PDA

View Full Version : Yardbirds

stewart4364
28-Aug-10, 16:38
Does anyone remember the Yardbirds signing autographs in the music shop in Wick in 1965? They then played at the Assembly Rooms in the evening. Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck and someone else whose name I have forgotten were present. I wonder what has happened them now!!!!!!!!

Gleber2
28-Aug-10, 17:31
Does anyone remember the Yardbirds signing autographs in the music shop in Wick in 1965? They then played at the Assembly Rooms in the evening. Eric Clapton , Jeff Beck and someone else whose name I have forgotten were present. I wonder what has happened them now!!!!!!!!
Jeff Beck was the guitarist. Clapton was not there but Jimmy Page was the roadie. How do I know? I was in the support band, The Aktual Fakts.
The bass player is now a record producer, the singer is dead and, as far as I know the other two are still playing, Chris Dreja and Jim Macartney.
Amazing music.

Betty
29-Aug-10, 03:33

I was at the Assembly Rooms. The date was May 24, 1965 - a Monday.
Don't remember the autograph signing at The Music Shop, although I worked close by.

Gleber2
29-Aug-10, 04:59
I was at the Assembly Rooms. The date was May 24, 1965 - a Monday.
Don't remember the autograph signing at The Music Shop, although I worked close by.
Are you sure about the date? I'm pretty sure it was a Thursday.

Betty
29-Aug-10, 05:40
I was not absolutely certain about the date being correct (could my diary be wrong). After all, that's a long time ago! However, I found confirmation in the Highland Archives - Northlands Rock: Part Four - The Beat Goes On. I'm sure you are familiar with the history given there.
This was taken from there - 'Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page were three acclaimed guitarists who cut their teeth with The Yardbirds, one of the most influential and innovative British groups of the 1960s. On the afternoon of Monday, May 24th, 1965 The Yardbirds, with guitar hero Jeff Beck, were signing copies of their latest release For Your Love in Wick's Music Shop. That evening they were on the Assembly Rooms stage, supported by The Aktual Fakts.'
I was a bit surprised it was a Monday - not the usual day for the Assembly Rooms.

ks
29-Aug-10, 09:19
They were discussing that on the radio, I think Bbc Scotland, yesterday. A bit before my time though!

Gleber2
29-Aug-10, 13:15
I was not absolutely certain about the date being correct (could my diary be wrong). After all, that's a long time ago! However, I found confirmation in the Highland Archives - Northlands Rock: Part Four - The Beat Goes On. I'm sure you are familiar with the history given there.
This was taken from there - 'Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page were three acclaimed guitarists who cut their teeth with The Yardbirds, one of the most influential and innovative British groups of the 1960s. On the afternoon of Monday, May 24th, 1965 The Yardbirds, with guitar hero Jeff Beck, were signing copies of their latest release For Your Love in Wick's Music Shop. That evening they were on the Assembly Rooms stage, supported by The Aktual Fakts.'
I was a bit surprised it was a Monday - not the usual day for the Assembly Rooms.
A lot of the information in that article was supplied by me and I am almost cerain it was a Thursday. I will check further. The yardbirds pulled in 500 folk but the Maurice Lynch Showband pulled in 1200 one week later.

Blarney
29-Aug-10, 13:42
Incredible! I think that the Maurice Lynch Showband generated mass hysteria in Caithness around that time and they were the sole topic of conversation at work and school in the run-up to the event. I wasn't old enough to have heard them but I believe that it was the highlight of the year for some. Glad to see that the musical tastes in the county have improved over time[lol]