PDA

View Full Version : Job Experience

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 11:16
Hi there, i recently applied for a job in orkney as a waiter / bar person and have spoken to the hotel manager on the phone for a mere 5 minutes on saturday night which i presume was a very quick job interview, so they had to cut the call short and would get back to me again to further our call, so i have waited and waited and never heard anything until i checked my email lastnight and i was shocked at what i read in it, the details are below:-

Dear Billy,

It was good to speak with you. Unfortunately, we are looking for candidates with more experience. Nationality is not a problem, but the lapse in time from your last job is a bit too long.

Best of luck,

Mary

can anyone tell me how i havent got the experience even though i have worked and have done every job possible in a hotel?? or where can i get more experience if this place isnt willing to give me even a probationary period for the position?

Scarybiscuits03
01-Sep-10, 11:19
I would chase them up and ask for feedback. It is possible that maybe they have mixed you up with another candidate.

stekar
01-Sep-10, 11:27
but the lapse in time from your last job is a bit too long.

.....and it's only going to get bigger if no-one will give you the chance! Catch 22 eh?

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 11:28
aye well i feel i haven't been treated fairly with it all cause you cant tell someone they havent got enough experience even though i usually work with seasonal jobs and one of the places i worked was a 4* star hotel before so what more experience could they be looking for which beats me

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 11:38
well i still remember how to meet and greet guests and customers, i still know how to write on a piece of paper professionally to take orders, i know how to talk to guests and make them happy and enjoy themselves, i can still carry 4 plates of food at a time, i can also use a hoover to hoover the floor when everyone leaves, i'm still fast on my feet too and never once have i had any complaints from anyone throughout my working career, plus i'm only a ferry journey away from the job so i dont see any problems. i even went the length of sorting out accommodation if i needed it so that wasnt a problem, just my experience, god it makes me mad that i have been treated unfairly by this woman.

mrlennie
01-Sep-10, 11:42
To be honest mate if they are being weird already you are probably lucky to not get the job.

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 11:53
well i just feel that i have all this experience but nowhere seems to want to employ someone with my experience but i really think i might be too over qualified for the position anyway seeing as i have been a second chef, bar person, waiting staff, reception staff, maintinence man and what ever other job you can think of in a hotel maybe she doesnt want to admit it to me cause she hasn't replied to my return email that i sent to her, which wasnt a bad email either, nothing cheeky.

mrlennie
01-Sep-10, 11:55
You've got to bear in mind the economy and I imagine it has hit the industry hard. Maybe your right and you have a bit too many things going on. Maybe narrow it down to your best 3 jobs. I know I would take maintenance man off my C.V if I was you. That could say to a prospective employer you weren't good enough at your job so they bunged you on that.

Bobbin
01-Sep-10, 11:58
Have you got references from previous employers?

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 12:03
well i dont have that on my cv lol cause to me a good hotel shouldn't need a maintenance man thats if the hotel is any good, but hey i guess i may try else where for a job and try to make it look like i have got the experience somehow without telling lies.

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 12:06
i have got References and in todays world the references are not allowed to give anyone a bad reference from what i hear, but as for my references mine are excellent references, they wouldnt complain about them but i dont think they contacted my references cause they'd have given me excellent reports to prospective employers.

ele21
01-Sep-10, 12:17
I think you got a lucky escape they are not worth working for good luck hope you find a job soon

DeHaviLand
01-Sep-10, 12:32
well i still remember how to meet and greet guests and customers, i still know how to write on a piece of paper professionally to take orders, i know how to talk to guests and make them happy and enjoy themselves, i can still carry 4 plates of food at a time, i can also use a hoover to hoover the floor when everyone leaves, i'm still fast on my feet too and never once have i had any complaints from anyone throughout my working career, plus i'm only a ferry journey away from the job so i dont see any problems. i even went the length of sorting out accommodation if i needed it so that wasnt a problem, just my experience, god it makes me mad that i have been treated unfairly by this woman.

I bet she's really glad now she didnt give you the job! You havent been treated unfairly. You just lost out on a job position, It happens to far better people than you, and has happened to worse people that you too. It was a job vacancy, it was filled, you lost. Now stop whingeing about it and go find a better one!

BillyEspie
01-Sep-10, 13:25
nah i didnt lose out the hotel actually lost out and the position is still advertised and hasnt been filled either

Corrie 3
01-Sep-10, 13:33
nah i didnt lose out the hotel actually lost out and the position is still advertised and hasnt been filled either
Ring up again in a different name and tell a few porkies and see how you get on!!!

:roll::roll:

Anfield
01-Sep-10, 14:04
I bet she's really glad now she didnt give you the job! You havent been treated unfairly. You just lost out on a job position, It happens to far better people than you, and has happened to worse people that you too. It was a job vacancy, it was filled, you lost. Now stop whingeing about it and go find a better one!

A bit rich coming from a person who made the following post when binned by a previous employer:
"..After close on 7 years delivering to the good people of Caithness, (and some of the bad ones too) my employers, in their infinite wisdom (which they keep well hidden) have decided that Caithness no longer requires a professional delivery service, and have sub-contracted out the work to a more inferior company.."
(http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=97228)

ele21
01-Sep-10, 15:19
NICE ONE ANFIELD BET YOU SHUT DEHAVILAND UP GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIM FOR BEING RUDE AND GOBBY:lol:

EDDIE
01-Sep-10, 16:06

Billy why dont you phone them up and ask them if the position is still vacant and that u could easily come across in the boat for an interview and if you volunteer to come across it might indicate to them that your keen.

DeHaviLand
01-Sep-10, 16:24
A bit rich coming from a person who made the following post when binned by a previous employer:
"..After close on 7 years delivering to the good people of Caithness, (and some of the bad ones too) my employers, in their infinite wisdom (which they keep well hidden) have decided that Caithness no longer requires a professional delivery service, and have sub-contracted out the work to a more inferior company.." (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=97228)

I knew it wouldnt be long before you proved once again how idiotic you are! They didnt "bin" me you arse, they simply moved me out of Caithness. Once again, reading and comprehension are obviously not your strong point. In your case, care in the community obviously is not working. Back to my ignore list you troll.:roll:

Anfield
01-Sep-10, 16:43
I knew it wouldnt be long before you proved once again how idiotic you are! They didnt "bin" me you arse, they simply moved me out of Caithness. Once again, reading and comprehension are obviously not your strong point. In your case, care in the community obviously is not working. Back to my ignore list you troll.:roll:

Once again resort to bully type methods i.e. When you lose argument start name calling

golach
01-Sep-10, 16:50
Once again resort to bully type methods i.e. When you lose argument start name calling

Shot yourself in the foot once more anfield [lol]

Kevin Milkins
01-Sep-10, 16:55
I'm looking for a new job as well. I just quit the job I have been doing for the last seven years at the sperm dona clinic.

I just got fed up of seeing people come and go.:roll:

Sorry, a vain attempt to cheer folk up a bit.

tonkatojo
01-Sep-10, 18:33
I'm looking for a new job as well. I just quit the job I have been doing for the last seven years at the sperm dona clinic.

I just got fed up of seeing people come and go.:roll:

Sorry, a vain attempt to cheer folk up a bit.

Careful Kevin, I get warnings for the likes of this LOL.

Bazeye
01-Sep-10, 19:31
Careful Kevin, I get warnings for the likes of this LOL.

So did I and I only mentioned an article of jewellery that a lady would wear around her neck. :roll:

tonkatojo
01-Sep-10, 21:46
So did I and I only mentioned an article of jewellery that a lady would wear around her neck. :roll:

I guess it's a rule for some and not others, or is it we have had more than one warning ??.

Walter Ego
01-Sep-10, 22:40
"..After close on 7 years delivering to the good people of Caithness, (and some of the bad ones too) my employers, in their infinite wisdom (which they keep well hidden) have decided that Caithness no longer requires a professional delivery service, and have sub-contracted out the work to a more inferior company.." (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=97228)

Amazing what lengths some posters will go to to grind their own axe.

I'm not shure that you can see the difference between being laid off and not getting ajob in the first place, Anfield.

Have you ever had a job yourself or are you fully employed in slagging off those who you deem to be your 'enemies' online?

Dh's criticism was of his previous employers. Billyespies is regarding a position that they never got in the forst place.

No comparison.

Grow up, pilllock.

Anfield
02-Sep-10, 11:00
Dh's criticism was of his previous employers. Billyespies is regarding a position that they never got in the forst place.

No comparison.

Grow up, pilllock.

So, by posting ".. Now stop whingeing about it and go find a better one.." is different to DHL, whingeing about DHL dispensing of his services for deliveries to Caithness in which he said "..sub-contracted out the work to a more inferior company.."

Out of interest, his words "..a more inferior company.." suggests that his delivery service was "inferior" to start off with, so maybe that is why DHL got shut

squidge
02-Sep-10, 12:02
You needto have a thick skin to look for work. Its as simple as that. Sometimes having the right type of experience doesnt always mean that you are the right person for the job - other things wil be being considered - will you fit into a small team? Did you answer the questions properly and so on.

An example of this was a recruitment i was carrying out where one of the application form questions asked

"give an example of where you had to communicate difficult information to a group of people, say what you did, how you did it and what the outcome was"

The reply read "As a teacher i communcate with groups of people all the time"

The gentleman was sifted out before the interview stage and i received a very irate call from him which said that he couldnt understand why he hadnt been even considered for an interview and we must surely have made a mistake because he was well able to do the job we had advertised. I had to point out that to be asked to interview you had to meet the minimum requirement which was to answer the questions on the form fully as they were asked. He didnt do that so he didnt get an interview.

When applying for jobs i always take the view that i have to do the best i can at both application form and interview stage but that, nomatter how much i might do MY best there could be someone else who is better than me. Thats just it -moveon apply for another post and fingers crossed you willnot only DO the best but BE the best too.

DeHaviLand
02-Sep-10, 13:11
So, by posting ".. Now stop whingeing about it and go find a better one.." is different to DHL, whingeing about DHL dispensing of his services for deliveries to Caithness in which he said "..sub-contracted out the work to a more inferior company.."

Out of interest, his words "..a more inferior company.." suggests that his delivery service was "inferior" to start off with, so maybe that is why DHL got shut

Yes, its deep enough now. Throw that shovel up and I'll go get a ladder so you can climb back out.
You are a complete pillock. Your bigotry and hatred screams out of every post. I suggest you are just the sort of person that the world could well do without. you have no comprehension skills, no deductive skills, and absolutely no sense of perspective. You, in short, are nothing but a troll and an oxygen thief. Thankfully you are not representative of the people of Caithness, and a very poor advert for state education!

changilass
02-Sep-10, 13:29
There is definately a vacacy open here.

Anyone who wants it will will need a hard hat to avoid getting hit on the head by flying toys.

Anfield
02-Sep-10, 15:15
Yes, its deep enough now. Throw that shovel up and I'll go get a ladder so you can climb back out.
You are a complete pillock. Your bigotry and hatred screams out of every post. I suggest you are just the sort of person that the world could well do without. you have no comprehension skills, no deductive skills, and absolutely no sense of perspective. You, in short, are nothing but a troll and an oxygen thief. Thankfully you are not representative of the people of Caithness, and a very poor advert for state education!

As per post #20 above, if you can not win a debate by your arguments then revert to bully boy tactics and try personal abuse.

sandyr1
02-Sep-10, 15:31
[quote=squidge;755522]You needto have a thick skin to look for work. Its as simple as that. Sometimes having the right type of experience doesnt always mean that you are the right person for the job - other things wil be being considered - will you fit into a small team? Did you answer the questions properly and so on.

Yes so correct.. I left Scotland/England at the age of 26 to come to Canada. I did have experience in a certain field...good experience...but had to start at the 'bottom' the real Bottom...at minimum wage. And that was after being turned down by several employers....Be strong and don't let these small impediments get in your way....Attitude....You know you are Good, and Worthy of a position!

And to add from DeHav to Anfield...another word....Objectivity...

DeHaviLand
02-Sep-10, 15:32
As per post #20 above, if you can not win a debate by your arguments then revert to bully boy tactics and try personal abuse.

Please stop trolling, you are obviously unable to say anything remotely intelligent so it would be wiser to shut up. I, and no doubt many others, am extremely bored by you. No doubt you shall want the last word, as is the way of the dullard!

Anfield
02-Sep-10, 17:59
Please stop trolling, you are obviously unable to say anything remotely intelligent so it would be wiser to shut up. I, and no doubt many others, am extremely bored by you. No doubt you shall want the last word, as is the way of the dullard!

Oh dear, have you had another bad day at selling war paint & fancy dress to Phoney Soldiers?
Try a different type of blood pressure medication, you never know it might work.

Bazeye
02-Sep-10, 19:43
No doubt you shall want the last word, as is the way of the dullard!

So there........

BillyEspie
03-Sep-10, 02:37
Hey peeps, still no word from the hotel so i'm just gonna leave it that i am too qualified to work as a Waiter / Bar Staff even if they did say that i lacked in experience, if the truth be told i could probably run the hotel for them thats how much experience i have but its their choice at the end of the day, so i'll just keep looking for employment and hope that someone in their wisdom sees my potential and takes me on to work for them soon.

p.s. you's guys quit it with the bitching at each other please thanks, i only wrote on here as it is a place to write comments and its a forum not a childrens play ground

Bazeye
03-Sep-10, 09:38
Hey peeps, still no word from the hotel so i'm just gonna leave it that i am too qualified to work as a Waiter / Bar Staff even if they did say that i lacked in experience, if the truth be told i could probably run the hotel for them thats how much experience i have but its their choice at the end of the day, so i'll just keep looking for employment and hope that someone in their wisdom sees my potential and takes me on to work for them soon.

p.s. you's guys quit it with the bitching at each other please thanks, i only wrote on here as it is a place to write comments and its a forum not a childrens play ground

Maybe, with your qualifications and experience they feel "threatened" by you in some way. Not sure thats the right word, but you know what I mean.

BillyEspie
03-Sep-10, 19:27
Hmmmm Maybe its cause i'm originally fro N.Ireland Baz ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bazeye
03-Sep-10, 19:43
Oh well, no wonder you didnt get the job then.