PDA

View Full Version : Petrol/Diesel prices in Wick/Thurso

Swannie
05-Sep-10, 18:22
Why is there such a difference (approx 5p a litre) between Dunnet's in Wick and Thurso - Wick being cheaper? I know that Dunnets have Tesco to contend with but surely if they took the price down in Thurso the other petrol stations would do so too.

Kodiak
05-Sep-10, 18:44
Dream on!!!! All the stations in Thurso charge the same. Now I am not saying that it is arranged this way but just that this is what they do.

If we ever get a Tesco or ASDA Petrol Station I am sure you will see their Prices fall.

Until they do come down I will do what a lot of people in Thurso do, drive through to Wick for my Shopping and Fuel.

crayola
05-Sep-10, 18:46
Why is there such a difference (approx 5p a litre) between Dunnet's in Wick and Thurso - Wick being cheaper? I know that Dunnets have Tesco to contend with but surely if they took the price down in Thurso the other petrol stations would do so too....and all the people would be happy but the Thurso filling stations would make 5p a litre less profit.

ducati
05-Sep-10, 18:50
If everyone charged even within 2 or 3 pence a litre of Tesco then I am sure people would buy petrol at a convienient local station rather than going to Tesco Wick. Seems a bit short sighted to me but maybe there is not enough margin.

But while it is up to 16p a litre dearer at some stations I will continue to travel 10 miles to wick to fill up. :eek:

Alba.gu.brath
06-Sep-10, 12:18
Greed....!!!!

orkneycadian
06-Sep-10, 18:33
Out of interest, what are the prices per litre you are talking about over there?

ducati
06-Sep-10, 18:48
Currently, Tesco Wick 119p for Diesel, I think 114p for Petrol.

Anything up to 135p anywhere else :eek:

orkneycadian
06-Sep-10, 18:52
Hmmm... 129.9 (why not just call it 130 and be done with it?) in Kirkwall - Probably add another 20p out in the isles!

mrlennie
06-Sep-10, 20:14
I can send it over in 5 litre jerry cans for 129.8 PM me for details.

mi16
07-Sep-10, 12:35
I try to avoid supermarket fuel like the plague, hear too many horror stories of burnt valves and stuck injectors.
For me, filling up in Aberdeen works well 114p here for Diesel
Not practical for most folks though unfortunately

brandy
07-Sep-10, 13:31
well i stopped at the one besides lidls in thurso last week as was taking hubby to work. it was 125.9 and in wick it was 114.9! crazy!!

onecalledk
07-Sep-10, 13:54
I was in Elgin the other week and filled up at the Esso station there, cost me 111.9p. Before leaving caithness I had filled up on tesco petrol. I know people will argue that there is no difference between supermarket petrol and branded petrol but I find that there is. The fuel in Elgin has taken me further than the fuel from Tesco as it does everytime I buy non supermarket petrol.

Cheaper does not equate further. The Esso petrol was CHEAPER than the tesco petrol in Elgin when I filled up by at least 3p, so how does that work ? then again I suppose Elgin has an ASDA to keep Tesco in check ...

K

orkneycadian
08-Sep-10, 09:44
I can send it over in 5 litre jerry cans for 129.8 PM me for details.
Would love to take you up on your offer - Price saving, as well as free jerry cans would make it well worth while, but alas, "loose" petrol cannot be carried on our "lifeline" ferry service.... :roll: