PDA

View Full Version : I have a big lump on my gum - help!!

RockChick84
11-Jul-06, 13:17
I thought I felt something swollen in my mouth and just looked and theres a huge lump bulging on my gum and my face looks swollen. What is it? I've never had this before. I have had teethache but can't get an appointment.

pink
11-Jul-06, 13:18
Go to the doctor !

rangers1873
11-Jul-06, 13:22
it sounds to me like you have a absess,is it really sore when you eat.

pultneytooner
11-Jul-06, 13:25
it sounds to me like you have a absess,is it really sore when you eat.
Sounds like that to me aswell.

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:29
Get to the dentist or doctor for some antibiotics, it will only get worse if not. :(

ice box
11-Jul-06, 13:34
yes get it seen to i had it face like a football and the pain unbelievable had to wait three days to see the dentist and the another 24 hr for the antibiotic to work .

RockChick84
11-Jul-06, 13:36
It does hurt when I eat. I will have to go to the doctors because it does hurt a lot. It shows how bad it's gotten when I've got an abcess now. I just couldn't get an appointment.

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:39
My cat had an abcess on her gum, when I gave her the antibiotics, it burst through her cheek, the smell was unbelievable, enough to make you sick..YUK!![disgust]

pultneytooner
11-Jul-06, 13:41
My cat had an abcess on her gum, when I gave her the antibiotics, it burst through her cheek, the smell was unbelievable, enough to make you sick..YUK!![disgust]
Thanks for the mental polaroid, connie.http://www.ukbandmates.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/roflgif.gif

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:44
Thanks for the mental polaroid, connie. [lol]it wasn't just the smell, it was the thick yellow sstuff that came out of it, it was horrible!! She was ill for days though but as soon as it burst you could tell how relieved she was..

pultneytooner
11-Jul-06, 13:45
Are his cheeks wiggling on your pc?[lol]

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:45
Thanks for the mental polaroid, connie.http://www.ukbandmates.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/roflgif.gifLol, les hope you dont get a big boil on the bum for laughing..lol:eek:

pultneytooner
11-Jul-06, 13:47
Rockchick, could you swap your G for a B.;)

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:48
Rockchick, could you swap your G for a B.;)It probably is, but she was just too shy to say..lol:eek:

RockChick84
11-Jul-06, 13:55

I hope mine doesn't burst! But I'd probably be relieved if it did. It's disgusting having this. And I definitely wouldn't swap my G for a B! Lol

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 14:03
I thought I felt something swollen in my mouth and just looked and theres a huge lump bulging on my gum and my face looks swollen. What is it? I've never had this before. I have had teethache but can't get an appointment.
All above advice ok but also, rinse mouth out with salt water (don't overdo the salt!!), place a hot water bottle/heat pad on face closest to lump (don't burn yourself!!), use tincture of myrrh (from chemists) dabbed gently on affected area with QTip.
James.

ice box
11-Jul-06, 14:07
Another thing that works is get a cotton bud and dab it in t.c.p and gentle apply to mouth taste yuk but helps .

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Jul-06, 14:33
Its definitely an abscess,had one masel'.The pain is something,but when it bursts the taste is very.....rough!!Use a bit o' mouthwash and ye'll be alright.Yer food will taste....rough... for a few days though.Sorry if I sound morbid,but only sharing wit I went through!!!

brokencross
11-Jul-06, 16:51
When I was at sea, a sailor had an abcess and I had to help the dentist, who had come out to the ship, to slit the patients gum and drain the abcess into a bowl. Not a task I would like to repeat, there was tons of stuff.

RoughRider202
11-Jul-06, 18:08
I had similar problems a few weeks back after having my wisdom teeth out. All went fine then 2 weeks later my teeth started to hurt.

Went back to dentist they blamed it on TMJ and charged me £185 for treatment.

Then 2 days after that my face swelled right up went back to dentist and they said it was an absses and rushed me to hull hospital as it was starting to block my airway and i could only open my mouth wide enought to fit 1 finger in it.

Turned out to be an infected blood clot and had to get operated on.

Its been 3 weeks since its all been sorted still cant eat on the side were the blood clot was as fells to weird and also my face is still abit swollen.

But apart from that im in no pain.

Smithy
11-Jul-06, 18:22
I am led to believe if you phone the NHS dental help line you will get an appointment to get the problem area sorted on the same day at a local dentist.

footie chick
11-Jul-06, 18:35
I know someone whos filling fell out last night, no pain, phoned the helpline this morning got appointment for this afternoon sorted;)

LRM
11-Jul-06, 18:42
I am led to believe if you phone the NHS dental help line you will get an appointment to get the problem area sorted on the same day at a local dentist.

make sure you phone in the morning or you will have to wait another day.

canuck
11-Jul-06, 19:45
And then there is the root cannel treatment which Canadian dentists just love to do with these things. I hope that by now the antibiotics have been prescribed and are taking affect. Good luck with it!

pultneytooner
11-Jul-06, 20:22
make sure you phone in the morning or you will have to wait another day. I remember growing up in wick and at the old medical centre you could get an appointment any time you wanted within the proper working working hours of course also the same with a dentist, what has happened now, are the poor dears too overworked making lots of money?

katarina
11-Jul-06, 22:39

sounds like what we used to call a gum-boil. Antibiotics should clear it up.