PDA

View Full Version : Freeview

connieb19
13-Jul-06, 20:54
I'm just about to phone Sky to get my Sky TV switched off, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone could remember a thread on here where someone said you could get your Sky changed to Freeview? Is this correct and does anyone know anything about it? :confused:

Spirit
13-Jul-06, 21:01
Not sure about the freeview thing but I phoned sky to cancel my subscription a few months ago. I said it was to expensive and they offered me my existing package (£15 per month) for 75p per month for 6 months. I phoned to cancel a few times before and been offered half price subscription etc but never anything this good. The girl advised it's because lots of people cancel or reduce their packages during the summer.

connieb19
13-Jul-06, 21:05
I've been on half price since January, when I first phoned to cancel. Maybe I will get offered something again this time I phone them..:confused I don't really watch it though, so even at half price it's a waste of money really.

mccaugm
13-Jul-06, 21:06
We got a call this week for half price upgrade to Sky Movies with additional channels. Only cost an extra £7.

footie chick
13-Jul-06, 21:14
Cancelled sky and you get all the same chanels as freeview apart from E4 and Sky Sports News:( all the rest seem to be the same

willowbankbear
13-Jul-06, 21:16
I'm just about to phone Sky to get my Sky TV switched off, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone could remember a thread on here where someone said you could get your Sky changed to Freeview? Is this correct and does anyone know anything about it? :confused:

Surely Senor Barboza bon Jovi isna charging ye at much ye have to get rid of yer Sky connie?:eek:

connieb19
13-Jul-06, 21:18
Surely Senor Barboza bon Jovi isna charging ye at much ye have to get rid of yer Sky connie?:eek:LOL does he know you call him that? :lol:

willowbankbear
13-Jul-06, 21:23
LOL does he know you call him that? :lol:

Aye,well partly aye, He`s heard a lot worse

Spirit
13-Jul-06, 21:54
I've been on half price since January, when I first phoned to cancel. Maybe I will get offered something again this time I phone them..:confused I don't really watch it though, so even at half price it's a waste of money really.

My half price offer had just ended when I phoned to cancel again and was offered the 75p a month for 6 months. I thought it was worth the phone call.
Also I think I seen an advert recently saying that Film Four is going to be free (don't quote me) from the 23 july. Anyone know if this is correct.

2little2late
13-Jul-06, 21:57
Also I think I seen an advert recently saying that Film Four is going to be free (don't quote me) from the 23 july. Anyone know if this is correct.

I can vouch for that as well. I saw the same advert.

Neil
13-Jul-06, 22:00
To answer your question, I think you pay a one off payment of 20 quid and you get a card for your digibox. IT actually only gives you access to BBC1, 2, STV and 4.

I believe the rest of the channels are unscrambled anyway. However, I also believe Sky do not guarantee to keep the service.

IMHO go to Asda, spend about 23 quid and get one of their Freeview boxes with scart lead and audio in and out. Allows you to connect to external equipment.

Hope this helps

sapphire
13-Jul-06, 22:05
I'm feeling a bit foolish here reading these posts.I have been with Sky on the full package for more years than I care to mention and now I find out that if you threaten to cancel your subscription they practically give it to you for nothing!
Knowing my luck if I called they would just say 'fair enough' and pull the plug on me!

2little2late
13-Jul-06, 22:10
One question to ask when you phone sky to cancel your subscription and they offer you 6 months at 75p or whatever per week.
"If you can afford to give me the same package at a cheaper price for 6 months then why can't you give me the package at this cheap price permanently?"

Sounds to me they are panicking and don't want to lose their custom baes.

engiebenjy
13-Jul-06, 23:41
I know of someone who hasn't paid full price for over 18months! I have to say that I did try it once, but they weren't for giving me anything, so I made on i'd changed my mind, and reduced it to the bare minimum of £10 per month.

Spirit
13-Jul-06, 23:58
I must admit that for the best part of the last 18 months I've not paid full subscription charges. Every so often I look at what i'm paying for and decide it's not worth it so phone to cancel. If their offering something which i find more responable then I'll take it, if not I'm sure I would be looking at freeview.
It's call competition. It's the same as mobile phone companies. ask to cancel your pay monthly mobile and they'll jump down your throat to offer you something better.

Tristan
14-Jul-06, 07:14
Cancelled sky and you get all the same channels as freeview apart from E4 and Sky Sports News:( all the rest seem to be the same

You should be able to get E4 and Sky Sports News.
As someone else asked Film 4 will be free too.
I would recommend upgrading your aerial. Had a good low signal aerial that was recommended for digital kept getting random breakup etc. I have upgraded to a 48 element aerial and the signal has been perfect ever since.

footie chick
14-Jul-06, 10:05
You should be able to get E4 and Sky Sports News.
As someone else asked Film 4 will be free too.
I would recommend upgrading your aerial. Had a good low signal aerial that was recommended for digital kept getting random breakup etc. I have upgraded to a 48 element aerial and the signal has been perfect ever since.

But I'm still using digi box and sky card will this work?

Tristan
14-Jul-06, 10:29
But I'm still using digi box and sky card will this work?
I believe freeview is freeview but I use a freeview box not a sky one
Different groups of channels are sent on different signals.
Depending where you are located the signal may not be strong enough, your antenna may not be aligned correctly ( 1 or 2 cm either way can make a difference for some of the channels), or you may need a bigger antenna

footie chick
14-Jul-06, 10:36
thanks for that might get a freeview box for kitchen once footie season starts miss sky sports news for results ;)

_Ju_
14-Jul-06, 13:59
I get along fine just with free-view. I look at sky packages and aside from being expensive, each package has a good channel in it accompanied by loads of rubish, so if you want movies, documentaries and child tv you have to buy 4/5 packages just for the 4/5 channels you would actually watch.

I was wondering if anyone has a free-view box with card for additional channels..... I would like to be able to watch discovery and national geografic, but firstly I don't have a free view box with a card and I am not sure they can be recieved up here....?

connieb19
16-Jul-06, 22:19
Why is it, that now I've given my 30 days notice to Sky, I've just started watching it? :confused :eek:

Blazing Sporrans
17-Jul-06, 12:26
Reading all this is food for thought. Here's me paying something like £53.50 per month (Sky multiroom package) for the privilege of keeping my family happy - plus I get the sports channels. Yet after buying an HD ready LCD TV, I phoned Sky to ask about the HD boxes, to find you have to pay for them AND pay another £10 subscription per month. That would be £762 per year if I did that! I'm happy enough with the picture I have at present, so why should I pay another £120 per year to watch the same thing in slightly better detail?

frank ward
17-Jul-06, 16:59
Yes it's true Film4 will be 'free' in a week or two, allowing us all to cancel the crap Sky Movies packages.
I've also has Sky packages including Sport at half price but they are still a waste of money. Only pressure from the kids has forced me to pay out each month.

Blurb:.....
"Channel 4's rebranded movie service, Film4, will make its free-to-air debut at 9pm on Sunday July 23 with a showing of Sophia Coppola's Oscar-winning drama Lost in Translation.
The channel, which was launched for subscribers in 1998, has secured carriage on all major digital television platforms, including BSkyB's Freesat and Freeview, where it will replace the paid-for FilmFour (which ceases transmission on July 19) and join Channel 4, More4 and E4.
To coincide with its relaunch, the movie service will have a new look but continue with its editorial policy of mixing popular features with less familiar ones. Six films will be shown each day between 3pm and 3am, and they will include recent, classic, cult and independent releases, with one in every four hailing from the UK.
Channel 4 estimates that Film4 will reach 18m households by the end of this year and that advertising revenues will soon exceed subscription income generated from subscribers.
Channel 4 director of TV Kevin Lygo said: "Channel 4's unrivalled reputation in film is built on almost a quarter of a century of showing and making quality films. We've made a significant contribution to broadening audience tastes and remain a major financier and producer of films and a showcase for the best of British and international cinema."

Fran
18-Jul-06, 00:42
i
I cancelled my basic sky package nearly a year ago and still get the same programmes through the sky dish for free, even though the sky card is now out of date. wish I had cancelled earlier.

Lucy
19-Jul-06, 08:14
Our sky dish is very old and probably about to fall off the wall, so we have decided to leave well alone for a couple of months and then put in freeview. the problem we have is that we have terrible reception and will need a powerfull ariel in the attic. looking at whats on offer i'm sure this will still be a lot cheaper than the £30 per month we are paying at the moment. i like to watch the Discovery channels so i will need a box with a card slot so i can pay to view these ones.