PDA

View Full Version : Was there snow last year ?

samf1971
25-Aug-10, 15:17
Just wondering did Caithness and particular here in Wick get any bad snow last year and how bad was it ?
I noticed the snow poles as we came up the A9. Does it really get cut off and shut?

Even Chance
25-Aug-10, 15:20
Yeah, real bad. Nothing gets in or out for months at a time from Wick in the winter.;)

Nah. It used to be bad, but not so much any more. Mind you, I'd tackle most snowy driving conditions. I love getting stuck and having to dig yer way oot! It makes my winter complete!:)

Dadie
25-Aug-10, 15:24
There was snow!
And ice.
And the road to Inverness was pretty bad.
We travelled down before Christmas to Raigmore and were down to 30mph for a good part of the journey down..and the same on the way home due to ice and freezing fog.
Over christmas and new year...new years day the ambulance got turned back at helmsdale...
Schools were sent home early and were off for a few days and I think dounreay staff got home one day...

samf1971
25-Aug-10, 15:42
My god dont tell me this im going to freeze to death,hubbys lost nearly 5 stone in weight due to illness and he says hes never been so cold.

Even Chance
25-Aug-10, 15:46
The temp display on my car did show minus 16 deg C or so a few mornings last winter on the way to work. It was one of the coldest winters I can remember.
You will get used to it eventually.

samf1971
25-Aug-10, 15:49
-16 !!!! my other halfs daughter was right then as she went to Fortrose academy in Inverness last year and told me it was that cold ! When did the snow actually come ?

Dadie
25-Aug-10, 15:52
It was a bad winter last year all over but we were not hit as hard with the snow as Aberdeenshire etc..
I was a bit sensitive to the weather situation on the run up to Christmas and new year due to being due with Euan on the 5th of Jan...he arrived on the 1st and we crawled through to Wick at under 30mph because the roads were black ice/ice/and bog standard hail:eek:
It hadnt been as bad as last year for ages though!
The snow arrived about 1/2 way through December and lasted into the new year!
We had the car temp display down to -24!

Even Chance
25-Aug-10, 16:01
Caithness generally isn't too bad for snow, so dont worry. Just wait and see what happens.

Just forget about it at the moment and enjoy the summer heatwave we are experiencing!

samf1971
25-Aug-10, 16:03
oh i will ...though hubby is sat here everyday with about 9 layers of clothes on looking like nanuck of the north!

_Ju_
25-Aug-10, 16:04
I've been here going on 9 winters now and have always found Inverness and dingwall to be colder than Wick on the same day ( I fairly frequently had to travel down there to work for a day).
Last winter had the most snow since I moved here.

samf1971
25-Aug-10, 16:10
Im emigrating! And theres me thinking Caithness had an almost gulf stream climate !

Kenn
25-Aug-10, 18:19
It does,but you are on the wrong side of the county to benefit.

Blame the last bad winter on me, moved up last September and although it was white on and off for weeks, found no real problems appart from when on a photo safari, I got out of the car and it came over the top of my boots!

Best move we ever made despite what nature has thrown at us.

billmoseley
25-Aug-10, 18:49
maybe its all us incomers that making the weather worse? trying to drive us away lololol

puffin croft
25-Aug-10, 19:12
let it snow,let it snow,let it snow.......