PDA

View Full Version : Bremners

Samulayo
26-Aug-10, 13:19
I'm trying to trace some of the more recent family history, which will hopefully lead me further. I'm stuck at my grandfathers generation!

William Mowat Bremner (1924 - 1999) had several brothers and sisters, the eldest brother being Alexander (Sandy, 1922 - 1976 ish) I believe there was a James, Donald (who was deaf and dumb?), Margaret, and another sister.

William Mowat Bremner married Ethel Hendry Robson around 1956, they had a son and daughter that I know of, William Mowat Bremner (my father, 1958 - 1998) and Christine Alex~ (1957 ish - present) These were located around Huntly.

Sandy inherited the family farm, possibly in Olgrinbeg when their father died. This is the first link i'm trying to track. Sandy married Morag Macdonald, they had one daughter, I believe called Gail possibly born around 1957. Morag sold the farm after Sandy's death, in 1976.

I have tried using the brebner website, but there doesnt appear to be any genealogy pages for this branch of the family. I'm left with mostly large amounts of speculation.

If anyone has any information, i'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

Martin Bremner

Bill Mackay
29-Aug-10, 10:27
Hi Martin,

I have been asked by a friend who cannot, for some reason get logged on (he has reported it), to pass on his e-mail address as he may be able to help you.

Contact John - john.mowatt@bigpond.com

Bill

Samulayo
29-Aug-10, 17:24
Hi Bill,

Thank you for passing that on. I'll fire off a quick email now!

Martin

Samulayo
22-Sep-10, 13:43
So far i've traced my great-great-grandfather, but am once again stuck. If anyone has any information that would be great!

Alexander Bremner, born 1877, Married Margaret Harper in 1895. According to the birth record, his Father was also called Alexander Bremner, and his Mother was Margaret Sutherland. At the time of his birth, they were not married.

Alexander might have been a fisherman, and Margaret might have been a farm servant, although trying to read the 'ye olde' handwriting is difficult!

I have found an Alexander Bremner on the 1881 census which could be my g-g-grandfather. He is the only Bremner in a household of Sutherlands, although Margaret does not appear on it. Alexander is listed as 'GSon', which I would guess refers to Grandson, rather than Godson? I do not know if this is the correct association or not, it is purely speculation.

Thanks in advance, for any information at all!

spittalhill
22-Sep-10, 14:04
Have you checked out www.brebner.com. It is a very comprehensive Brebner/Bremner genealogy site, with particular reference to Caithness and Aberdeenshire.

Samulayo
23-Sep-10, 10:34
I have used the Brebner website as extensively as I can. The relationship between Alexander Bremner and Margaret Sutherland doesnt exist there, as it appears they did not marry (Alexander, b. 1877, is listed as illegitimate on his birth record)

spittalhill
23-Sep-10, 13:41
The Brebner site has monumental inscriptions from Halkirk Churchyard, of several Bremners from Olgrinbeg, including your Sandy.

Samulayo
23-Sep-10, 13:45
I have been through them as best as I can. I'm looking for information on Sandy's great-grandfather, also called Alexander, and the woman (Margaret Sutherland) who birthed him a child (this would be Sandy's grand-father) :)

GrannyMags
23-Sep-10, 20:51
im the daughter of margaret you are looking for give more detail of who u ars at mags_mental@hotmail.co.uk