PDA

View Full Version : What great customer service! Not.

_Ju_
03-Sep-10, 17:08
Today at Tesco I was looking for a rucksac for my son and found a 20l one that is big enough for a few days out for him at Tesco. The price was for 19.99 (not on special, mind you). I noticed that it had a fungal type organism growing all over the straps and right through them ( some kind of mildew or mould- the straps at least had gotten wet at some point and stored in conditions that kept them from drying out). As a person who has done her fair share of camping, I know what mildew looks like!
Any hoo, the bag itself looked like it had not been affected, but the straps could be weakened and the mildew had grown right through, even through
the the back straps where they overlapped and there were no unaffected rucsaks on the shelf. So i thought, if i get a couple of seasons out of it and then the weightbearing straps gave, i could live with that, but not at the full asking price, so off I go to customer service to see what would happen. Afterall, I had nothing at all to loose!
I pointed out the problem, and told them all the bags were affected. The gentleman on duty said he would have to speak to his manager, but at the most it would be 10% off. I said that I would not be interested in that, but he was going to get his manager to come have a look anyways. So i went back later to find out what was what.....
...... and was told to my face two ridiculously contadictory tales about the mysterious strap markings.
First I was told it was dust. Dust????? Dust that grows through the straps? Dust that always settles in concentric circular shapes? Dust that on close inspection is a long fibre like the mold that grows on oranges? Dust that settles even on covered/layered straps?
Then in almost the same breath that it was glue used during manufacturing. Glue???? Glue that rubs off with a gentle brush of the finger tip? Glue that dries opaque?
C'mon Tesco, you are not obliged to lower your prices when you are asked, but do not print a label called stupid and then try to glue it on my head.

By the way, the mildew in it's self, will weaken the straps and once it gets into the fabric it is not easy to get completely rid off and involves quite alot of work cleaning and leaving to dry in the sunshine, etc. It also leaves stains and when you are getting a new rucksak, why should it already be stained and with a potentially shortened life, so heads up if you are buying a rucksac there. Check the straps!

annemarie482
03-Sep-10, 17:48
you were offered a discount but you wanted it for "a bargain!"
amazing how many customers go raking to find a reason to get something cheaper!! lol
ye'd think it was a market! :lol:

ashaw1
03-Sep-10, 17:58
Sorry but i agree with the above post. If you were not happy with the item or price they were asking then go elsewhere.

Kodiak
03-Sep-10, 18:06
No one was telling you that you had to buy the item. If you do not like it for any reason just do not buy. Simples :Razz

brandy
03-Sep-10, 18:32
i think it was more the fact that the op knew it was mold.. and was told it wasnt.. when it was apparently obvious. well thats what i took from the post anyway. no harm trying to get something cheaper when it is faulty.. but i wouldnt like to be lied to about a product either..

auk
03-Sep-10, 19:42
take it some of you work in tesco as you seem to think if someone isnt happy to buy a rucksack which that is covered with mould for full price then they are at fault not the massive supermarket chain that has sucked the live out of the centre of wick. Lets see how supportive of tescos you are when its the only shop you have left.

Bazeye
03-Sep-10, 20:00
take it some of you work in tesco as you seem to think if someone isnt happy to buy a rucksack which that is covered with mould for full price then they are at fault not the massive supermarket chain that has sucked the live out of the centre of wick. Lets see how supportive of tescos you are when its the only shop you have left.

Ex shop owner/worker by any chance?

ashaw1
03-Sep-10, 20:09

Tesco don't force anyone to shop there! If you don't want to then don't! It's not rocket science!

Who's saying that it's Tesco at fault because the rucksack was mouldy, could easily be the supplier. Tesco could easily return it to them for a full refund, they are not the huge company that they are because they give stuff away at bargain prices.

And no i don't work for them!

annemarie482
03-Sep-10, 20:55

in any shop you get the same chancers, and you and get a feel for a person from the way they word their thread.
i for one am more than happy to have the dreaded "T" supply my cheap goods!!
If i notice something is wrong with a product and can be bothered i'd mention it, otherwise i'd ask for one that wasnt "damaged" as they may have more out back. and certainly wouldn't be saying half the price and i'll buy your defective goods!!:lol::roll:
god the org is full of hate:roll:

_Ju_
03-Sep-10, 21:29
I wonder what was wrong with my wording that identified me as a chancer. Yet Tesco telling me to my face that it was dusty glue is honesty personified..... nevermind.
If you want a mould stained rucksak priced for new, then you know where to get it. I personally didn't want one, so I didn't take it. What is wrong is that they invented a story about their product that is false. To the face of the person questioning them and in face of evidence right their infront of their nose. Some other shmuck will, I am sure fall for the dusty glue story.

PS: There were NO others. Did you read everysecond word of my post, AnnMarie? That way you only get half the information.

telfordstar
03-Sep-10, 21:37
Man don't you just loooovvvvveeee Tesco!!

annemarie482
03-Sep-10, 21:49
yes they were wrong to "invent " a story but i would say they were probably trying to buy time to decide what to do about the issue.
and having worked in retail, they were probably considering ...
do they sell to you marked down?
or return a whole case to supplier for full refund etc.
in such a large store where staff numbers are continually being cut, some things will inevitably be missed.
you are right, but how you approach a subject with a manager can determine the outcome.
if you go in all guns blazing, they will assume you've come specifically for this purpose (which many do!)
i meant that from reading your thread your obviously strong minded and mostly likely agrued until you realised they just weren't having it.
and
PS.. i did read your OP and in it you said
"I pointed out the problem, and told them all the bags were affected"
on the shelf, and as i said there may have been more out back. but lets not get petty.

upolian
03-Sep-10, 21:51
'Today at Tesco I was looking for a rucksac for my son and found a 20l one that is big enough for a few days out for him at Tesco'

Sounds like he is going to be camping at tesco for a few days lol

_Ju_
03-Sep-10, 22:00
I did not go in all guns blazing. I even went to do my shopping while the fellow spoke to the manager, so I don't see how I pressured him unless I did it remotely. In your mind you decided I approached them arrogantly and loudly demanding a reduction in the price. If you had bothered to read my post you would have understood that I was extrememly unhappy at being called stupid to my face in everyway except literally. They are falsly representing their goods. I don't care if it was the suppliers fault the mould is there. Their operatives put them up on the shelf as is. They are inviting you to a contract with them with faulty goods. And then telling you you don't know what you are looking at when the faulty product is right there in front of both of you. but then hey ho...me I am the bolshy chancer who wanted a huge discount on a geat rucksak. Heck, I probably even took the dusty glue in myself and sprinkled it all over the rucksaks.

There was a time when businesses listened to their clients. Now the businesses are so big and monopolizing, that they have taken client choice away and so no longer need to listen to you. I will not be pushed over like that.

_Ju_
05-Sep-10, 19:26
yes they were wrong to "invent " a story but i would say they were probably trying to buy time to decide what to do about the issue.
and having worked in retail, they were probably considering ...
do they sell to you marked down?
or return a whole case to supplier for full refund etc.
in such a large store where staff numbers are continually being cut, some things will inevitably be missed.

Tesco have dealt with said bags. The one I took to customers service was neatly placed back on the shelf along with his mouldy brothers and sisters to wait for a shmuck. That is tesco customer service for you. :)

S&LHEN
05-Sep-10, 19:32
ha ha ha ha ha ha .... sorry when I read this comment i couldnt help but laugh out loud ha ha ha ha ha xx

'Today at Tesco I was looking for a rucksac for my son and found a 20l one that is big enough for a few days out for him at Tesco'

Sounds like he is going to be camping at tesco for a few days lol

Invisible
05-Sep-10, 20:43
Today at Tesco I was looking for a rucksac for my son and found a 20l one that is big enough for a few days out for him at Tesco. The price was for 19.99 (not on special, mind you). I noticed that it had a fungal type organism growing all over the straps and right through them ( some kind of mildew or mould- the straps at least had gotten wet at some point and stored in conditions that kept them from drying out). As a person who has done her fair share of camping, I know what mildew looks like!
Any hoo, the bag itself looked like it had not been affected, but the straps could be weakened and the mildew had grown right through, even through
the the back straps where they overlapped and there were no unaffected rucsaks on the shelf. So i thought, if i get a couple of seasons out of it and then the weightbearing straps gave, i could live with that, but not at the full asking price, so off I go to customer service to see what would happen. Afterall, I had nothing at all to loose!
I pointed out the problem, and told them all the bags were affected. The gentleman on duty said he would have to speak to his manager, but at the most it would be 10% off. I said that I would not be interested in that, but he was going to get his manager to come have a look anyways. So i went back later to find out what was what.....
...... and was told to my face two ridiculously contadictory tales about the mysterious strap markings.
First I was told it was dust. Dust????? Dust that grows through the straps? Dust that always settles in concentric circular shapes? Dust that on close inspection is a long fibre like the mold that grows on oranges? Dust that settles even on covered/layered straps?
Then in almost the same breath that it was glue used during manufacturing. Glue???? Glue that rubs off with a gentle brush of the finger tip? Glue that dries opaque?
C'mon Tesco, you are not obliged to lower your prices when you are asked, but do not print a label called stupid and then try to glue it on my head.

By the way, the mildew in it's self, will weaken the straps and once it gets into the fabric it is not easy to get completely rid off and involves quite alot of work cleaning and leaving to dry in the sunshine, etc. It also leaves stains and when you are getting a new rucksak, why should it already be stained and with a potentially shortened life, so heads up if you are buying a rucksac there. Check the straps!

Typical Caithness folk, blaming Tesco for everything.

_Ju_
06-Sep-10, 06:55
I know. It's my fault for noticing it. It's my fault that I am picky and it's my fault I am not just as stupid as the service point personell want to make me out to be. But never mind, Invisible, maybe you are?

Beat Bug
06-Sep-10, 09:56
I agree with the fact that the help desk staff are not always helpfu, and make up reasons for a product being faulty. I bought a small pruner for garden use. One of those that when you squeeze the handles together
with one hand it springs open. Well, this one didn't open. The brain-box on the help desk told me it was for safety reasons, and that the clip should be pulled open with the other hand. He went to get me a replacement, and said there were none, so gave me a refund. While doing my shopping, I spotted a load of them, hanging exactly where I told him they were! Just where do they get their staff?

Invisible
06-Sep-10, 17:24
I know. It's my fault for noticing it. It's my fault that I am picky and it's my fault I am not just as stupid as the service point personell want to make me out to be. But never mind, Invisible, maybe you are?

with a face like mine, i canna be picky

puffin croft
06-Sep-10, 18:37
2 weeks ago i wanted to get the set of twilight books for my daughters birthday.they were all sold separately but the very first in the set had only one on the shelf and the front cover was torn.i took it to the help desk and explained that i needed another as i wanted to buy the set.i was told there were no more in stock,i said when will u have the next delivery as my daughters birthday was 3 days away? was told there were no more planned deliverys! i said could i buy the torn one for a reduced price,as i couldnt buy the rest of the set without the first one?was told no they wouldn t reduce it! i said no one else is going to give u anything for it! the answer was still no! i bought the vampire diaries set in the end but it just seemed so petty not to let me have it!!

Blarney
06-Sep-10, 23:29
I don't think they are being petty, just adhering to the rules of a big organisation. If the OP went into a small store the owner would have the flexibility to reduce something as they saw fit but Tesco staff haven't got the authority to do that.
Personally, I have had occasion to return items to the store and have always been treated fairly and courteously.....and before anyone asks neither I, nor any member of my family, works there. I just believe in giving credit where it's due.

_Ju_
07-Sep-10, 06:15
It's fine that they do not have the authority to be flexible on pricing. But then just say that and do not lie and fob you off about their product.
Puffin croft, I sympathise with your need to quickly have gotten your daughters birthday present. I am sure they felt they had you by the whats-its and got their product sold. Next time try book depository: nothing extra for postage and the prices can be excellent!

I definately see a picture developing here, with regard to Tesco treating their customers like the idiots they believe them all to be.

EDDIE
07-Sep-10, 07:37
It's fine that they do not have the authority to be flexible on pricing. But then just say that and do not lie and fob you off about their product.
Puffin croft, I sympathise with your need to quickly have gotten your daughters birthday present. I am sure they felt they had you by the whats-its and got their product sold. Next time try book depository: nothing extra for postage and the prices can be excellent!

I definately see a picture developing here, with regard to Tesco treating their customers like the idiots they believe them all to be.

Unfortunatley tescos has the run of the area they have no real competiton so they dont really need to excell themselves in customer care thats why caithness needs more than one big supermarket like asda to create competition and give people real alternative in where they want to do there shopping.

_Ju_
07-Sep-10, 09:49
Eddie, I wholeheartedly agree and have always felt the same.

As an individual customer I can only make sure that they get as little of my custom as possible, so I tend to plan my shopping away for those hard to get items up here, or to purchase them online.

telfordstar
07-Sep-10, 12:18

I must admit some of them on the customer service desk have major attitude problems, complain to managers, some of them have one too!!!

MsF
08-Sep-10, 22:23
Yep. bring on asda/morrisons/sainsburys whatever, but get rid of the monopoly of tesco:roll: just go to frasers or lidl now,nice friendly helpful staff:)