PDA

View Full Version : a bit of trivial knowledge

brandy
24-Aug-10, 14:34
the chestnut tree that gave anna frank comfort when she was in hiding, has finally fallen. it was eaten up with fungus and disease. it stood for a 150 years before it finally gave up the fight and collapsed. i read a while back that it was expected to come down before too long then came across pics of it today in the news. if i remember they have taken sapplings from it and replanted elsewhere..
i dont know.. just seems to make something more real having a tangible piece of history that is so very unasuming.. as a tree.. if that makes sense to you.
i know we have all the monuments and the plaques and lessons on what happened here and there.. but i think its the fact that actually touching or seeing something .. that others have the same is what keeps it more alive to me.
ahh well not a serious post a bit of thinking, and as i said trivial knowledge.

Tubthumper
24-Aug-10, 14:50
No more trivial than some of the other stuff on the internet.

I agree, being able to see/ touch something living that was around when history was being shaped... it makes it all seem more real.

Sad to hear its gone, but that's life I suppose.

Bazeye
24-Aug-10, 16:44
Went to see a production of the Ann Frank story with an amateur dramatic society. They were that bad that when the Germans entered the stage someone in the crowd shouted "Shes in the loft".

ducati
24-Aug-10, 19:25
Trees are very evocative as they outlast most living things (there are older fungi apparently). I always admired the vision of the old landscapers/landowners that planted so many trees in the gardens and estates that we enjoy today, knowing they would never see the effect they were aiming for. We have a very large Sycamore that pre-dates the croft house and I spend a little thought wondering what it has seen over the years.

Blimey, waxing a bit lyrical there eh? :eek:

mrlennie
24-Aug-10, 20:30
Sad to hear its gone, but that's life I suppose.

Or death [lol]