PDA

View Full Version : Small town or Big city?

mrlennie
01-Sep-10, 22:16
Hi just having a think about what I like about where I live and what I would like about living back in a city.

What is purely to you the best thing about being in caithness?

I think mine is low crime rate - Can't really beat being able to go out and not hurry home at a certain time.

And also if you did like the city - what brought you here?

annemarie482
01-Sep-10, 22:44
Hi just having a think about what I like about where I live and what I would like about living back in a city.

What is purely to you the best thing about being in caithness?

I think mine is low crime rate - Can't really beat being able to go out and not hurry home at a certain time.

And also if you did like the city - what brought you here?

for me........

1:your never far from the sea
(couldn't live without being able to walk the shore and watch the sea.)

2:sense of community
(especially in the villages)

3: pace of life
(the fact you can venture away on holiday to these bustling fast paced places yet return to the green fields and wildlife at home)

4:i was born here
(i love everything about where i come from and i'm very proud to be caithnessian!)

mrlennie
01-Sep-10, 22:47
Yeah number 3 good great going on holiday to a city for a day lol better to get back.

Number 1 for me missus she loves the sea can't see the attraction myself.

sweetpea
01-Sep-10, 22:55
for me........

(the fact you can venture away on holiday to these bustling fast paced places yet return to the green fields and wildlife at home)

(i love everything about where i come from and i'm very proud to be caithnessian!)

Agreed, home is where the heart is and all that:) With No 3 for me it's being able to go to a city and see great bands live.

Logical
02-Sep-10, 17:34
I like that south of here people don't really care who you are and where you are from.

In Caithness everyone needs to know who you are and where your from.
Unless you were born in Wick, your an outsider.

Bazeye
02-Sep-10, 20:56
I never feel like an outsider whenever I visit Thurso.

b3n
02-Sep-10, 21:22
My parents dragged me here when i was 9. loved growing up here. Moved to the city came back then moved again to the city and came back again! I aint moving again :)

I hate holidays cause i know there is no better place to be than Caithness!

redeyedtreefrog
02-Sep-10, 21:32
A low crime rate's always nice, as is nice countryside.

But there's absolutely nothing to do.

Dadie
02-Sep-10, 21:48
Love being back in "nearly" the country.
Love being in a village where the kids can be let out...if you dont know what they are up to someone will tell you:lol:(but mine are too little to be out on their own)
Like the fact we have a shop,Post office and nice neighbours that look out for you and actually speak to you....even the bin men and postie speaks to you!
But hate that you have to drive everywhere... need something...have to drive to get it, doctors appt..drive to it, night out (when??)one of us has to drive or spend a fortune and wait for ages on a taxi, etc...
And that is only from moving from Thurso to Watten!

Vistravi
02-Sep-10, 22:03
Love being back in "nearly" the country.
Love being in a village where the kids can be let out...if you dont know what they are up to someone will tell you:lol:(but mine are too little to be out on their own)
Like the fact we have a shop,Post office and nice neighbours that look out for you and actually speak to you....even the bin men and postie speaks to you!
But hate that you have to drive everywhere... need something...have to drive to get it, doctors appt..drive to it, night out (when??)one of us has to drive or spend a fortune and wait for ages on a taxi, etc...
And that is only from moving from Thurso to Watten!

I would rather live in the "country" than in town ;)

I lived in inverness for a year, enjoyed the fast pace for a while but people don't speak or care. Its kind of a world where you work all day and stay at home at night in ness. I miss the friends i made especilly one who i became very close to and is now my son's godmother. As it is we had no choice but to come back. Hated that at first but now i like it as my son gets to see his family and get to know his grandparents (I never really knew mine so this is important to me) I also nearly always have a babysitter when i need one. Its normal to have two sharing the job such as tomorrow when i'm on my driving lessson lol. My son is very loved by our families so much at times there is a mini argument as to who's turn it is to watch him during my driving lesson lol. :lol:

I love the sea, beaches and the countryside. I love it when my partner is home and we take a drive somewhere to go for a walk with Sami. It's one of the reasons i want my full license so much as my partner works quite a bit now and i sometimes feel like a bird hitting the bars of its cage instead of finding freedom.

Perhaps for me living on the outskirts of somewhere is ideal for me. I'm near but not in.

Bazeye
02-Sep-10, 22:25
And you living in Busyville as well. :lol:

Dadie
02-Sep-10, 22:29
You can be busy and feel like you live in busyville in the middle of nowhere!
I had a pig delivered and butchered last night and 3 small kids and still havent managed to "catch my tail" tonight!
Feeling very busy..and so is the washing machine!

Bazeye
03-Sep-10, 21:03
Whats Dornoch then, a small city?

Kenn
03-Sep-10, 23:15
Being able to sit in the house with the doors and windows open, knowing that if we forget to lock the shed the lawn mower will still be there when we get back, not having to look over my shoulder when I'm out walking to see who is approaching.People who acknowledge you and stop for a chat, folk who are happy to share their knowledge and experiences.Having glorious sceenery and beaches to explore.Being able to sit in the garden and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Recently went down to Edinburgh and could n't wait to leave the people and the traffic behind reminded me of why I moved here...to get away from the rat race.

grannymoose
04-Sep-10, 00:09
for me........

same here except number 4 :), adding to that the Education.
I come from Nottingham where teenagers rule not only the streets but the law as well.
Here it's not just the views it's the people where everybody seems to have time.
This feels as it felt when i came i had come home.

Vistravi
04-Sep-10, 09:28
And you living in Busyville as well. :lol:

Busyville is a very busy place ;) Sometimes not much happens but i'm always so busy lol:lol: