PDA

View Full Version : Gaelic Place Names in Caithness

Kenneth
31-Aug-10, 22:15
Hello chaps

Could anyone inform me of some Gaelic place names in Caithness and their origin/what they mean?

Many thanks,

Ken

Scarybiscuits03
31-Aug-10, 22:29
I believe Caithness is not historically a Gaelic area so there are not many - Caithness is more of a Norse origin.........

Kenneth
31-Aug-10, 22:32
Yeah, wasnt too sure myself. Is Reay not Gaelic?

Anyway, there must be one or two out there!

golach
31-Aug-10, 22:32
Try here for some help Kenneth

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/

http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/

Kenneth
31-Aug-10, 22:35
thanks golach, much appreciated!

crayola
01-Sep-10, 00:12
There's Inbhir Ùige which means 'False name'.

sids
01-Sep-10, 07:51
I'd start by looking at a map.

Even Chance
01-Sep-10, 08:03
There's Inbhir Ùige which means 'False name'.

Nice one! The translation is near perfect;)

crayola
01-Sep-10, 12:08
Nice one! The translation is near perfect;)Thanks. I do my best. :)

I'm still waiting on the made-up names for Scrabster and Papigoe. :D

Kenneth
01-Sep-10, 14:16
Yeah - im not a fan of this Gaelic sign names myself but its for a teacher's project on the MOD! So let's not get into this argument again....

Even Chance
01-Sep-10, 14:49
There may be some names from the West of the County that are Gaelic in origin. Im sure Reay is definately one. There aint many though Im afraid. Ask the Council or John Rosie fae Thursa . Im sure they researched the place names for the "opposition" to Gaelic road signs.
Good luck.

domino
01-Sep-10, 19:50
look at an old map of latheron and you will see plenty. aelic was spoken there up until the 1800,s

Duncansby
02-Sep-10, 09:55
look at an old map of latheron and you will see plenty. aelic was spoken there up until the 1800,s

And for a whiley afterwards - quite a few families ended up on that stretch of coast after the Clearances. When I was researching my family tree, the families which had been cleared were still noted as speaking gaelic and english on the census by the late 19th century. Although I think it had been lost to my family by my great granny and grandad's time.