PDA

View Full Version : help with teddy.

balto
24-Aug-10, 15:13
Most of you will be aware that i found a kitten a fortnight ago, but he is still so scared never knowen anything like it, but when you do get to hold him he purrs like a engine lol, but its getting him thats the problem, anyone got any advice how i can help him feel at ease with us, but on a positive note he is using the litter tray now.

teenybash
24-Aug-10, 17:35
Maybe you need to do something that is soooo interesting that he will come to you.
When animals a timorous it's a good idea to get down as close to their level as possible as bending over, reaching down can be seen as threatening.......I won't blah on but, you know what I mean.
A bit of string wiggled like a snake and when he comes to play with it, make it a little shorter and so on till you can reach out a gently put him on you lap, shoulder to set him purring.
You and the girls will soon have him a fearless Teddy in no time.:)

Liz
24-Aug-10, 18:37
One of my cats, Tiggy, was an absolute spitfire as a kitten! I actually kept him in a wee 'cage' as he felt more secure there. I hand fed him which got him to trust me and he could also observe the other pets etc from safety.

A fortnight is very short time and it is good that he sings away when you do eventually get him.

As Teenybash said,get down to his level and just speak to him gently and feed him tasty wee treats. He will soon learn that coming to you means good things!:lol:

Just let him come round in his own time. I found that when Molly first came I rushed things a wee bit at first (had forgotten what it was like:confused) and found that taking things slowly and just being with her,speaking to her etc has paid dividends and she has really come out of herself these past few days.

It would be worth putting some Rescue Remedy in his drinking water as well as this will help him to relax.

brandy
24-Aug-10, 19:33
having tamed a few feral cats in my time.. i always found that time and patience and quiet is the best. give him food.. and dont chase or swoop in on him. you can start off with a bit of meat or milk.. bring it in the room just the two of you.. and sit down on the floor with it a few feets away from him and not near you. once he is happy doing that.. slowly move it in towards you until he is taking from your hand. next step is petting while eating and then its downhill from there! but this is from totally feral cats.
no sudden movments, no loud noise. and lots of calm, time and patience!