PDA

View Full Version : Riding on the roads

summer
30-Aug-10, 21:18
Given that there are no bridle paths around I'm assuming most folk have to ride on the roads. Does anybody else notice that drivers attitudes are getting worse?

I'm sure I never used to have any trouble in the good old days, but today I had at least 3 cars fly past on a single road inches away, one which threw stones up in it's wake, another blasted it's horn at us.

Do they not realise that if a horse lands on their car they'll suffer just as much as the horse and rider? I have seen a truck written off when the horse walked away with a few scratches. As it happens my horse doesn't really care what drives past him, but they don't know that.

On a brighter note a bus slowed right down to pass us, and a lorry, and a couple of cars stopped altogether to let us ride past. So thank you to those drivers.

divanp75
30-Aug-10, 21:28
There are riding routes around forests etc see http://www.crag-online.co.uk/ or go down the beach

In the winter the roads are not so bad :)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Aug-10, 22:03
On a brighter note a bus slowed right down to pass us, and a lorry, and a couple of cars stopped altogether to let us ride past. So thank you to those drivers.

Was it a lorry with hay on it ?? might have been hubby :-) he's well trained :-)

I'm lucky ive mainly had horses that don't mind traffic....although we did have a road explosion once with 4 year 17.2hh when a car had just overtaken us, a car behind us, a van coming towards us that was trying to overtake a cyclist - wheelie bins out and a hen ran on road....but to be fair the horse didn't know where to go and just bucked.... THAT was FUN!

But generally found vehicles around Groats to be on the large sympathetic!!

Dadie
30-Aug-10, 22:04
Think it depends on the drivers.
I always slow right down and pass horses wide and slow...dont want my car kicked!
Tourist season is still in full swing, but, I dont think they are all to blame:lol:
I would rather pass a horse and rider slow than be stuck behind a driver doing 40mph and not using the passing places!

mon867
31-Aug-10, 00:21
I would say the roads are getting busier meaning the odd few inconsiderate drivers seem to amount to more!
Generally most people are good with horses on the road I find, the bad ones stick in your head for longer though. The ignorant ones probably don't realise they could get seriously injured in their cars as the result of an accident with a horse. Their bodies are at the perfect height for coming in through the windscreen.
On the main roads even slowing down from 60 to 30 feels like a lot when you're driving but when you're riding and being driven past at 30 it feels like a hell of a speed.
Who knows what goes through folks heads when they feel they have to fly past or toot the horn. We just have to hope that each day we ride out that we will be safe and return in one piece.

horsegirl
31-Aug-10, 13:53
I have to agree that car drivers are taking less care on the roads. My sister had a experience yesterday with a truck passing her on the road when she was taking my daughter who is 4 a riding lesson. He was speading round a blind bend and came across my sister and daughter, did not slow down or stop to check that my daughter ok after he caused the horse to get a fright and jump. My daughter ended up on the road, Not hurt too bad i am glad to say. I do not normally let her out on the road but this horse has never put a food wrong to my daughter in the 3 1/2 year that she has been working with her. We all have right to be on the and if we all be arware the roads would be a lot more safer.

All they had to do was say sorry and hope that she was ok but no they just keep going. Grrr

cat
31-Aug-10, 16:43
thats awful![evil] i always tended to stay in the middle of the road so drivers have to slow down. now im too chicken to even do that! hope her scare doesnt put her off though:)

dancer
01-Sep-10, 16:08
If a car truck or any machine what is driven and they over take you and frighten the horse or pony you should take anote of the reg and report it to the police where and when it happened because in london the horse has the right of way . the horse was used as transport before the car lorry was invented if they did that in london the police soon have them for dangerous driver British Horse Society will tell you this

horsegirl
01-Sep-10, 18:43
We would of reported this to the police but my sister was too worried but my daughter to look at the car reg and when she thought bout that it was too late. I just hope that who ever it was feels really guilty. My daughter is fine and has been back on the horse since so thats all that matters but we will b watching incase he passes ours again and i will b waiting .

tonkatojo
01-Sep-10, 19:03
If a car truck or any machine what is driven and they over take you and frighten the horse or pony you should take anote of the reg and report it to the police where and when it happened because in london the horse has the right of way . the horse was used as transport before the car lorry was invented if they did that in london the police soon have them for dangerous driver British Horse Society will tell you this

I was driving a bus in a busy route in a town, I was at a bus stop and a horse and rider passed me, On pulling away I pulled over the other side of the road to pass this horse and rider very slowly and the horse went daft it chucked the rider off kicked out of the n/s of the bus and ran up the road with the rider in pursuit. The police were at the depot on my return, it was the local councillors daughter. Luckily it was a regular route of mine and I could name a lot of passenger on board to verify what happened. I wonder if she had to pay the damage to the bus, I never found out.:(

Jovi
01-Sep-10, 19:23
Hi Horsegirl,
sorry to hear of the bad experience your daughter,sister and pony had,hopefully no lasting damage to any of them. Before I moved here I rode on main roads every day and thought nothing of it,must admit I think twice about it now as even on the single track roads a lot of drivers show no consideration.I and my horse wear hi viz and I show consideration by pulling over for other road users and always nod or raise my hand in thanks but its often not an enjoyable experience,not helped by open ditches at the side of the road which is often your escape route or the only place to pull into when large vehicles are on the road. Most drivers slow and allow you space but there are others who seem to see passing at speed or as close as possible whilst revving a challenge. Theres room for everyone, it just takes common sense and a bit of patience..from us all.

donnick
01-Sep-10, 20:18
i must agree that a lot of driver do drive far too fast but i feel that if you wear a fluorescent tabard they seem to slow down better ,i also on the single track road stay in the middle until they are up my ass .its usually not the locals its the tourists

Skirza
01-Sep-10, 21:01
:lol: I used to work as a groom to a wonderful old girl who was heavily into carriage driving. Our daily route was round some wonderful Sussex lanes which were single track. You wouldn't believe how many motorists expected us to reverse with a carriage and pair to save them the bother of going back to the last passing place. My boss was wonderful..used to stand up in the carriage to her full 5' 11 and shout various abuse in her wonderful upper class accent until they reversed out of the way...all the while I was trying to be invisible and praying no one would get out of their car and confront us...she had a VERY long whip and I dread to think what she would have done with it !!

Dadie
02-Sep-10, 09:09
The flouroescent tabards would help!
The Lyth road was a bit misty last night while driving to mum and dads and we passed 3 dog walkers 2 were highly visable and one nearly blended in with the verge:eek:
2 people on horseback were not that visable in their dark sweatshirts took us a bit of argueing as we approached them to decide if it was 1 person or 2(I was right) and if they were further back nearer the bend wouldnt like to thing what could happen if they were not noticed by a driver!
It would have been nice if they stopped at the passing place instead of going past it as I crawled towards them!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
02-Sep-10, 18:51
I was driving a bus in a busy route in a town, I was at a bus stop and a horse and rider passed me, On pulling away I pulled over the other side of the road to pass this horse and rider very slowly and the horse went daft it chucked the rider off kicked out of the n/s of the bus and ran up the road with the rider in pursuit. The police were at the depot on my return, it was the local councillors daughter. Luckily it was a regular route of mine and I could name a lot of passenger on board to verify what happened. I wonder if she had to pay the damage to the bus, I never found out.:(

are you a bus driver in caithness??

Rode my mare from Groats to Canisbay today - was passed by several buses - allll very considerate....I think actually 6 times we were passed in various directions by buses.....

My mare is very canny and didn't blink an eye but i'm grateful for the consideration we were shown by the local bus drivers ......

After having read this thread I was thinking about it as I was riding and we were passed today over 60 times before I lost count....not once did I think anyone was anything other than sensible - well except one dude on his phone with an IBC tank half off his truck ...but he didn't bother the horse!!

tonkatojo
02-Sep-10, 19:54
are you a bus driver in caithness??

Rode my mare from Groats to Canisbay today - was passed by several buses - allll very considerate....I think actually 6 times we were passed in various directions by buses.....

My mare is very canny and didn't blink an eye but i'm grateful for the consideration we were shown by the local bus drivers ......

After having read this thread I was thinking about it as I was riding and we were passed today over 60 times before I lost count....not once did I think anyone was anything other than sensible - well except one dude on his phone with an IBC tank half off his truck ...but he didn't bother the horse!!

No I have never driven a bus this far north, it was a bus from Whitley Bay to Newcastle and it was roughly 36 years ago in the days when buses ran nearly full all the time, for those familiar with that area it was a firm called "United", happy days.
It's good there are still mostly good bus drivers about. :)