PDA

View Full Version : Lets

sweetpea
11-Jul-06, 11:47
I recently heard about this scheme - local exchange trading system and wondered if anyone had experience of it?
Its a barter system for the exchange of services anything from altering clothes to singing lessons. Members list offers and wants then deal with each other in LETS. There is a community chest for voluntary donations and you get an account which you must keep in balance.

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 12:02
I recently heard about this scheme - local exchange trading system and wondered if anyone had experience of it?
Its a barter system for the exchange of services anything from altering clothes to singing lessons. Members list offers and wants then deal with each other in LETS. There is a community chest for voluntary donations and you get an account which you must keep in balance.It's funny you mention this, I was just thinking along similar lines last night. I need some wallpapering done but i dont know what I could offer in exchange, Some hoovering maybe?..lol It's a great idea though!!:lol:

changilass
11-Jul-06, 13:32
It's funny you mention this, I was just thinking along similar lines last night. I need some wallpapering done but i dont know what I could offer in exchange, Some hoovering maybe?..lol It's a great idea though!!:lol:

I'll do your wallpapering if you do my ironing lol:lol:

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:36
I'll do your wallpapering if you do my ironing lol:lol:Erm, does anyone know of any wallpapering classes? I'd like to learn..lol:lol:

Billy Boy
11-Jul-06, 14:51
It's funny you mention this, I was just thinking along similar lines last night. I need some wallpapering done but i dont know what I could offer in exchange, Some hoovering maybe?..lol It's a great idea though!!

lol you could exchange .org posting lessons in exchage for your wallpapering [lol] [lol]

sweetpea
11-Jul-06, 14:55
I'm a dab hand at wallpapering and had a good teacher - my granny! When I was growing up I was taught a lot of these sort of skills. Not sure how much emphasis is placed on learning that sort of thing now. I'd like odd jobs done without paying through the nose for it.

the charlatans
11-Jul-06, 15:02
This is almost like the bartering system in the states where a man traded up a red paper clip for a house. (currently in Yahoo news)
Now that takes some beating

they used to do wallpapering lessons in Thurso Tech night classes.

And i would swap baby nappy changing for em pretty much anything!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Jul-06, 15:05
Baby nappy changing..........The job in the world where a job is what its all about!!!:lol: :lol:

the charlatans
11-Jul-06, 15:20
A job indeed. And here it goes again. Chalatans junior has just woken up.

what would you swap then Cedric? some drawing skills for what????

(Cedric is absoultely brilliant at drawing charactures)

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 15:40
I don't fancy doing any of those other jobs Except for posting on the org lol) so I think I'm goig to give the papering a go. Anybody got any tips for me?

Errogie
11-Jul-06, 16:25
I think that barter groups like this were very popular some years ago and I believe that one started up in Orkney.

What you have to do is agree a unit of barter say an "org". You agree how many orgs the wall papering is worth then trade it against so many ironed shirts or bags of peat. I suppose you could post your service up and then accept bids on it, agree the small details and if you like the exchange, Bingo! you have a deal and everyone gets what they want.

Unfortunately I've also heard that the tax man cottoned on to it so that if you receive "payment" for something you do it probably has to appear in your tax return. However this seems grossly unfair on the small man given the bucaneering way big business treats the inland revenue with their expense accounts, company cars and other shady deals. I'm sure that between friends there is a way for this to work if only out of love for each other which is hopefully quite beyond the infernal revenue.

Gandhi said " There is enough in the world for every man's need but not enough in the world for every man's greed"

canuck
12-Jul-06, 00:00
This is almost like the bartering system in the states where a man traded up a red paper clip for a house. (currently in Yahoo news)

It was a Canadian fellow who turned his red paper clip into a house in Kipling, Saskatchewan. He did it on e-bay. The town fathers fixed up a house for him and are using the trade as a promotional ploy.

The bartering system suggested in the thread wouldn't work in Canada because of our taxation of services, although there is some informal bartering allowed within the confines of charitable and seniors organizations. I agree that a barter system makes sense, but it would be a nightmare figuring out value of work and then the liability issues involved. I could volunteer to fix your car, but you probably want it to run the next morning.

willowbankbear
12-Jul-06, 00:03

Surely youve got used to it by now? I have but the smell gets worse when they get older;)

Errogie
12-Jul-06, 08:31
Ah, the transatlantic obsession with liability unfortunately spreading across the pond also. My favourite story is of the guy who saves up long and hard for the ultimate Winnebago camper van proudly took delivery of it then set of down the highway. Next he set the cruise control and nicked back to make a cup of tea with predictable results!

Apparently he sued for his loss because "cruise control" was not fully explained and duly got a replacement vehicle.

Don't know if its true or not but an awful lot of claims are unsuccessful but you never hear about them. Not even sure that I should have taken the risk of getting out of bed this morning but I suppose I have to because I'm just about to head west for the Outer Hebridies with the tent and bicycle or as they sometimes call it over there the "Each Iarannen" or iron horse.

_Ju_
14-Jul-06, 15:05

I,ve been trying to find Thurso tech contacts but can't. Is that the full name>???

lelebo
14-Jul-06, 15:39
full name is north highland college - tel: 01847 896161

canuck
14-Jul-06, 16:23
... I'm just about to head west for the Outer Hebridies with the tent and bicycle or as they sometimes call it over there the "Each Iarannen" or iron horse.

Ah, errogie, you live the good life.