PDA

View Full Version : closed in fire

johnlc
30-Aug-10, 13:47
someone please help me out here

ok i have a closed in fire which has been cleaned out and started,i have it on the lowest it can go but yet it is still roaring and very hot in here and making my pipes rattle and go mental,sounds like the boiler is gona burst.Does anyone know what cld be wrong?

smiles
30-Aug-10, 13:55
We had the same problem turn all your radiators down

riggerboy
30-Aug-10, 13:56
open the door and down on the right hand side there should be a flap type damper, that is if the control is on the right, i think you ll fine that it is stuck open, flick it shut with yer finger

johnlc
30-Aug-10, 14:18
Thanxs for the replies,yes i have turned my radiators off completely.
Thats what i thot that maybe a bit of coal was stuck in the flap bit and thats why the fire was roaring but no the flap is closed so i have no idea what is wrong xxx

Kevin Milkins
30-Aug-10, 14:52
If it's a closed fire and it's roaring , even when it's closed right down then it sounds like the string seals are gone or perished and is still letting the air get in.
The heat centre in Wick (near to swimming pool) sells the seal string for most of the popular makes.

Is your central heating pump turned on?

annemarie482
30-Aug-10, 15:35
soak some towels and jam them under the edge of the door all round the bottom and over the vents at the top, will help suffocate it so you can get it checked out.
just remember to keep changing the towels as they dry though.

flowertot
30-Aug-10, 19:19
I used to have a similar fire and on one occasion the throat plate wasnt quite shut and fire was roaring. I was throwing coal on it like Casey Jones! Used to wedge the damper at the side closed as well especially whaen it was windy!

Bobbin
30-Aug-10, 19:21
I had this problem too, was okay once I got the chimney swept.