PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting Windows XP?

KCI
12-Jul-06, 14:18
I am going to sell my pc, but I want to make sure I haven't left any personal details etc on it first.

What is the best way of clearing all cache/history/cookies - all internet and e-mail activity on the computer? Basically, I want to clear the whole pc, so there are no personal details left on it!

I'm using Windows XP, but I don't seem to have a disc or anything?

Any help will be much appreciated.

blueivy
12-Jul-06, 15:25
KCI,

If you're wanting to wipe your PC AND you don't have a Windows XP licence (ie. there are no licence stickers on the PC and you don't have the CD/licence) then you'll need to wipe the PC. You can't legally sell it on without the licence.

Easiest way to wipe your disks is to use the utility at this site:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

This will create a bootable CD or disk and you can just pop it in, start the machine, boot from the CD / disk and it will wipe ALL data from your hard disks.

KCI
12-Jul-06, 21:48
Thanks for that.

I had hoped to be able to sell the pc with Windows XP reinstalled........

Do you know if there is any other way to reinstall? I don't know why I don't have a Windows XP CD, but the company just never provided one, and I didn't think I would ever need it.

I need to get some money for the pc, so I can buy a new one....

Moonboots
13-Jul-06, 11:51
Thanks for that.

I had hoped to be able to sell the pc with Windows XP reinstalled........

Do you know if there is any other way to reinstall? I don't know why I don't have a Windows XP CD, but the company just never provided one, and I didn't think I would ever need it.

I need to get some money for the pc, so I can buy a new one....

Most companies dont send Windows Cd's with their machines but sometimes they provide a recovery disc. The main reason is that the companies want you to pay more money for the CD's if you call them for it.

Without a recovery cd or windows xp cd then im afraid you are at a no-win situation. I would just delete you history/cache etc from the PC and any other personal items like pictures...etc...

9 times out of 10 - people wont go round trying to find out what is on the machine. They are not going to get a program and recover all the deleted data just to have a nosey.

blueivy
13-Jul-06, 12:30
Hi KCI,

Without the actual licence and accopanying key there is no way to install. Remember than to own a copy of Windows XP (or any Windows product) you don't necessarily need a physical piece of paper or the physical CD. You need a licence. This comes in several differernt forms:
A physical piece of paper with the number on it (have only seen these for Windows ME and below, haven't seen one yet for XP but they may exist which is why I mention it).
A sticker on your PC with the licence number. Most of the larger manufacturers (Compaq, Dell etc.) have these stickers as it's much easier for them.
The CD you get from the manufacturer may have the licence built in (I have only heard about these and never seen one so it may be a porky - if you install Windows and it activates / registers itself as genuine then this may be what is happening).As Moonboots said, most PC manufacturers these days don't come with a CD for Windows, they come with a recovery CD. This recovery CD is Windows but a customised version of it that includes all the drivers you need for your machine and usually a bunch of their software (like a rebranded version of IE, tools to use them as your ISP, a help centre etc.). If you have this then that is a real Windows XP CD. However you may still need a licence (if option 3 above is not happening).

However I need to contradict what Moonboots says with regards to just selling it the way it is. Legally you can't do that. I do however live in the real world and know that selling the PC with the operating system on it goes on (a lot), however as a professional business who sells Microsoft software I can't sit here and tell you to go ahead and sell it anyway as it's not legal.

The only recourse you have is to take it up with whoever sold you the PC - if it's been a while they may tell you where to go. Other than that all I cna say is reformat and sell it without the operating system. If you think I can help in any other way, I will.

What kind of PC is it (ie. is it a custom built one or a manufactured one)?

scorrie
14-Jul-06, 13:26
I am going to sell my pc, but I want to make sure I haven't left any personal details etc on it first.

What is the best way of clearing all cache/history/cookies - all internet and e-mail activity on the computer? Basically, I want to clear the whole pc, so there are no personal details left on it!

I'm using Windows XP, but I don't seem to have a disc or anything?

Any help will be much appreciated.

A word of non-technical advice.

I see tons of PC's up for second-hand sale at ridiculous prices. You will need to be realistic about what to expect for your PC. People can get a pretty decent PC from somewhere like DELL for little over £300 and you need to be bearing that in mind when putting a value on your own PC. They will also get some sort of warranty with that and it is just a fact that anyone likely to be buying second-hand will be looking for rock-bottom prices. I would honestly state that nobody would think about buying a PC without Windows XP already installed, unless they were perhaps going to install a hooky copy!!