme managed, yet again, to portray Cape Wrath as one huge military playground, but it is far too important for that. The programme conveniently forgot to mention that there is a public road crossing the whole of Cape Wrath and the military range. Hardly 'secret' then.

The BBC appear to be very much in the pockets of the military, even to including film footage in last night's programme showing military operations recorded many years ago. The same footage was included in the 'Coast' series some years ago, which similarly did no favours to the far north west.

Rant over. Enjoy.

PM me with an e-mail address and I will sent a full data sheet explaining the Cape, and the ferry and minbus service.

Kodiak
06-Sep-10, 15:05
I forgot about John Morrison and I did not think he wopuld still be the Boatman. I remember him well and if I remember correctly he was married to John Muir's Daughter.

Sure the Bombing that the BBC showed was out of date and not only that but they were Bombing Garvie Island which is 4 Miles down the coast from Cape Wrath.

Since you have been the Mini-Bus Driver for the past 10 Years it Means I do not know you as it was in October 1983 when I was Transfered from Cape WQrath to Stroma Lighthouse.

OOOPS Sorry about the incorrect information regarding the Cape Wrath Hotel. Just goes to show how much time has passed since I was out that way.

Ricco
12-Sep-10, 09:18
I thought this was an excellent series (but then, I am a big fan of Julia). Nice to see some of the Highland stuff, including Waligoe Steps.

Cape Crusader
03-Oct-10, 19:34
Hi there Kodiak,

Thanks for your latest post.

My records show that you were appointed to Cape Wrath on 20th March 1979, you were at the station for 4 years and 6 months, and that you were, as you say, transferred to the light on Stroma with effect from 18th October 1983.

(The current John Morrison is a different ferryman to the John Morrison of your day; that John Morrison DID marry John and Kath Muir's daughter. Kath is still hale and hearty, and lives near me. Same names from different families, eh? Problems, problems.)

Regards.

Friendship is like peshn' yer pants; everyone can see the effects and the result, but only you can feel the warmth.