PDA

View Full Version : Jack the Ripper - Thurso connection?

plasticjock
13-Jul-06, 18:11
With reference to the non-story in today's news that Jack the Ripper has finally(?) been identified through written marginelia, in a book given to Scotland Yard for their museum exhibition by relatives of Chief Inspector Donald Swanson (temporarily in charge of the investigation at the time)...can anyone confirm that Swanson, who was educated at the Miller Academy, Thurso before going on to university, was born to a wealthy farming family just outside Thurso?

rich
13-Jul-06, 18:36
The Ripper was never from Thurso!
Wick perhaps.....

Tristan
13-Jul-06, 19:38
I think it is Swanson that has the Thurso connection.

pultneytooner
13-Jul-06, 19:42
Swanson was born in thurso.

rich
13-Jul-06, 21:03
You are right of course. I read the piece too fast. But what a great idea, the Ripper hides out in Caithness!

plasticjock
15-Jul-06, 14:55
Swanson was born in thurso.

Thanks all, for replying.

What other famous Thursonians, famous outside Thurso that is, has there been over the years apart from Jock Campbell VC, Robert Dick and stretching the boundary a little, Alexander (Sandy) Bain?

scotsboy
15-Jul-06, 17:38
Sir William Smith - Founder of the Boys Brigade
Arthur St Clair - President of the United States in Congress Assembled.

Colin MacDonald
15-Jul-06, 19:53
With reference to the non-story in today's news that Jack the Ripper has finally(?) been identified through written marginelia, in a book given to Scotland Yard for their museum exhibition by relatives of Chief Inspector Donald Swanson (temporarily in charge of the investigation at the time)...can anyone confirm that Swanson, who was educated at the Miller Academy, Thurso before going on to university, was born to a wealthy farming family just outside Thurso?

The geography in this link is a bit confused..but he's the man!

http://www.casebook.org/police_officials/po-swan.html

plasticjock
15-Jul-06, 20:46
Sir William Smith - Founder of the Boys Brigade

Doh! Of course!...Pennyland Farm...how could I have missed that one.

Sir Archibald Sinclair: Secretary of State for Air 1940 - 1945.