PDA

View Full Version : Did he make you laugh or cringe?

Sara Jevo
28-Aug-10, 21:43
Anyone go to the apprentices do at the Pentland Hotel last night?

Did you laugh or cringe at Jaimie Stone when he told his story about "poofters in caithness"?

scorrie
28-Aug-10, 22:32
Anyone go to the apprentices do at the Pentland Hotel last night?

Did you laugh or cringe at Jaimie Stone when he told his story about "poofters in caithness"?

Was it told from an autobiographical standpoint?

hunter
29-Aug-10, 12:43
I was there. Smiled at first, then cringed.

He'd gone to Dounreay to meet some workers during an election and been told to expect some tough questions about nuclear power. When this guy started to question him for his view, wanting to know what he was going to do about something, Jamie Stone interrupted and launched into an explanation about nuclear energy.

The guy chided him, saying he didn't care about nuclear energy, he wanted to know what he was going to do about all the poofters in Caithness.

It was pretty harmless I suppose though not the wisest thing for a member of parliament to make a joke about. What made me guffaw was the follow-up.

Jamie went on to say he told the same gag at an event in Wick where the audience was made up of visitors. It had gone down like a lead balloon. That was what made me cringe. He must have thought it so funny it was worth another airing, ignoring the stunned silence that greeted it first time. Most people expect politicians to be standing up to bigotry, not making a joke out of it. It made him look pretty silly to be honest buut he probably doesn't care now he's put his notice in.

Angel
29-Aug-10, 13:16
If you can remember to story/joke... let us know... then we can maybe comment as well...

Angel...

Sara Jevo
29-Aug-10, 13:32
If you can remember to story/joke... let us know... then we can maybe comment as well...

Angel...

Hunter summed it up really.

The whole event seemed a bit tastless. Lots of smutty innuendo about the sexuality of young men. Add in Jamie Stone's yarn and you get the impression of a workplace stuck in the 1970s.

crayola
29-Aug-10, 13:39
The whole event seemed a bit tastless. Lots of smutty innuendo about the sexuality of young men. Add in Jamie Stone's yarn and you get the impression of a workplace stuck in the 1970s.
It sounds like JS was trying to be 'one of the lads' and not the man who spent £88,000 on a reception desk at Holyrood.

Rheghead
29-Aug-10, 14:17
It sounds like JS was trying to be 'one of the lads' and not the man who spent £88,000 on a reception desk at Holyrood.

Yeah he even asked for a receipt for a Caithness Courier in a local shop.

Asking for a receipt for a 67p purchase so he could claim back on expenses for goodness sake!! :roll:

If he is doing that then he must have copied that example from the rest of the lib dem lot

Kirdon
29-Aug-10, 14:37

C'mon get a life, sounds like a varied selection of people having a harmless laugh while celebrating the achievments of a now highly skilled and proud group of young men. JS's joke was more against the "guy" who questioned him than it was against homosexuals. From what I heard there was a lot of laughter and smiles all round.

hunter
29-Aug-10, 16:55
I can see where both Sara Jevo and Kirdon are coming from with this one.

I agree with Kirdon about the Jamie Stone joke. It said more about the neanderthal man at Dounreay than it did about the MSP. But whichever way you look at it, it doesn't reflect well on either Dounreay or Jamie Stone, so not a very wise choice for him.

The rest of the humour was exactly what you would find on a night out by a group of lads celebrating their well deserved success, as Kirdon says. Sara's point, I think, is that this wasn't a lads night out - it was an official ceremony of the UK Atomic Energy Authority and perhaps not the sort of thing you'd expect to hear at one of those.

The thing is employers nowadays are under all sorts of obligations to crack down on any practices or behaviours within their organisations that would give to rise discrimination on grounds of sex, gender, disability race etc. Elevating the "banter" of the shopfloor to the platform of an official function seems a bit misguided. It suggests to Sara there is a culture that finds humour in mocking anything that's not the stereotype of white, heterosexual, anglo-saxon man - homosexuality, transgender etc. I've some sympathy with that - the only thing missing from the other night was jokes about "cripples" and "P*kis" and you'd be forgiven for thinking you were at a police xmas party in 1976.

Oystercatcher
29-Aug-10, 17:06

Have to say that my two years in apprentice training revolved quite a lot around smutty innuendo, lots of un-PC comments, posters slagging each other off etc. That's life as an apprentice, you didn't mind your Ps and Qs there! When moving on to the various placements around site, it didn't get any better. In most places smut was everywhere and by crikey, the crack was good!

I can see the point about Jamie Stone maybe making a faux pas or two but there again he was at an apprentices' do and not black tie do with toffs. When in Rome and all that....................

Angel
29-Aug-10, 21:11
Maybe we can say some un-PC things about Jamie Stone... For a laught that is!

Angel...

Aaldtimer
30-Aug-10, 03:43
[quote=hunter;754136]I agree with Kirdon about the Jamie Stone joke. It said more about the neanderthal man at Dounreay than it did about the MSP. But whichever way you look at it, it doesn't reflect well on either Dounreay or Jamie Stone, so not a very wise choice for him.

Just what Neanderthal Man was that at Dounreay? I worked there for 25 years and never came across him!:confused

hunter
30-Aug-10, 06:45
[quote=hunter;754136]I agree with Kirdon about the Jamie Stone joke. It said more about the neanderthal man at Dounreay than it did about the MSP. But whichever way you look at it, it doesn't reflect well on either Dounreay or Jamie Stone, so not a very wise choice for him.

Just what Neanderthal Man was that at Dounreay? I worked there for 25 years and never came across him!:confused

His name was Sinclair and he came from Keiss, according to Jamie Stone.

sids
30-Aug-10, 07:48

He was in the Caves.

I'm here all week, folks!

SuzieTee
30-Aug-10, 09:03

And were you one of the young ladies in a skirt so short you were practically showing your knickers?

hoopy1406
02-Sep-10, 10:56
And were you one of the young ladies in a skirt so short you were practically showing your knickers?

Ok, i think this is getting slightly personal. Having been at the indentures myself, that comment is clearly an attack on the women wearing dresses and skirts which were the newly qualified tradesmen's mothers and also their girlfriends.
I thought that this thread was about Jamie Stone, I didn't think it was as big of a deal that it should be written about on Caithness.Org - yes, his appearance was professional but if anyone else commenting on this who had been there would agree that the whole evening is full of light hearted humour reflecting on the tradesmen's last 4 years and memorable moments throughout, so why shouldnt JS be allowed to join in. Had he scoffed at it he'd be getting slagged off for being 'boring' - no?

Angel
02-Sep-10, 23:15
No it wasn't Sara SuzieTee. That was me, why?

Angel...

hunter
03-Sep-10, 20:02
double post

hunter
03-Sep-10, 20:03
Nice video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYC93M-HXmU) on You Tube

Nothing wrong with the hem lines here!

crayola
03-Sep-10, 21:25
I wasn't there but if I had been there I would have been the one in a short skirt. ;)

Nice video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYC93M-HXmU) on You Tube

Nothing wrong with the hem lines here!
Thanks for posting the link. This ould Caithness quine got fair emotional watching that, especially at the end. And well done to the young loon that announced the gifts for speaking in public without notes. His elders should learn from him.

Jamie Stone's bit was appropriate there was it not?

A couple of things bothered me though............

If Simon Middlemas is director of Dounreay and he lives in our county, why can't he pronounce it? :confused

And why are all these young loons and lassies in dentures? Do they not brush their teeth before they go to their beds? :confused