PDA

View Full Version : computer running slow

Billy Boy
14-Jul-06, 13:36
my computer is about 6 months old and it has started running slow which is a real pain, can anyone tell me what could be causing this :confused

blueivy
14-Jul-06, 14:53
Hi,

Do you use a firewall when connecting to the internet?
When is it slow (ie. all the time, on startup, when using a particular app etc.)?

It could be anything but if it has just started happening, the first place to start would be a thorough virus and spyware scan as this tends to be the main culprit. You could also check out the fragmentation of the hard drive (although this is becoming less of an issue these days).

I have seen it recommended that Windows should be reinstalled about once a year (or once every 6 months depending on your usage) as the more you install and uninstall the more garbage is left behind by the applications. I do it about once a year when things start to slow down as it's the quickest way of fixing the slow loading problems.

Let me know if you need any more help (or suggestions).

Billy Boy
14-Jul-06, 19:10
Hi,

Do you use a firewall when connecting to the internet?
When is it slow (ie. all the time, on startup, when using a particular app etc.)?

It could be anything but if it has just started happening, the first place to start would be a thorough virus and spyware scan as this tends to be the main culprit. You could also check out the fragmentation of the hard drive (although this is becoming less of an issue these days).

I have seen it recommended that Windows should be reinstalled about once a year (or once every 6 months depending on your usage) as the more you install and uninstall the more garbage is left behind by the applications. I do it about once a year when things start to slow down as it's the quickest way of fixing the slow loading problems.

Let me know if you need any more help (or suggestions).

have sent you a pm

Mr P Cannop
15-Jul-06, 08:49
are you in wick ??

Billy Boy
21-Jul-06, 18:26
my computer is now running brilliant thanks to a friend who advised me that it was my norton anti virus that could be causing the problem, he removed it and installed a different anti virus software. It is now running rapid.
just goes to show that it pays to ask around for advise, i could of ended up spending an absolute fortune when i didnt have to :D

blueivy
22-Jul-06, 00:28
Glad to hear the machine is now working as it should.

I'm sorry the advice I gave wasn't useful to you. Unfortunately there are so many things that could cause a PC to go wrong (just think about the same problem with your car!) that having a look and a dig around is the only way to go. Glad your friend got the chance, spotted it and saved you a fortune.

Out of curiosity, which anti-virtus software did he install for you?