PDA

View Full Version : Another Mexican Gulf Oil Rig Explodes

Tubthumper
02-Sep-10, 19:43
Thankfully no reports of fatalities, but one injury and 13 'thrown into the sea'.

But this rig's run by a US company; even if there's no spill, I wonder if there'll be an uproar in the states this time...

annemarie482
02-Sep-10, 21:31
most likely.
it's easy for us "shore dwellers" to tut and shake our heads, but as the wife of an offshore man, you have to respect that it is an extremely dangerous business.
they're working in sometimes unbelievable conditions with very high pressured and technical equipment and machinery.
although we hear about such accidents in the news we should also be greatful that there are so few considering the amount of oilrigs,platforms, drillships out there.

mrlennie
02-Sep-10, 22:29
most likely.
it's easy for us "shore dwellers" to tut and shake our heads, but as the wife of an offshore man, you have to respect that it is an extremely dangerous business.
they're working in sometimes unbelievable conditions with very high pressured and technical equipment and machinery.
although we hear about such accidents in the news we should also be greatful that there are so few considering the amount of oilrigs,platforms, drillships out there.

Good point but surely just as a joiner who plays with power saws all day is trained and given proper equipment how much more so with lives and the planets eco system at risk!

annemarie482
02-Sep-10, 22:38
Good point but surely just as a joiner who plays with power saws all day is trained and given proper equipment how much more so with lives and the planets eco system at risk!

that is true, but with oil exploration, there are a lot of factors which you cant necessarily predict accurately thus accidents happen.
take plane crashes and car crashes for example.
car crashes happen on a daily basis, but the plane crashes hit the news because they hit on a larger scale.
how many joiners visit a&e with injuries etc
i fully get what your saying, i really do. but i do believe there are many too quick to point rather than solve if you get what i mean?

mrlennie
02-Sep-10, 22:48
that is true, but with oil exploration, there are a lot of factors which you cant necessarily predict accurately thus accidents happen.
take plane crashes and car crashes for example.
car crashes happen on a daily basis, but the plane crashes hit the news because they hit on a larger scale.
how many joiners visit a&e with injuries etc
i fully get what your saying, i really do. but i do believe there are many too quick to point rather than solve if you get what i mean?

Yes I understand you fully the headlines do twist the true picture. It is one of them trades where you put your life at risk knowing you are doing exploratory work - Thank you for your clarification.

Aaldtimer
03-Sep-10, 03:12
No explosion.
There was a fire on the rig.
All 13 personnel accounted for.
One seriously hurt.
No oil leakage.
Just a wee industrial accident.
Usual media over reaction.:confused

George Brims
03-Sep-10, 20:09
The US media were pretty quick to move on from this incident once it was clear nobody was seriously hurt (there was a report at one point that there had been one fatality but that was quickly corrected). Now we're back to Paris Hilton's drug arrest and Lindsay Lohan's rehab. Oh and there's something about a bloke called Earl causing trouble. I thought the Dixie Chicks had sorted him but it seems he's still on the go.

Bazeye
03-Sep-10, 20:21
Now we're back to Paris Hilton's drug arrest and Lindsay Lohan's rehab. .

Probably started off on cannabis, I shouldnt wonder.

Phill
03-Sep-10, 20:31
Usual media over reaction. Noooooo!

The US media were pretty quick to move on from this incident once it was clear nobody was seriously hurtThey were pretty quick to gloss over the 11(?) deaths of the last one but kept singing a tune about BRITISH Petroleum.

Probably started off on cannabis, I shouldnt wonder.Yeah, ban it I say....or are we legalising it......sod it, I'm off fer a smoke.