PDA

View Full Version : build your own car

mrlennie
28-Aug-10, 17:46
Just wondering does anyone know how much can you modify a car before it is un roadworthy i.e can you make a ford fiesta look like an F1 car or will it fail its mot because of having only 1 seat.no windows etc or can you modify a scooter say put a 3rd wheel on and wheres the regulations to do with it?

manloveswife
28-Aug-10, 18:07
DVLA operates a point scoring system to determine if a vehicle is actually that vehicle or not. Engine change is 1 point, engine and box I think 3, axles are scored and some other bits and pieces.

A new monocoque body shell or even a chassis on its own can lose you the registration number, unless it has been supplied new with paperwork to support and is the same as the original.

So highly modified vehicles will generally end up on a Q plate, and will require a SVA / ESVA test to show fitness for road as they are not type approved.

I think that covers the basics, have a search for DVLA and modified vehicles, I recall the DVLA website has the relevent info.

mrlennie
28-Aug-10, 18:09
great stuff thanks manloveswife

Phill
28-Aug-10, 18:10
Start by looking here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022486

You really need to check it all out before you start.
Several pitfalls include inspections which could cost you £££'s, your car on a Q plate, invalid insurance and your safety.

Also I understand the polis are very hot on pulling things that don't quite match up to the reg / year. This is from a Land Rover thread elsewhere where people have rebuilt a truck (as I am doing) so may not directly apply.

But then if your bumbling round in a fiesty looking like an F1 then I guess you'll get nobbled pretty quick!
:lol:

grumpyhippo
29-Aug-10, 19:56
If this can be road legal then anythings possible, just throw a bit of cash at the project........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgtelaMqb_8

George Brims
30-Aug-10, 19:39
Well compared to that thing, a "Smart" car is just much the same but with a windscreen and doors.