PDA

View Full Version : Bad Lads Army

linzy222
09-Jul-04, 10:47
Did u watch it last night?

Well done to Mark Lamont (from Thurso)

Rather u than me, it looked scary, i couldn't of handled it!!

I'll b watching every week to see how he gets on

:eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes

lynne duncan
09-Jul-04, 10:59
I would like to see national service be reintroduced. what's eveyone else's views? Norway is one of the countries that still use it.

Jeid
09-Jul-04, 14:22
Pardon my french... but fudge that!

Donnie
09-Jul-04, 16:52
I would like to see national service be reintroduced. what's eveyone else's views? Norway is one of the countries that still use it.

Get real.

I saw it but didn't they call him James Lamont at one point? Was that a mistake or is it his middle name or something.

dirtyweeker
09-Jul-04, 17:07
I very much support national service being reintroduced. A lot of young men and women now end up on the dole or drugs at early ages. The services teach people self discipline and let people experience different cultures and life styles. Though you may not think it can certainly help people grow up.
However nowadays people, in this country have their right to choose, in most things. We now have a voluntary form of the national service in the form of the Territorial Army, Royal Naval Reserves etc. Although it doesn’t exactly get the numbers that the national service did there are people out there willing to do some service with these. Times are changing and people change with it.

Anonymous
09-Jul-04, 17:40
How would this national service be paid for?

And just exactly what benefits will be gained from this massive expense?

Will our national service work in the same way that it does in other countries in that if you can afford to, you can buy your way out of it? I can't imagine the sons and daughters of the wealthy being forced to endure 2 years of involuntary service.

JAWS
09-Jul-04, 22:21
I always understood National Service was universal. There wasn't a 'pay-up to get out' clause. I believe it could be defered for a couple of years for people with apprenticeships or university places, but only until such times as they were completed.
Perhaps somebody who did National Service could clear that up.

How much would it cost? How much does it cost society not to have it? Not all places are like the Towns in Caithness.
There are many places where people do not go out at nights for fear of being attacked, having their house burgled, their car stolen or broken into. Who puts a price on that?

Politicians are desparately looking for ways of halting the 'Yob Culture' and ways of stopping groups of youths hanging round certain areas causing problems for just about everybody in the area!

National Service would help break up the 'gangs' that youths seem to need around them and without who's back-up they can't exist.

Whilst the 'It's not fair' brigade protect them they will continue to behave as they are!

Come to think of it, dumping them in the centre of the Amazon Rainforest for a couple of years might be a better idea! That wouldn't cost very muuch and those that survived would be of use in studying tropical diseases!

DM
11-Jul-04, 19:52
Hmmmmm, National Service??

Isn't that just basically the idea of getting everybody into a militaristic chain of thought?

Respect those above you?? Is this the basis of a democracy? I think not! Isn't the younger generation there to question the actions of their elders? Isn't that the only way civilisation can move on??

Then again I'm sure some people are happy with the lives of the many being in the hands of the few......

The military is there to break people and build them back up in their own image.........(my opinion)

Controversial? Maybe......but I'd rather have the choice than be forced into a governmental brainwash!!

Ahhh can't wait to start work tomorrow :eek:

JAWS
11-Jul-04, 20:58
Turn on, Tune in. Drop put!
Wow Man, what a great idea, that's real cool!

Oh how I miss the certainty of youth.
"But I was so much older then - I'm younger than that now!" [lol] [lol] [lol] :eyes

Anonymous
12-Jul-04, 09:53
Turn on, Tune in. Drop put!
Wow Man, what a great idea, that's real cool!

And this is supposed to make what point?

Trying to suggest that anyone against national service is some kind of hippy?

I'm afraid thats more your generation than ours. In fact everything we have to put up with these days is a throwback to your generation isnt it? The sorry state that this country is in is due to your generation isn't it? No one of my age has reached the dizzying heights of top monkey, so we cant be to blame yet!!!

Are you trying to tell us that National service worked for your generation? Fixed all the problems of the country? Emptiied the jails of the criminal youth?

Personally I think that there should be an upper age limit on politics, no voting after say 65-70 and definately no political career after age 60. From my perspective the older generations have frittered away any hope that our generation might have had of a decent society to live in, they made the rules, they decided whats right and whats wrong and to be honest, havent they made a right pigs lug of it all.

Why not bring back stoning, or perhaps we can have public floggins on a Saturday afternoon down at the market cross, I'm sure that'll bring back a few jolly memories.

We can see in the pages of our history books that national service didnt change anything. We can see from other countries that national service doesn't change anything. We can see that there has to be another way that actually provides a solution. We can also see that we have to work out what the real problem is before we can apply a fix for it.

Simply blurting out the names of ancient solutions that obviously fell by the wayside because they didnt fix anything, shows a great lack imagination and memory. :roll:

scotsboy
12-Jul-04, 10:50
I think that you made the point yourself Niall, the generation that are in "charge" just now did not complete National Service either. A general drift to less social responsibility and respect for others is definately apparent in the UK today - I dont think it is all to do with National Service, and I think the days of the Boys Brigade and the Scouts are gone as well.
Not sure what countries in Europe still have National Service, I think Germany, Switzerland and Sweden do - it does not seem to do them any harm.
I myself am far too young to have participated in National Service, but I did leave home at 16 for a career at sea.
I dont think anyone is saying that National Service is a cure for the problems of society, but it could be used to benefit communities and install a sense of worth and belonging to those who participate.

JAWS
12-Jul-04, 14:52
Most of those in Parliament now were not even born in the days of the Hippies and how many of the present Government are anywhere near 60? The only thing Flower Power did for them was to give them Hay-fever!

At least the Hippies tried to change things even if they did make a complete mess of it.

In my days the punishments were fairly humane. What's wrong with Flogging Round The Fleet, Keel Hauling and Hanging from the Yard Arm. My Father spent many happy years in the Rowing Team. The only thing he objected to was the chains chafed his ankles and the noise of the drum gave him a headache!

Aye! The good old days were wonderful!

Bill Fernie
12-Jul-04, 19:10
I understand the man mentioned at the start of this thread is on the left in this picutre at Thurso gala on Saturday 10 July 2004
http://www.caithness.org/fpb/galas/thurso2004/photogallery/photos.htm?121?0

JAWS
12-Jul-04, 21:37
Glad to see he's not gone AWOL then. [lol]

highlander
13-Jul-04, 00:01
Bill i am so disappointed in you, to identify the person who started this thread, i thought the whole point of putting anonymous names was to be able to stay anonymous, and say what we feel and say without being identified. Bad lad! :~(

Bill Fernie
13-Jul-04, 01:02
I was not aware that the person who started the thread was the person. Most of the crowd in Sinclair Street seemed to know who was on that float when I was taking the pictures. Anonymous in Caithness?....Hmmm.

JAWS
13-Jul-04, 03:12
Help! I'm must be suffering from dementia.

I thought linzy222 started this thread and the man on the Float was Mark Lamont who had appeared in the TV Show which started the whole thing. (Not exactly the thing to do if you are to be Anonymous)

linzy222 appears to be from Castletown and says Mark is from Thurso.
The person on the Float, Mark, certainly does not (don't be offended anyone, please) appear to be a Young Lady whereas I would guess linzy222 is.

Can somebody help me out please or I will have to take two asprin, lie in a darked room and plead senility if interrogated. :eek:

brokencross
13-Jul-04, 08:45
I have a bad habit of "reading" a post quickly, then going straight to the keyboard to make a reply. Sometimes I have misread the post and have to edit my reply so as not to look a complete fool.

I think a case of misreading has taken place here, Bill Fernie said "I understand the man mentioned at the start of this thread is on the left in this picutre at Thurso gala on Saturday 10 July 2004"

The operative word being "mentioned" not the name of the person posting the thread.

Highlander must have my misreading disease. and Jaws can cancel their appointment at the doctors for dimentia. I read the post exactly the same way as them. Just a little mix up, methinks.

highlander
13-Jul-04, 23:07
I am so sorry bill for not reading what u said properly, once again the fingers moved faster than the brain, yes brokencross you were right, thank you for explaining so kindly what i did wrong (help, yes i do now feel a complete fool) i am scared to say anything else, as i think i have dug a deep enough hole for myself already! :~( :roll: :o)

golach
14-Jul-04, 07:50
Highlander,
never apologize, ye were just having a "Senior Moment", join the Club. How many of us can say we have not done similar, I cannot. :roll: [mad]

Golach

JAWS
14-Jul-04, 13:50
Welcome to the Club highlander. The holes I usually dig myself are normally JCB sized.

exiledtoedinburgh
04-Aug-04, 20:22
Did anyone see him win the cross country and then come out with the broadest Caithness accent ever when he was delighted to show off his shiney shilling of a prize? I'm proud even if he is a so called bad lad! And he was horrible to me in French at school too, all is forgiven!

linzy222
04-Aug-04, 23:10
Yeah i saw it as i have been watching every week, i think that is the most we have seen of him in last thursdays showing!

Does any1 know how many weeks it is on for yet?

I think it might b 4weeks yet but i'm not sure!

linzy222
28-Aug-04, 13:24
Oh well thursday night was the last night!!

I just wanted to say "Well done Mark"

It was a great programme!!

I think it is on ITV2 on thursday night this week called "Bad Lads ???( can't mind) at 9pm

It is then going to see the bad lads at their homes to see how they are getting on, but i doubt if they came up here!!