PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Earl

David Banks
03-Sep-10, 19:43
The weather warning for Halifax and the east coast of NS has just been upgraded from a tropical storm to a hurricane.

This is going to be a new experience for me.

Caithness gales are the only 'training' I have had.

Any other bluenosers on the org? Keep in touch!

brandy
03-Sep-10, 20:07
been thru a few huricanes in my time.. *G* orig. from NC. the worst one i ever saw was HUGO .. was a kid back then and that was just a bit scary.. i remember my uncle and his family had to evacuate and came home.. and still couldnt get away from the storm.. they lived on the SC coast at the time.. and im from the foothills.. so normally the huricanes dont hit us.. but HUGO just swept thru.. mountains didnt even phase it!

achastle
04-Sep-10, 01:22
Another bluenoser here - well I'd rather be known as a backsider! Caithness gales will have given you great training especially if you've seen haystacks blowing around and slates falling off roofs. A lot of media hype here this week but I think we'll be fine. In Caithness we wouldn't be "oot to 'e shop" for supplies like they were here in the Valley today. After all it will be all over by this time tomorrow!

Betty
04-Sep-10, 01:58
Batten down your hatches oot there David! It does seem that NC has been spared, but good luck to you tomorrow. I'm not a bluenoser but am on the prairies, so will be watching your fate.

David Banks
04-Sep-10, 02:43
Welcome to the org achastle!

I haven't been in NS that long, but 'backsider' is a new one to me, and to one Haligonian I just checked with - does it refer to someone from the valley?

My memories of Caithness gales were of anything insubstantially built being blown about such as hen houses, or wooden lean-to's. Also, the gales lasted days, not hours like Earl is forecast to do.

You are absolutely right about the media hype - and - the rushing out the the shops!!!

achastle
04-Sep-10, 13:12
You needed to ask a "weeker" - not a Halgonian! Born and bred in Wick but over here 40 years now - not all in NS. So far we have some rain and a bit of wind but nothing to worry about.

David Banks
04-Sep-10, 20:14
Just some wind left here in Beechville.

Just went for a walk. Two houses on Beechtree Run, and one on Sheppards Run have siding damage. One house had severe damage on two sides. All houses were at the highest, most exposed elevations in the subdivision.

A little tree damage (nature's pruning) and a couple of For Sale signs blown over.

The northern part of the province and PEI are getting it just now.

Reportedly, half of the province has power cuts, some which will take a couple of days to fix.

So, Earl cannot be considered a 'nothing' storm.

Stack Rock
04-Sep-10, 20:47
According to the records Halifax airport had gusts of 75 mph today - Wick has forcasted high SE/E winds for the next 5 days gusting to 50mph on Sun/ Mon - whats new!!!!!
PS - A couple of years ago the weather in NS was great - enjoyed a dram at the Scottish bar at the Halifax harbour front when the tall ships were in.

oldmarine
05-Sep-10, 15:25
I have never been in a hurricane so am not qualified to comment on the subject. I have close friends who have suffered throug a couple and they told me they are not enjoyable....

Mr P Cannop
05-Sep-10, 16:05
any live web cams or live web sites for this ??