PDA

View Full Version : American Football (Yawn)

teddybear1873
04-Sep-10, 19:22
Still trying to figure out this strange game. I've been to 3 matches so far and I have to say the game is slow and the atmposhere is dire at these matches.

They play the national anthem at the start of the game and NOT 1 supporter sings along(thought americans were patriotic).

I never hear the supporters sing along to pump the team up. All I hear them shouting is "YEEEEEE, WOOOOOOO, YEEEEEEEE, WOOOOOO. DEFENCE, DEFENCE, DEFENCE"

The person next to me said " Isn't this game electric? The hairs is standing on the back of my neck"

Obviously he hasn't been to Scotland to watch the Old Firm or see the Tartan Army in action.

golach
04-Sep-10, 19:30
Still trying to figure out this strange game. I've been to 3 matches so far and I have to say the game is slow and the atmposhere is dire at these matches.

They play the national anthem at the start of the game and NOT 1 supporter sings along(thought americans were patriotic).

I never hear the supporters sing along to pump the team up. All I hear them shouting is "YEEEEEE, WOOOOOOO, YEEEEEEEE, WOOOOOO. DEFENCE, DEFENCE, DEFENCE"

The person next to me said " Isn't this game electric? The hairs is standing on the back of my neck"

Obviously he hasn't been to Scotland to watch the Old Firm or see the Tartan Army in action.

Obviously you did not get to see the latest Scotland debacle. I would have rather watched paint dry, how our National team deserves a following like the Tartan Army, I have no idea.

Amy-Winehouse
04-Sep-10, 20:14
Whats so good about the tranny army ? Bunch of 40 somethings gettin drunk & baring their backsides at locals all over Europe - Yawn .

Ok they arnt all bad , they dont wreck places anymore like the 60s & 70s but a lot of stuff isnt reported Im led to believe( naughty boys)

Id rather Scotland were the talkin point rather than their fans

MileHigh
04-Sep-10, 20:20
I am an American Football fan and can't wait till the new season starts next week. I think its way more interesting than Scottish Football which I think is just joke. Its the same two teams every year Rangers or Celtic, at least with American Football it could be anyone. And as for the banter between Rangers and Celtic fans every week at my work GET A GRIP ! Is it any wonder the national side is so poor ! And at least at Amercian Football Games all the fans from opposite sides stand side by side try that at a Rangers or Celtic game !
Just my opinion though

David Banks
04-Sep-10, 20:20
How did anyone ever get the idea of calling it foot ball ? The ball hardly ever touches anyone's foot !!!

And what's with the sissy padding and helmets ?

teddybear1873
04-Sep-10, 21:45
How did anyone ever get the idea of calling it foot ball ? The ball hardly ever touches anyone's foot !!!

So they can look like Sue Ellen from Dallas.

elamanya
04-Sep-10, 22:07
was recently at a CFL game i really enjoyed the game and all the other stuff going on around the stadium, it was great to sit in your seat and get a beer, wasnt so great trying to explain to our canadian pals why we cant get a drink at a soccer game back home, or why we feel the need to throw things on the pitch, or scream abuse at the other team/fans , and i did get the hang of what was going on , and i did enjoy the game

gleeber
04-Sep-10, 22:10
I quite enjoy the tactics of American football but I couldnt watch much more than the highlights from a game.
As for The national team in Scotland. Golachs right, Weve had wur day. :(

teddybear1873
04-Sep-10, 22:12
was recently at a CFL game i really enjoyed the game and all the other stuff going on around the stadium, it was great to sit in your seat and get a beer, wasnt so great trying to explain to our canadian pals why we cant get a drink at a soccer game back home, or why we feel the need to throw things on the pitch, or scream abuse at the other team/fans , and i did get the hang of what was going on , and i did enjoy the game

Lucky you. Where I am, beer is banned inside the football stadiums, unless I go to watch baseball. There I can sit and have a beer.

Bazeye
05-Sep-10, 00:35
Non league footballs where its at. Chat to the opposing fans before, during and after the game , even have a pint with them and the players after the match.

oldmarine
05-Sep-10, 15:20
There are varied comments about this subject on the Org. These comments vary the same as they have always varied during my 85 years. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Either you like it or you don't. Where I enjoyed watching and playing it during my youth I have lost interest in my later years....

scorrie
06-Sep-10, 14:12

A typical response from someone who knows little about the game. Even with the padding and helmets, there are numerous injuries, some of them horrific. We are talking about guys who are very fast (sometimes Olympic 100m speed), very heavy, or sometimes both. Anyone carrying the ball is game for tackling by unlimited players, up until the point his knee makes contact with the playing surface. Sometimes this playing surface is artificial, making injuries more likely. I challenge anyone who thinks this game is for sissies to stand on an astroturf field, without protection and let half a dozen 300lb men run after them at full tilt!!

I have been watching the NFL for 25 years now and it is more rewarding as you increase your awareness of what actually goes on in every phase of the game. I can understand the stop/start nature is not to everyone's taste but the tactical battle and individual duels that take place in a game, combined to the high level of athleticism and skill makes for a change from the diving and cheating all too commonplace in modern soccer. The absence of bigotry is refreshing as well.

The scorrie millions are going on Baltimore (14/1) this year

teddybear1873
06-Sep-10, 15:22
A typical response from someone who knows little about the game. Even with the padding and helmets, there are numerous injuries, some of them horrific. We are talking about guys who are very fast (sometimes Olympic 100m speed), very heavy, or sometimes both. Anyone carrying the ball is game for tackling by unlimited players, up until the point his knee makes contact with the playing surface. Sometimes this playing surface is artificial, making injuries more likely. I challenge anyone who thinks this game is for sissies to stand on an astroturf field, without protection and let half a dozen 300lb men run after them at full tilt!!

I have been watching the NFL for 25 years now and it is more rewarding as you increase your awareness of what actually goes on in every phase of the game. I can understand the stop/start nature is not to everyone's taste but the tactical battle and individual duels that take place in a game, combined to the high level of athleticism and skill makes for a change from the diving and cheating all too commonplace in modern soccer. The absence of bigotry is refreshing as well.

The scorrie millions are going on Baltimore (14/1) this year

Somehow, I don't think American footballers can go at Olympic 100m speed, unless there skinny little runts. Yes they can put a burst of speed on, but not that fast.

bish667
06-Sep-10, 17:22
Somehow, I don't think American footballers can go at Olympic 100m speed, unless there skinny little runts. Yes they can put a burst of speed on, but not that fast.

Think a few of the running backs and wide recievers are pretty darn fast, most wide recievers are quite skinny and all muscle. Sorry I dont have any statistics to show how fast they actually are.
Fair enough maybe not as fast as Olympic 100m sprinters but they wouldnt be far off.

This is just another topic where the people that like american football argue with the people that dont.
This comes with any sport.

scorrie
07-Sep-10, 00:49

OK, clearly, you, having watched 3 games, know more about this than me, who has seen nearly every televised game for the past 25 years.

Google the following names:-

Ron Brown, wide receiver Los Angeles Rams (Olympic Gold Medal 100m Relay)

Renaldo Nehemiah, wide receiver San Francisco 49r's (Former World Record Holder 110m H)

Willie Gault, Wide receiver Chicago Bears (USA 100m relay team-boycotted Olympics)

Darrell Green, Cornerback Washington Redskins (One of the NFL's fastest ever men)

Plenty of NFL stars are just short of top class track speed. In any case, only so many can make the team for Olympics and World Championships. Multi-Million dollar contracts await these men in the NFL. I can assure you, they are FAST!!

Disgraced UK sprinter Dwain Chambers was offered a contract by the Carolina Panthers but had to back off after suffering an injury.

This is a sport where players can differ in height by a full foot and some player will weigh twice what another player will. Some hefty players can still manage a mean 40m dash!!

Tilter
07-Sep-10, 01:05
Ooh I lived there for years and couldn't get into their fitba. Not that I watch Scots or Eng football either. Watch the World Cup as it's only on every 4 years and I always support Cameroon or Cote d'Ivoire or something daft (or maybe not so daft).

But Baseball!!! is brilliant. Nothing like a double header watching the Padres in the sun with your mates/kids/family. Brilliant. Sorry to go off topic but US football is incomprehensible and baseball is grrrrrrrrrrrreat. IMHO

Geo
07-Sep-10, 01:12
Years ago when the Megadrive video game system was all the rage I had the John Madden American Football game for it. It made no sense to me at all and I was about to give up on it when a friend let me borrow a book on American Football rules. I gave it a quick read and it transformed the game, making it interesting and a lot of fun. I've forgotten it all now but I wonder do many in the UK not like it because they don't know what's actually going on?

Tilter
07-Sep-10, 01:21
but I wonder do many in the UK not like it because they don't know what's actually going on?

Yes exactly, that would be me (that's 1 at least). There must be something to it or it's a national conspiracy thing to keep the plebs quiescent and consumerist.

oldmarine
07-Sep-10, 14:52
I've tried both games (American Football and Soccer) and I don't believe either game is for sissies of whatever. Now at 85 years I have to be satisfied with just watching if I get interested.

Joefitz
07-Sep-10, 15:47
What a spectacle! The College games are fantastic, tailgating, the half-time shows, the sheer exuberance of the crowds. Last soccer match I went to was Dundee v. Dundee United in 1962, my dad left, due to the hostlity in the crowd.....never went to another, never miss my local College Football on Saturday....

teddybear1873
07-Sep-10, 16:54
OK, clearly, you, having watched 3 games, know more about this than me, who has seen nearly every televised game for the past 25 years.

Google the following names:-

Ron Brown, wide receiver Los Angeles Rams (Olympic Gold Medal 100m Relay)

Renaldo Nehemiah, wide receiver San Francisco 49r's (Former World Record Holder 110m H)

Willie Gault, Wide receiver Chicago Bears (USA 100m relay team-boycotted Olympics)

Darrell Green, Cornerback Washington Redskins (One of the NFL's fastest ever men)

Plenty of NFL stars are just short of top class track speed. In any case, only so many can make the team for Olympics and World Championships. Multi-Million dollar contracts await these men in the NFL. I can assure you, they are FAST!!

Disgraced UK sprinter Dwain Chambers was offered a contract by the Carolina Panthers but had to back off after suffering an injury.

This is a sport where players can differ in height by a full foot and some player will weigh twice what another player will. Some hefty players can still manage a mean 40m dash!!

After being to 3 matches, I'm years of knowing more about the game than you Scorrie. I am sure I will have a different view on the game in a few years. I just find it very hard to follow.

I've been told the Clemson Uni v South Carolina State is one of the biggest games down here. I am hoping to go to a big college match in the near future.

George Brims
07-Sep-10, 18:47
I don't remember the name, but a few years back the Oakland Raiders had a guy who was an Olympic medalist at the triple jump. A number of other Olympic class athletes have been in the sport. Less so now since track and field guys can make money doing that (I wouldn't mind living off 10% of what Usain Bolt must be pulling in). The really fast ones tend to be the wide receivers, or the defenders covering them. What would surprise you is the acceleration of a lot of those players, even the big guys. It's not your 100 yard time that will get you hired, it's your 40 yard time.
I personally quite enjoy American football, but it's still only a poor substitute for rugby as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately rugby is hard to see over here the last few years - no Six Nations on TV. I also find the college version of American football more fun to watch - the players are younger, lighter and faster for the most part. College games just started but it's not been going well. Our guys (UCLA) lost, and the cross-town rivals (USC) beat my other favorite team, Hawaii.