PDA

View Full Version : Designing a new kitchen

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:34
Now that I have taken possession of the keys to my new digs I have to begin the task of designing a new kitchen. I don't even know where to begin. I will gladly accept all advise (well within reason and remember I am clergy). I have an IKEA about 15 minutes away. Some say that the best thing to do is get an IKEA kitchen.

Hearing your experiences, both good and bad, would be greatly appreciated. Things to watch for, things to avoid would be helpful.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 01:35
You OWN the place?

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:42
You OWN the place?

Yes, I own it. I was thinking once the kitchen was completed that I would volunteer to host the org get together following the one at Gleber's ranch. I don't have a ranch, but I do have a big enough yard to have a decent game of foootball, either variety.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 01:43
got a digi? can you take a few pics of kitchen area and then we can plan around a room we can see rather than an unknown

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:45
You OWN the place?

Before anyone asks, meenisters (golach's spelling) in Canada mostly own their own homes. On the kitchen issue, I liked the one in the Reay manse. As the first person to live there I did have a few discoveries but I like the kitchen. We have full sized frigs, so that has to be factored into the design.

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:47
got a digi? can you take a few pics of kitchen area and then we can plan around a room we can see rather than an unknown

Now that is a brilliant idea. Yes, I do have a digi. But my laptop computer is at the repair shop so it will be a few days before I can get them posted. Thanks for the idea. The kitchen is full of boxes right now, but I can move them out.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 01:49
why can't you connect camera to PC you're using right now? Now I know I'm an Easterner, so go slowly lol but ??????

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:59
why can't you connect camera to PC you're using right now? Now I know I'm an Easterner, so go slowly lol but ??????

The PC is older (Windows 98) and I haven't got the software loaded on it. I am hesitant even to try to download yahoo. I keep it around for the sermon files which are on it. But that is all I normally use it for. I was surprized that I could actually get it hooked up to the internet at all.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 02:00
No USB ports I suppose?

canuck
11-Jul-06, 02:07
No USB ports I suppose?

It has USB ports, I just don't have the software on it.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 02:08
If you have a decent amount of RAM, software no prob I'd say - try it girl!!

canuck
11-Jul-06, 02:12
If you have a decent amount of RAM, software no prob I'd say - try it girl!!

I almost knew that you were going to say that. The software is packed in a box which is under seven other boxes in a room that I haven't discovered yet. I should get the laptop back tomorrow.

Gus
11-Jul-06, 02:15
Hi Canuck,

Lucky you with an Ikea so close! They do those kitchen catalogue-thingies with cut-outs in the back. You can draw the walls onto the squared bit of card that comes with it, then place all the cut-out fridges and cookers where you think you might want them. Saves you all the hassle of needing software.

Actually, come to think about it, the Ikea website has a kitchen design programme on it too. I think you can download that onto your PC and play with it there.

We got an Ikea kitchen about 5 years ago. We thought we had everything covered, but luckily spoke to the people in the store. They knew about everything we'd missed out and I can only recommend them. It was great fun sticking it all together!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kingetter
11-Jul-06, 02:15
You know what you gotta do then eh?
What camera? Make, model etc - I might can download stuff & send - you on Broadband?

canuck
11-Jul-06, 02:32
Hi Canuck,

Lucky you with an Ikea so close! They do those kitchen catalogue-thingies with cut-outs in the back. You can draw the walls onto the squared bit of card that comes with it, then place all the cut-out fridges and cookers where you think you might want them. Saves you all the hassle of needing software.

Actually, come to think about it, the Ikea website has a kitchen design programme on it too. I think you can download that onto your PC and play with it there.

We got an Ikea kitchen about 5 years ago. We thought we had everything covered, but luckily spoke to the people in the store. They knew about everything we'd missed out and I can only recommend them. It was great fun sticking it all together!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Gus, that sounds great. Thank you. I'll check it out!

BazzaG
11-Jul-06, 09:26
Now that I have taken possession of the keys to my new digs I have to begin the task of designing a new kitchen. I don't even know where to begin. I will gladly accept all advise (well within reason and remember I am clergy). I have an IKEA about 15 minutes away. Some say that the best thing to do is get an IKEA kitchen.

Hearing your experiences, both good and bad, would be greatly appreciated. Things to watch for, things to avoid would be helpful.

hi canuck, Ikea have a kitchen planner download thats very easy to use on there website. I have had lots of fun designer different kitchens

erli
11-Jul-06, 15:06
Oh No Canuck, I didn't know you were moving and I sent you something a couple of weeks ago to the address you gave me way back. Will your mail be redirected?

LRM
11-Jul-06, 16:11
MFI does kitchen designs on computer. I would recommend them as they do it all the time and their kitchens are not flat packed but ready assembled.

rich
11-Jul-06, 21:05
whatever you do, don't do it with IKEA.
it has no cachet whatsoever.
question: what is a cachet?
answer: haven't the slightest idea but I dont think you need one of those wee spanner contraptions to get it going.
also: after 10 years IKEA falls apart. everything in a big heap of chip board.
don't go near it.

Ricco
11-Jul-06, 21:09
whatever you do, don't do it with IKEA.
it has no cachet whatsoever.
question: what is a cachet?
answer: haven't the slightest idea but I dont think you need one of those wee spanner contraptions to get it going.
also: after 10 years IKEA falls apart. everything in a big heap of chip board.
don't go near it.

Jings, Rich. You're talking to yourself now. You need to see a doctor or a vicar. Phew! You've even been answering your own questions. ;)

canuck
11-Jul-06, 21:14
Oh No Canuck, I didn't know you were moving and I sent you something a couple of weeks ago to the address you gave me way back. Will your mail be redirected?

Erli, it is okay. It arrived yesterday.

Ricco, I think that you have rich figured out! It is the Toronto water.

And to everyone else thank you so much for your help. I've even had a great PM with Canadian expertise behind it! Now I know which brands to ask for. Okay rich, no IKEA!

Kingetter
12-Jul-06, 00:08
Are you in a hurry for this 'fab' kitchen?
How long are you planning on living there?
What in a kitchen are your priorities?

chiccool
12-Jul-06, 00:23
When i was young we always went to my grans at the weekends where she always had a big table in the kitchen full of home baking:) . Dont forget the home baking for the grand children .

Kingetter
12-Jul-06, 00:25
When i was young we always went to my grans at the weekends where she always had a big table in the kitchen full of home baking:) . Dont forget the home baking for the grand children .

Great thought but how big is her kitchen?

chiccool
12-Jul-06, 00:40
I think its big enough to hold a party in .:)

Kingetter
12-Jul-06, 00:43
You have inside information?

chiccool
12-Jul-06, 00:52
No i,m just going on by what i,m reading in here after the first couple of posts

canuck
12-Jul-06, 00:52

chiccool - that is a great tip. Grand children are a long way off though. I'm not a mother-in-law yet and after the scare in gleeber's post about mothers-in-law I am not rushing to that stage in my life.

Oh, I wish I had room for a big table. But it is a tiny wee kitchen and I have all the "stuff" from one of those big kitchens to put into it. So, I need an awful lot of storage space. And then there is this thing that some wacky designer came up with when Canadian homes were built 50 plus years ago. There is an heat register in the middle of the floor. So I have to work around that. I would love an island, but I don't think that there is enough room. I went to find a tape measure to figure out the size of the floor space. No tool kit appeared, but I did find my golf clubs!

I'll go with the biggest table I can get into the room. And a big refrigerator for lots of milk to go with the cookies.

I am extremely appreciative of all your help. (Well I take rich's comments a little less seriously than the rest.) Once I get a few designs done maybe I'll post them and we can have a poll to vote on the one to go with.

chiccool
12-Jul-06, 01:10
Life goes past you quicker than you know it to .Hope you have a good life out there , or a good holiday .

canuck
12-Jul-06, 01:44
Life goes past you quicker than you know it to .Hope you have a good life out there , or a good holiday .

chiccool, I have a good life here. But it was made into a wonderful life when I got to know the people of caithness.org. I loved my time living in the county and now the best parts just stay alive through the fabulous orgers.

Sporran
12-Jul-06, 19:18
Canuck, if you can get a "Lazy Susan" as part of your new kitchen ensemble, that would be helpful. The first house we owned had a wee kitchen as well, and the rotating Lazy Susan cabinet held quite a number of items in a small space. I'd also go for a medium to light coloured wood. Our first house had very dark pine cabinets, and they made the kitchen look even smaller. In our current house, we have a medium sized kitchen, and the cabinets are a mid tone. The oak has been stained a golden honey shade, and it's lovely - so warm and inviting!

canuck
12-Jul-06, 21:59
Canuck, if you can get a "Lazy Susan" as part of your new kitchen ensemble, that would be helpful. The first house we owned had a wee kitchen as well, and the rotating Lazy Susan cabinet held quite a number of items in a small space. I'd also go for a medium to light coloured wood. Our first house had very dark pine cabinets, and they made the kitchen look even smaller. In our current house, we have a medium sized kitchen, and the cabinets are a mid tone. The oak has been stained a golden honey shade, and it's lovely - so warm and inviting!

Thanks sporran. I figured a light colour was the way to go. I am even thinking white, as long as it has the appropriate "cachet". I have a tendency to whiz stuff off the back of the Lazy Susan and not be able to retrieve it. But after your advise I shall keep one in mind when looking.

Tristan
13-Jul-06, 09:23
[QUOTE=canuck] And then there is this thing that some wacky designer came up with when Canadian homes were built 50 plus years ago. There is an heat register in the middle of the floor. So I have to work around that. /QUOTE]

Should be easy enough to move the heat register (probably a DIY job) so dont let that limit your kitchen. If they move it they can bring it up through the kick plate / plinth

canuck
14-Jul-06, 06:09
Who would have thought that rich’s soliloquy on “cachet” would have been the bit that sent me down the pathway I decided to follow. Ricco, it must be the vicar in me. I began to think about the value I wanted to add to the house. IKEA’s 10 year self life would be plenty, in fact maybe more than I needed.

Sporran talked about using light colours and I went to white. Maybe I could paint the existing doors with melamine paint. Tristan had suggested Do It Yourself and I do love to paint. And there is already a Lazy Susan in one of the cupboards.

Kingetter had suggested getting one piece at a time. That got me thinking centre island. So I was off to IKEA after all. I had my new measuring tape in hand. (The one which I purchased yesterday wouldn’t rewind so I had to exchange it on my way.) I discovered that one needs 3 clear feet around an island. Well that meant either an island or a table but not both. I listened to coolchick and went with the table. On my way out I stopped to look in the sale room. There it was, the perfect cupboard. I measured, it fit. I was elated. And as LRM encouraged, it wasn't flat packed!

With my purchase on the cart I made my way to the appropriate desk to arrange for delivery. They don’t deliver pre-assembled floor models. What!!! I had already purchased it. No refund on sale items. Grrrr. It sure wasn’t going to fit in my car. So there in the lobby of IKEA I entertained half of Burlington as I disassembled my cupboard and the two book cases that I had gotten such a good deal on.

Finally, it was out to the car. It took a bit of organizing, but I got it all in except for the two long pieces. They went on the roof. I used enough “free” twine to have paid for the delivery twice over. Then the discovery that I had tied the driver’s door shut and I sure wasn’t climbing through the open window. By the time I was finished the store was closed. And locked inside were the instructions (if they ever found them) of how to put it all back together.

On the way home I wondered why the truck behind me was following so far back. I pulled over and checked. Yup, the load had shifted a wee bit. So on I went at a very slow pace. I had no idea of the steepness to the altitude climb going up the Niagara escarpment to Waterdown. I was just glad that I didn’t need to drive this load along the A9.

I made it home safely. Who knows when I shall get the pieces reassembled, but it will need to be soon while I can still remember which bits go where.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. Gus, BazzaG I discovered how to work the kitchen design program on the internet so I can keep working on this project. My next one: a patio.

But please rich, don’t ponder the word cachet again. On the bright side, I have saved enough pesos to afford a little gift to the Make Poverty History Campaign and maybe almost enough for a plane ticket to Scotland.

golach
14-Jul-06, 09:09
Wow who has been a busy little Orger then, well done Canuck:D