PDA

View Full Version : Interdigital cyst

Liz
02-Sep-10, 12:52
Benjy has just been diagnosed as having this and been told it will probably keep recurring.:(

Has anyone any experience of these?

I am on the search for natural remedies to both prevent and treat these.

teenybash
02-Sep-10, 20:27
Sorry to hear Benjy has an annoying cyst....I would think the best way to home treat is to keep the area clean and dry. I know anithistamines can be given, but if you want to stick with mother nature probably good old cider apple vinegar....this will kill any bacteria and kill off itch for him.
Did the vet say what has caused the cyst as they can sometimes be a result as an embedded grass seed or some such thing?

bullielove
02-Sep-10, 21:24
Hi Liz

These are very common in bull terriers. Bathing in salt water, dry properly then put on some sudocreme can help.. or malaseb baths (yeast killing shampoo) helps some too. Poor Benjy hope he doesnt get them often as they are not nice

_Ju_
02-Sep-10, 21:41
If it is due to a foreign body, eventually it might be rejected by the body and the cyst will disappear. Keep an eye on it especially if it starts looking particularly infected or growing larger.
Teenybash, there are weed seeds that can provoke this. They were very comon in portugal. The seed barbs work like a fish hook, not allowing it to go back out. Sometimes the seed went in at the bottom of the foot and popped out a couple of weeks later on the top of the foot!

Liz
02-Sep-10, 22:21
Thanks everyone.

I had been putting colloidal silver on it and then applying aloe vera gel(from a plant) and that helped a lot.

I am getting a homeopathic remedy which will hopefully stop it from recurring. It includes Silica which makes the body 'eject' any foreign bodies such as grass seed.

I am glad to say that although his toe is still a bit swollen it isn't inflamed and he's not in pain any more and is getting a good night's sleep at last.

gunnlass
04-Sep-10, 21:40
Hi my setter suffered from these, she had two surgically removed and we were told that they would keep recurring possibly resulting in her losing toes! thankfully a friend of mine recommended garlic and fenugreek tablets (dorwest) and the problem never came back, wether this was a co-incedence I don't know but she's never had anymore and that was from 9 years ago, I hope you can find something too.

aurora32
04-Sep-10, 22:23
the fenugreek and garlic tabs as well as a garlic wash are supposed to be very effective for this Liz.
this is Dorwest's web page about it.

http://www.dorwest.com/Top/Common-Problems/I/Inter_Digital-Cysts

Hope this is of some use.

claire x

Liz
04-Sep-10, 23:17
Hi my setter suffered from these, she had two surgically removed and we were told that they would keep recurring possibly resulting in her losing toes! thankfully a friend of mine recommended garlic and fenugreek tablets (dorwest) and the problem never came back, wether this was a co-incedence I don't know but she's never had anymore and that was from 9 years ago, I hope you can find something too.

the fenugreek and garlic tabs as well as a garlic wash are supposed to be very effective for this Liz.
this is Dorwest's web page about it.

http://www.dorwest.com/Top/Common-Problems/I/Inter_Digital-Cysts

Hope this is of some use.

claire x

Thanks ever so much both.

Garlic doesn't usually agree with Benjy but will try it seeing it's mixed with Fenugreek and if it does hurt his tum I can give it to Molly my cat to see whether it will help with her runny eye.

Glad your dog is okay gunnlass.:D

gunnlass
17-Sep-10, 22:42
Hi Liz just wondering how Benjy was getting on?

Liz
17-Sep-10, 23:01
Hi Liz just wondering how Benjy was getting on?

He is fine now thanks gunnlass.:D

The cyst has nearly gone and it isn't bothering him at all. We bathed it in colloidal silver and then applied gel from an aloe vera plant.

I got a homeopathic remedy which I have been told will prevent it from coming back as well which is great.

gunnlass
19-Sep-10, 22:51
That's good to hear.