PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic dog with cataracts

kmahon2001
26-Aug-10, 20:40
My little dog was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year and as a result of that condition he developed cataracts. These developed really quickly and in the space of less than a month he has gone almost completely blind.

He has gone from a really lively happy little dog, who was always running around and getting into mischief, to one who moves around very cautiously and is very quiet most of the time. He just seems spend his days lying around waiting for something to happen, like mealtimes, or walkies etc.

I feel I need to do something to stimulate his interest in life again, but all the toys he used to love to play with don't seem to interest him much any more.

Does anyone else have any experience with this and have any suggestions of how to stimulate a newly blind dog's interest? Any advice would be very welcome because I hate to see him so quiet - it's hard to put into words, but it's just not right for him.

teenybash
26-Aug-10, 20:59
I am so very sorry to hear of your little dog, now blind. I don't have personal experience, but I would think it will take time for him to adjust to his new world without sight. his other senses should increase and you might help him along with stimulating him with sound......new noisy toys that you can play with together might be a start.
I do remember, many years ago a beautiful Alsation who lost his sight completely, in a fire and his owner found him a little friend. The little doggy and the big fella initially were walked on a double leash, round and round the garden and in and out of the house and with the passing of time the Alsation came to trust his little mate and followed happily where ever he went. It was a joy to watch them play together, eat together and sleep together. They lived out their days side by side and never more than a few feet apart. It got to the stage that strangers never guessed the big chap was totally blind......:)

Tumbledown
26-Aug-10, 22:45
I had a Lhasa Apso named Rosie and was so upset when I found out she was diabetic with thyroid problems at age 10. She went blind overnight when she had a sickness bug and seemed very down to start with but she soon learnt exactly where the furniture was and would walk so many steps and then stop and turn and then move on again. I had another dog and he must have realised she had gone blind suddenly and he stopped and nudged her and she followed him around for a short while. She soon became the samemischeavious dog she always was and could still manage to find things she shouldn't have and try and eat the other dogs food and cat food. She still loved her life and was always wagging her tail. I am sure your little dog will get used to being blind and still enjoy life.

kmahon2001
27-Aug-10, 13:16
I am so very sorry to hear of your little dog, now blind. I don't have personal experience, but I would think it will take time for him to adjust to his new world without sight. his other senses should increase and you might help him along with stimulating him with sound......new noisy toys that you can play with together might be a start.
I do remember, many years ago a beautiful Alsation who lost his sight completely, in a fire and his owner found him a little friend. The little doggy and the big fella initially were walked on a double leash, round and round the garden and in and out of the house and with the passing of time the Alsation came to trust his little mate and followed happily where ever he went. It was a joy to watch them play together, eat together and sleep together. They lived out their days side by side and never more than a few feet apart. It got to the stage that strangers never guessed the big chap was totally blind......:)

Thank you for your suggestions. I have got another dog, a greyhound, but she isn't at all interested in the little fella and she gets irritated with him if he knocks into her because he can't see her standing in his way. And if she wants to get passed him she just barges him out the way without so much as a "by-your-leave"! This doesn't exactly help the little one's confidence so I'm not sure if it will ever get to the point that the greyhound helps the little one find his way around - we'll just have to see how things go.

Good idea about the toys - the toys he's got at the moment do make a noise when they're squeezed, but try rolling them down the garden and they don't make any noise, particularly on the lawn. I think I need to find some toys that jingle or squeak or whatever just by being rolled along, then he could chase them round the garden - which was always one of his favourite games. He also used to like to throw the toys around himself indoors and jump on them, this he doesn't seem interested in any more, but maybe if the toys made a noise just because he nudges them, he might be a bit more interested.

Hogfather
27-Aug-10, 13:36
Is he a foodie? Does he have a good nose? Might he be interested in one of those toys you stuff biscuits and similar in and the dog has to roll it around to get them out? I used to know a blind dog who would happily hunt for food in the grass, and was very good at walking with you, as long as you kept talking:) Guess it will take a few weeks for your little guy to get used to knowing where everything is without seeing it - must be difficult to keep bashing in to things!

kmahon2001
27-Aug-10, 15:45
I had a Lhasa Apso named Rosie and was so upset when I found out she was diabetic with thyroid problems at age 10. She went blind overnight when she had a sickness bug and seemed very down to start with but she soon learnt exactly where the furniture was and would walk so many steps and then stop and turn and then move on again. I had another dog and he must have realised she had gone blind suddenly and he stopped and nudged her and she followed him around for a short while. She soon became the samemischeavious dog she always was and could still manage to find things she shouldn't have and try and eat the other dogs food and cat food. She still loved her life and was always wagging her tail. I am sure your little dog will get used to being blind and still enjoy life.

It must have been really hard adjusting to such a sudden loss of sight. It's been hard enough with my little one's sight going over the space of a few weeks. My boy does seem very low sometimes, and is very confused most of the time. It's difficult to see him so unsure. I was told that most of the time dogs cope really well with going blind (after an initial adjustment period of course) but it's the owners who have a harder time with it and I think I'm living proof of that being true! I'm glad to hear that your girl got back her love of life (and particularly her love of everyone else's food :D) after a while.

kmahon2001
27-Aug-10, 16:05
Is he a foodie? Does he have a good nose? Might he be interested in one of those toys you stuff biscuits and similar in and the dog has to roll it around to get them out? I used to know a blind dog who would happily hunt for food in the grass, and was very good at walking with you, as long as you kept talking:) Guess it will take a few weeks for your little guy to get used to knowing where everything is without seeing it - must be difficult to keep bashing in to things!

He is a foodie and those kinds of toys would be an excellent idea but sadly, because he's diabetic, he's not allowed treats between mealtimes.

I find he has trouble walking in a straight line - he's always mistaking which direction he's facing in, or wandering off at a tangent and consequently walking into the wall, or a door, table, chair, my greyhound etc. I keep talking to him when we are out for a walk, and I am trying to train him to "step up" or "step down" on instruction, so that he doesn't trip over the curbs, and I say "careful" if he's about to bump into a tree or fence or whatever. He's gradually getting used to it and I am hopeful he will eventually learn where most of the obstacles are on his own. He's such a brave little chap and I'm really proud of him, I just wish I could help him get his enjoyment in life back - life is such a serious business for him at the moment and it should never be like that for any dog.:~(

teenybash
28-Aug-10, 13:42
Please keep us posted of your wee fellas progress.....I am sure you are right it is we owners who have the hardest time.
I am sure he will manage his blindness and in a little while will be back enjoying life. He probably still does, but is concentrating on using his ears, sense of smell and even touch in a way he has never had to in the past.
My old lady who is 15yrs is deaf and the sight isn't great either.....so I do a lot of waving to attract her attention. the best is during the dark evenings, when she is out for a wander round the garden and I want her to come in......How do you call a deaf dog?.....Flash the torch is the answer....:D