PDA

View Full Version : Are these weeds?

Gadgie
29-Aug-10, 16:13
Can anybody tell me if these are weeds? They are sprouting up all over my garden and I don't know whether to dig them up or not.

Thanks

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh284/gidgad/P1000175.jpg

changilass
29-Aug-10, 16:14
My definition of a weed is any plant that I either do not like or is in the wrong place.

If you like it leave it, if you don't get rid.

Beat Bug
29-Aug-10, 17:16
They aren't a weed in the same sense as dandelion etc. They're a wild flower, and I too have loads of it in my garden. Mainly on the lawn!

brandy
29-Aug-10, 17:21
i came home from holiday and my garden was full of them.. pulled right up..
weeds usually come up really easily as they are not deeply rooted. they are lovley on the side of the road but not in with my marigolds!

Taraxacum
30-Aug-10, 21:38
Your weed is a wild plant called Self-heal or Prunella. It used to be valued for medicinal properties but now it is just a weed! It seeds into lawns but it in not pernicious or difficult to eradicate. Just pull it up if you want to.

roadbowler
31-Aug-10, 09:57
prunella is one of the the more valuable herbs growing wild here in my opinion. i actually buy seed and actively encourage more of it to grow on my croft. same with sticky willie (clivers), yarrow, speedwell, red clover and eyebright. one persons weed is anothers delight i suppose!

Gadgie
31-Aug-10, 15:57
Thank you all for your responses! I may have some more pics to post as my garden is full of some dubious looking 'plants/weeds/wild flowers/herbs??'.

I spent a lot of time lately pulling out all the 'flower' heads off these massive bunches of things that just recently sprouted up. I was searching on the internet last night and discovered it was a proper flower called Ladys Mantle! Oops, mine looked awful though, not like the ones on the web.

Roadbowler, you are more than welcome to share in my abundance of 'herbs' if you like.

Scunner
31-Aug-10, 16:26
Lady's Mantle spreads like wildfire, seedlings pop up all over the place

steeko
04-Sep-10, 21:11
I hate Ladys Mantle, but I know there are lots of people who love it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.