PDA

View Full Version : New houses in Wick

bagpuss
14-Jul-06, 20:32
I've heard that the old church building in High Street is about to be turned into a block of luxury flats. Anyone know who'd doing this? I know Picture This has closed down, but is Fairways closing down as well? Or is it true they're moving to Bridge Street? Help!! I've just bought a house and I need to get curtains for it- where will I get them if Ernie and Mary call it a day?

Fran
18-Jul-06, 00:59
As fgar as i know the old church premises now used as a framing shop is up for sale as a shop but planning permission could be saught to make it into a dwelling. it wouldnt be big enough for flats. Fairways are not closing.

bagpuss
18-Jul-06, 22:58
I was in the shop today-apparently the building is actually much bigger than anyone realises- part of it is the store room for HB Reid, Fairways have part of the ground floor- and there's a whole storey above the frame shop, but it was converted on a shoe string. Think Ernie's only worried about the roof coming down on him, if the builders move in and start knocking things out. He reckons that if someone bought the whole building it could be turned into something interesting, but no-one's made him any offer as yet.

The rumour I'd heard was either Sutherlands or Hendersons were moving in to do the conversion and that there was an offer on the table for the owner of the upstairs space

bagpuss
19-Jul-06, 23:11
Looks as if quite a lot of town centre offices are due to become flats- the bit above the TSB is for sale as a house too.

katarina
20-Jul-06, 09:00
please don't let fairways close! Earnie is so lovely and helpful, and there seems to be no where else in the town who does curtains. Mackays's and Homebase both do bedding - but why not curtains? Mackays used to - but not any more. I'm decorating a room for a wee rangers fan, so I need curtains with appropriate colours. Can't get them in wick. anyone any ideas?

Tattie B
20-Jul-06, 17:46
have u tried the wallpaper shop in dempster street they had rangers and celtic curtains and duvet covers at one time.

bagpuss
20-Jul-06, 23:16
When I needed jade coloured curtains once, Fairways sold me sheets and got their curtain maker to turn them into curtains for me.