PDA

View Full Version : Who's Songs Have You Written?

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jul-06, 20:02
I'm sure we've all sat down and wrote, what we believe, is the best song or riff in the world. And it doesn't help when someone turns round and says "That sounds like (enter song name here) by (name band of your choosing) instead." But have you actually written a tune only to discover later on that some big, mainstream band has taken it for their own? If so, say so here. Better yet, if you have proof we could compile all our efforts and take the bigwigs to court. Any starters?

A close friend of mine 'wrote' what turned out to be Street Spirit by Radiohead, a full two years before the Oxford band did so themselves. Thing is, my pal can't stand Radiohead. Go figure.

Naefearjustbeer
12-Jul-06, 20:54
I scribbled fight for your right to party chorus line on a primary school jotter at least 2 years before the beastie boys came up with said track :lol:

Deemac
12-Jul-06, 23:16
I wrote "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" 15 years before Green Day did their version (I wrote the song/melody, James Sutherland (of Z-Rox) wrote the lyrics!!) Mine was a dance (in the Frankie goes to Hollywood production mold) mid 80's sort of thing . . . . . I did do a double take on Green Days lyrics which were scarrily close to James's in sentiment. (I decided going to court would only be a publiciy stunt and thrown out of court VERY quickly)

I can post a link if anyone's interested in a listen.

(Recorded by Tom Robertson at Sailing Shoes Studios, Thurso (Scapa - Thurso's only professional recording studio to date as far as I'm aware!!) - O those were the days . . . . .:eek:

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jul-06, 00:00
That's quite a story Deemac. I 'wrote' Living Colour's Glamour Boys, and the B-side to The Charlatans' The Only One I Know. Heady stuff, eh? By the way, if you have a recording of any Radio City (?) stuff, I'd be delighted to buy a copy off you.

Deemac
13-Jul-06, 00:21
Pepsi,
I only have the two tracks from the "Dance Hall daze" (the Raymond Henderson tribute tape/CD) "She's a Radio" & "Love and a Picture" (I believe also recorded by the fair hand of the a-fore-mentioned Mr. Robertson) . . A long-time-agooooooooo

Deemac
13-Jul-06, 00:37
That's quite a story Deemac. I 'wrote' Living Colour's Glamour Boys, and the B-side to The Charlatans' The Only One I Know. Heady stuff, eh? By the way, if you have a recording of any Radio City (?) stuff, I'd be delighted to buy a copy off you.

That sounds like a good royalty check once a year or so. !! Have your retired on the proceeds yet?

I think the trick these days, is to audition some vaugely good looking folks that can 'Strut their stuff' and 'sing-a-bit', parade them relentlessly on prime time television and the tabliod media (10 out of 10 on the emotion please!!), while the back room boys conncoct "A-Wonder-Hit", and sit back while the bucket-loads-of-cash flood in to your private Swiss bank account!!

- If only . . . .!!

- Isn't the modern music "industry" resourceful?:confused

DOC ROCK
13-Jul-06, 13:21
[quote=Deemac]I wrote "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" 15 years before Green Day did their version[quote]

That is a pretty sad story Deemac. It's a pity that you obviously never published this material. I have anticipated for some time now, the unscrupulous end of working within the music business,"being ripped off". Apart from the musicians union, MCPS and PRS orgs.I have made sure that all my material has been published one way or another, as well as having radio broadcasts all logged and recorded for any further evidence, if needed at any stage of my career. All my compositions for media sources are dealt with by the publishing companies to whom I am contracted with now. This is very important, as synchronization licences are further required before any client may broadcast such material on T.V.or film. i.e, No chance of being ripped off by any unsavoury characters.

Deemac
14-Jul-06, 19:53
DOC,
Yes, I does pay to have external agencies protect your interests. (They of course take a percentage for this fine service).

In my understanding, copyright law clearly states that ownership of ANY original material (be it musical, graphical, photographical etc.) is automatically granted to the originator of the work being produced. The tricky part is proving that you are the legal owner later if a conflict occurs.

My version of Bouelvard of broken dreams, although in essence and in sentiment similar to Green Days, the melody, lyrics and chord structure was different. I suppose with a song title like this, one would stand a fair chance of writing a song with similar end results. I have NO issue with what they did (I jested about going to court!!) I did get a phone call alerting me of its existance (I'm not very chart orientated musically).

All public broadcast channels are monitored 24/7 (afterall its in thier own cash making interests to collect for there clients)

I personnally don't think that I will retire on my own musical creative output, so don't worry too much about this aspect. I prefer just to concentrate on making the stuff.

Now if you ripped off my graphic work - that would be another issue I would take FAR more seriously. . . .[evil]

Naefearjustbeer
15-Jul-06, 08:56
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Boulevard-of-Broken-Dreams-lyrics-Hanoi-Rocks/3884EF6FB9DF340748256D30000BA431 It is not only Green Day that have a song with that title. Hanoi Rocks also had a song with that title. Not sure how similar they are to your version. But I would say that Hanoi Rocks were a lot earlier than Green Day.

DOC ROCK
15-Jul-06, 10:34
Now if you ripped off my graphic work - that would be another issue I would take FAR more seriously. . . .[evil]

Quite right Deemac..

DOC ROCK
15-Jul-06, 10:36
http:// It is not only Green Day that have a song with that title. Hanoi Rocks also had a song with that title. Not sure how similar they are to your version. But I would say that Hanoi Rocks were a lot earlier than Green Day.

Copyright law does not include song titles, or band names.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Jul-06, 17:58
Copyright law does not include song titles, or band names.

I'm afraid it does, mate, when you're talking about band names. I can think of two examples off the top of my head: Nirvana (60s band of the same name attempted to sue the Seattle trio after Nevermind was released); and Snow Patrol were forced to change their name from Polar Bear, as Eric Avery (formerly of Janes Addiction) had a band already working with the same name. It really all depends on who the successful business is first, I guess.

DOC ROCK
15-Jul-06, 21:02
I'm afraid it does, mate, when you're talking about band names. I can think of two examples off the top of my head: Nirvana (60s band of the same name attempted to sue the Seattle trio after Nevermind was released); and Snow Patrol were forced to change their name from Polar Bear, as Eric Avery (formerly of Janes Addiction) had a band already working with the same name. It really all depends on who the successful business is first, I guess.

Check this.
Passing off’ is a term used when a company or individual represents themselves in a way that may mislead potential customers into believing that they are dealing with a different, more established company.
If a competing company sets up with a similar or identical name to an establish company, or portrays themselves in a way that implies that they are associated with the established company, they may be guilty of passing off. The original company can take action to defend their identity.