PDA

View Full Version : Pc Crashing

the k
24-Aug-10, 21:37
Hi Can any body help my daughters computer keeps switching its self off the error shows the following
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0dcd.dir00\Mini 082410-06.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0dcd.dir00\sysd ata.xml

dx100uk
25-Aug-10, 00:50
typically those errors relate to an overheating problem or one with memory [ram] issues or some hardware fault.

firstly dowload and run
glary utils
[from the majorgeeks link]

then will prob cure it...but..
you need to take preventative measures......

if this is a desktop [not a laptop]...when was the last time you cleaned it out of dust & fluff?

get down tescos in wick [or elsewhere] and get a can of compressed air [pc cleaner dust stuff]

most pc's are easy to get into by removing a few screws

you don't need to turn the power off, theres nowt inside to hurt you...but ...unplug it to be on the safe side just incase.

now get a sash brush [pastry brushes are good - the long soft loppy ones]
and get your air spray & a hoover and clean out ALL the dust and fluff from the fans, the CPU heatsink fins and fan [the great big silver thing with a fan ontop]
the power supply unit [will have a fan on the outside and slots on the inside]

and the graphics card fan [if one is fitted] you can tell the graphics card - it'll be the one where the lead to the monitor connects to.

get rid of as must dust generally from the PC everywhere inside you can see in - including the motherboard.

see how you get on.

dx

Niall Fernie
25-Aug-10, 09:55
Can't recommend the clean out enough.

My PC was starting to have a few senior moments a few weeks ago so I had a look at the temps and was horrfied to find my CPU running at 95 degrees C.

So pretty much did as prescribed above and now its back down to 55 degrees and the fans are all nice and quiet once again.

I'd recommend getting PC Wizard 2010 from www.cpuid.com (http://www.cpuid.com) , its free and gives more information that you would ever want to know about your PC including temperatures and fan speeds.

grannymoose
03-Sep-10, 00:51
Memory error, it's dropping data while writing to the dump file.

Download memtest. you will find that by google, there's 2 versions, one floppy that you make your own and boot to it or an iso where you burn a disc and boot to that.

The clean out will help also to reduce heat around the components.
also check your CPU temperature in bios under hardware monitor.

If all above has been done and memtest gives the green light, try emptying temp files via the windows clean up uttily, there may be a damaged file and winidows prefetch gets stuck on it while storing the first instruction or rewriting it. dir00 shows the data is in non written format and has not yet been written to the hard drive.